Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

a few questions

This is a discussion on a few questions within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; i have just installed the F@ST2504n and its not as good as i had hoped for. first i cant seem ...

waspsoton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cosham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus dsl-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

a few questions

i have just installed the F@ST2504n and its not as good as i had hoped for. first i cant seem to select n as the mode. this surley cant be right. also the signal is no better than the last sky router. any ideas

2. Advertisement
      AdamLC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen Internet
      Router: TP-Link Deco M5
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: a few questions

For some reason it doesn't list N in the options. On my router it is set to AUTO and my devices are always connected at the full N speed 144. What is yours set to?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Remember to get N speed, you need an N rated adapter. You will see no difference if your adapter is G rated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Whoever composed the firmware for Sky's Sagem 2304n and Sagem 2504N routers failed to get someone to proof check the GUI. Both of the routers do not show a clear option in the WiFi speed that shows 72mbps (2304n) or 144mbps (2504N).

With both routers you need to select "54G Auto" or "54G Performance" to get the highest broadcast speed.

You can check what speed is being broadcast by using software such as inSSIDer.

Next you need to have the right WiFi adaptor to benefit from the connection speed. It isn't just a case of using a WiFi n adaptor, but one that will connect at up to the max speed. Many will connect at 65mb/s, for example. When I looked in the shops last summer, many Laptops and Netbooks on sale would only connect at up to 150mb/s when using a router which broadcasts using paired channels.

However, like the BT HomeHub v3, the Sagem 2504N broadcasts on a single channel at it's full speed. If you have an adaptor which would connect at up to 150mbps on a paired channel, it will only connect at up to 72mb/s on the Sagem 2504N.

Is it complicated? Hopefully not once you understand what is going on.

Is it misleading? WiFi n covers a range of speeds and allows for the pairing of channels on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, but starts at 65mbps on the 2.4GHz channels. WiFi n goes up to 450mbps when a router uses 3 channels, but you will need a router and an adaptor to support this.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Will71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Arrow Re: a few questions

Hi,

Just came up with the same issue of only 72mbps on at 2504n - much dissapointment i can tell you! Best i can have till Sky get round to Fibre in my area.

Anyway - how does one go about identifying what the capabilities on the network device? i have one built into a new dell laptop and another on a mini usb adapter. is there a simple way of identifying if they can recieve at 144?

thanks

(first post!!)

Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Will71 View Post
      Just came up with the same issue of only 72mbps on at 2504n - much dissapointment i can tell you! Best i can have till Sky get round to Fibre in my area.

Anyway - how does one go about identifying what the capabilities on the network device? i have one built into a new dell laptop and another on a mini usb adapter. is there a simple way of identifying if they can recieve at 144?
      If the adaptor is capable of achieving 300mbps (or more) on the 2.4GHz channels, then it should connect at up to 144mbps on the Sagem 2504N.

From what I saw when looked last summer, most adaptors shipped with Netbooks and Laptops were capable of only supporting up to 72mbps on a single channel. Any faster requires a router which woks at up to 300mbps. The same Notebooks and laptops would then connect at 150mbps on the dual channel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Will71 (18-04-12)

Thanks

Streangely the laptop has now been going between 72 and 130, but usually settles at 130. i brought it closer to the router to see if its a signal thing, but not made any difference. strange! its an intel 1030n adapter in a dell. that lappy isnt doing anything too intense, so i guess it will be fine. better than the 54 i was getting before today!

Trying to find out details on the mini adapter now.

I have another laptop that i have an n 300mbps expresscard coming today. glad i want for that one!

Thanks

mmm....the mini adapter says 150 in its blurb, from what you say that means the most i am going to get on it is 72. confusing to say the least.

Addon Technology Ltd.Products

is the main issue here the fact that the router is running at 2.4ghz instead of 5?

ta

Thanks

mmm....the mini adapter says 150 in its blurb, from what you say that means the most i am going to get on it is 72. confusing to say the least.

Take a look at the thread linked below. It was an attempt by me to explain many of the different WiFi system currently in use:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...on-speeds.html

The Addon NWU275 will connect at 150mb/s on a paired channel. The NWU280, NWU281 and NWU285 will all connect at up to 300mbps on a paired channel and they should connect at up to 144mbps on a single channel.

There are alternative WiFi dongles available too. Netgear has a range that will connect to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz channels, for example, at 300mbps or more when a suitable router is present.

is the main issue here the fact that the router is running at 2.4ghz instead of 5?
      The connection speed has nothing to do with the 5GHz channels. I put that in in case someone had an adaptor which doesn't work on the 2.4GHz channels as 5GHz is becoming more popular. The Sky router only works on the 2.4GHz channels.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Will71 (19-04-12)