Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Port Forwarding help

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by the_sky_goat can you upload a screenshot of your router firewall rules please? 'ere tis; Thanks for the ...

tcrooks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: PEVENSEY
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Port Forwarding help

Quote Originally Posted by the_sky_goat View Post
      can you upload a screenshot of your router firewall rules please?
      'ere tis;

Thanks for the info.

I didn't understand the other comments about not being able to access the web site from my LAN using the domain name, in this case eastbourne.selfip.org, as I had no problem at all when using a Linksys WAG354G router.

I do have a network of Mac systems but I don't see why this should make a difference. I am using OS X inbuilt Apache web server and haven't changed anything with this for ages.

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mossywell View Post
      Worry not - I'll post the fool-proof method when testing is complete. However, I only want to do one test at a time. I get easily confused, you see!
      I'm really looking forward to this. As I commented elsewhere I'm a Mac user but feel sure that I can find the appropriate alternatives to Windows commands - it is Unix under the hood of OS X after all!

the_sky_goat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01243
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - I can see you website from here - the church site. It is working fine. The reason it is not working when you try it from within your internal network is as mentioned before - I appreciate that it worked with the linksys router, but the Netgear router does not support the address translation needed to convert your request back from an external address to an internal one.

The solution for you - if you don't want to keep accessing it from 192.168.0.3 is to create an entry in your HOSTS file that looks like this:

192.168.0.3 eastbourne.selfip.org

You can find the HOSTS file here C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

edit is with notepad.

Hope this helps

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a server running quite happily via my Sky Router as you can see. I do not use DynDNS, although I would be happy to look at your settings. I also have uPnP turned off. In WAN setup you should have no ticks in any of the three boxes.
      I have no ticks in any of the 3 boxes in WAN Setup.

I have got Dynamic DNS setup for my host name - eastbourne.selfip.org together with my user name and password for DynDNS - and I have wild cards ticked although I think this is not relevant.

I do have uPnP turned on at present for VOIP, video conferencing, and remote management of other Macs. All this is working quite happily - maybe one of the reasons why Netgear products have been favourites of Mac OS X users. However in my earlier trials and tribulations with port forwarding I did switch it off but to no effect.

The only other information I can offer is that the network here at home consists of the Sky DG834GT router with a desktop Mac ( which acts as a web server - if only) connected by ethernet and WPA wireless networking for 3 laptops (including one running WinXP) plus a Nintendo Wii, and connected to the Sky router a Linksys WAG354G with WEP networking for Nintendo DS's. The only thing that doesn't work is port forwarding for web hosting.

This is the ShieldsUP! report that I've just done;

So I'm at the "Hmmm" stage.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi - I can see you website from here - the church site. It is working fine.

The solution for you - if you don't want to keep accessing it from 192.168.0.3 is to create an entry in your HOSTS file that looks like this:

192.168.0.3 eastbourne.selfip.org

You can find the HOSTS file here C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
      Wow - thanks! I'll have to look into the equivalent for MAC OS X. I didn't have to do anything about NAT on the Linksys just set up the port forwarding rule. I'm astounded to find that the Netgear router doesn't support NAT - that is correct? How does the uPnP work I wonder?

I expect there are many others who will appreciate your reply. Thanks once again.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I get the same answer when I run Shields Up! on my system - but I am running a server on port 80. The port should normally only show as open if a server is running on that responding device - i.e. the router. It should normally remain hidden if the router is forwarding port 80 traffic to another machine on the network. If you go to this page and click on the probe button it should report it being open - https://www.grc.com/port_80.htm

As for the issue of NAT - the router does NAT, it just doesn't support the looping of the address - this is pretty common with many routers.

The HOSTS file for MAC OSX should be found in the top level /etc directory.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcrooks View Post
      I'm astounded to find that the Netgear router doesn't support NAT - that is correct?
      Well I had another look at the DG834GT manual and on page 5-9 of my version it says
      • Local computers must access the local server using the computer’s local LAN address
      (192.168.0.11 in the example in Figure 5-6 above). Attempts by local computers to access the
      server using the external WAN IP address will fail.
      This section of the manual does cover NAT, and of course address translation does work, but the router firmware just isn't as flexible as that for other routers I've experienced.

My thanks to anyone who has help shed light on this. Just gotta get another ISP line to the house! or use a non-Netgear router?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I wouldn't bother myself - I would just live with not accessing the domain name directly from inside your network, or adding the name to the HOSTS file.

Anyway - glad it's sorted out!

sghog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to thank many people for enabling me to return to using my own router (netgear dg834g). I've only had Sky Broadband for a few days after switching from Pipex. I thought I had made a big mistake but everything is back to normal - almost.

The problem I have is about a month ago, I could download through Bittorrent no problem with speeds of upto 100kb download (on a 1meg line). It suddenly dropped to <5kb download speeds and has been the same since. I just suspected Pipex had put a block on Ports 6881-6885 which i was using. Changing to Sky has made no difference in speeds. I have tried using Port 10000 and it seems to be a bit better but I notice there is 0kb on the upload. I checked the port on grc.com
      Results were....
      Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED)
      Unsolicited Packets: PASSED
      Ping Echo: PASSED

I'm not to sure about what ports you can and can't use for bittorrent but does any body ahve any idea how I can fix this problem? Also can isp's block incoming data on any port?

waz101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161736
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Does anybody know a solution to this?

I haven't figured out is how to redirect an incoming port, lets say 25000/tcp to a specific machine on my private. LAN to another port lets say 3000/tcp.
      Redirection/fwding to a machine to the same port works of course like a charm.

Any ideas, is it possible at all and if not what alternatives exists to achieve this?

Thx in adv

Waz

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)