Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Address reservation stopped working recently dg834gt

This is a discussion on Address reservation stopped working recently dg834gt within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, Its been a while. If fact so much has changed I've just been reading about MER and the ...

phmilesc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bluebell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Address reservation stopped working recently dg834gt

Hello all,

Its been a while. If fact so much has changed I've just been reading about MER and the firmware update (WPA2).

For a number of weeks I've had issues with wireless dropouts, router lockups and slow responses. But I did not until recently have the time to investigate fully. Usually after a power recycle things would return to normallity. A clue I did not identify until recetly was the inability to communicate with the printer on the network by one or more of the resident PCs or laptops. Also some PC. where reporting address conflicts.

When I experienced a drop out yesterday. I decided to do a bit more digging. To my surprise I discovered most devices had the wrong IP addresses.

My initial suspicion was that one device was not registered properly either in the wireless access list or in the address reservation. But I could not see any issues. Then I figured one of the NIC's might have gone a bit rouge and was not releasing its address properly. So I reduced the reservation list to build it up again. To my surprise , the router continued to make available IP addresses to new requests though DHCP beyond the high limit.

Well , I'm wondering what could have changed to cause this issue. I've read about netgear router issues with address reservation some years ago. But it always seemed to work without issue for me until recently. I've also read about apple phones causing issues.

For now, I've got nothing in the address reservation and I'm using fixed IP's for some devices in order to keep everything running smoothly. So far so good for 24hrs.

Thoughts wecome.

Regards.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Address reservation stopped working recently dg834gt

This is issue has been reported on this forum with the recent firmware update for the Netgear DG834GT.

Some members have been offered a replacement router from Sky as a result.

Another potential solution would be to set the IP Address manually on the devices and restrict the automatically allocated addresses to a different range. For example, by setting the first address to be allocated to 192.168.0.30, you would be free to set the addresses 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.29 manually on various devices.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

phmilesc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bluebell Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thats interesting about the possible replacement. I'll keep that in mind. That solution is close to what I have adopted. Seems to be stable. Sorry I didnt spot this issue in any other threads, having not read through a lot of other posts yet. Cheers.

Thanks

Don't worry about not spotting it, I suspect those threads are several pages away now. I pointed out that it was known as I meant to reassure you that it is the router and a new issue for the router following the update.

As for replacing the router, please do research the router first and consider if you are interested in Sky's new broadband product, due to be launched next month: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre.

Your exchange has been upgraded to support FTTC. So since you also have Sky's LLU equipment, provided that there is a suitable FTTC Green Street Cabinet near you, you could upgrade to the product.

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Ahhhh, I've got this problem too! Been chatting to them on Twitter and have been told that they won't support me because I'm using features of the router that they don't support!
      And they've said they won't replace the router.
      I asked why I couldn't use my own router and they've said that I signed up to their terms and conditions that said I would use theirs!

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Skys latest reply to me was:
      'Your router iss performing the funcationality which we require it to do as part of your service. The additional functionality you wish it to do, which it is not, is additional capability which we do not support. Therefore the router is not faulty and we would not replace it'

Great service once again

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

'Your router iss performing the funcationality which we require it to do as part of your service
      So what they are saying is that they are only supplying a modem.

If this is the case why have they made these router functions available in the device they have supplied? They have locked out many of the functions so why leave in ones they wont support? If the wireless fails completely will they say that is something they wont support? Sky support appears to be going downhill rather than improving.

Has your router been upgraded to the latest firmware? eg, Do you have WPA2 wireless security?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It really angers me when someone at Sky says that they won't support a feature that the router is designed to perform. They then turn around and insist that you must use their router with their firmware, which messes up the function of the router. Routers are supposed to direct specific traffic according to how you desire, not just blindly lead you through everything and hope that it works.

There are some really good people within Sky, but there are also some really thick people too.

Since that person is not keen on replacing the router, phone Sky and see what you can do. It may require you speaking to CST or a manager.

The alternative would be to use your own router.

In the mean time, keep your fingers crossed that you get a Customer Survey email.