Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

How to turn off wireless access on d-link router?

This is a discussion on How to turn off wireless access on d-link router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, sorry if this is a daft question - I'm a newbie here. i HAVE THE D-LINK (think it is ...

person is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

How to turn off wireless access on d-link router?

Hi, sorry if this is a daft question - I'm a newbie here. i HAVE THE D-LINK (think it is DSL-2640 - but it doesn't even tell you on the box!)
      Someone has been hacking into my wireless network and changing things on my computer, then emailing back boasting about it. I wanted to change the network key, but when I logged into the router, I found that I don't seem to be able to change anything. I wondered if I could turn off the wireless access, as I only have one computer and can just use it via the wire. I've installed a better firewall and hope that it might improve things. It just strikes me as dumb to have everything locked down so you can't change the key when you've been hacked.

So - am I missing something? Is it possible to turn off wireless access or change the key or other security settings? Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: How to turn off wireless access on d-link router?

Firstly, if any harm has been done and you are able to identify the individual, do contact the local Police. The person who has hacked your WiFi has broken several laws.

In case the individual has made any unsuitable changes to your router, whilst the power is on, press and hold the 'Reset' button on the rear of it for 10 seconds. This will wipe any customised settings.

Connect to your router via an Ethernet cable if you haven't already.

Next, log in to the router, navigate to the following pages and change the things listed:

Maintenance --> Password

Change the router's log in password and click 'Apply'. The old one was 'sky' and is common to all Sky routers.

You will be asked to sign in again after this and put in the new password.

Setup

Change your SSID from the default 'SKY12345' to something else. Do not use you family name or house number or any other specific clue to who you are. One of my neighbours has name his WiFi after the classic motor vehicle that he has. I guess we all know who that is and if someone wanted, they could easily target his home.

Scroll down and you will see the heading 'Wireless Access Point'. If you untick the 'Enable Wireless Access Point' box, this will disable the WiFi. Should you want the WiFi enabled again, this is where to do it.

Scroll down a little further and you will see the heading 'Security Options'. Select either 'WPA2-PSK (AES)' or 'WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed mode). Do not use WEP, this is easy to crack.

Scroll down further still and set your own 'Network Key'. Make a note of this for your benefit.

Finally click 'Apply' at the bottom of the page.

Maintenance --> Backup Settings

Select the option to save your settings to your computer.

That will all make things a little more difficult for the intruder, but not entirely impregnable.

If you use HomePlugs or PowerLine adapters, check the instructions that came with them and ensure that you have synchronised them to each other. Some are open and should a neighbour have one, he/she can easily get to your LAN by mistake at first. Anything after that is once more illegal.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just in case this individual has changed anything in your router, reset it by pushing a pin into the little hole on the rear. Hold it there for 10secs or until the lights flash. This will return it to the same state as you got it.

When you have done that follow Scubbies advice and in addition untick where it says broadcast SSID.

It is important to remember that if you have to reset your router at any time in the future, the wireless will be enabled with the default network key. So it must be disabled again.

then emailing back boasting about it
      If this person has emailed you, unless they are very clever, they have left you their email address, either in as the sender or in the email header. If they are using an ISP address, eg, @btinternet.com, @sky.com, report them to their ISP.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If this person has emailed you, unless they are very clever, they have left you their email address, either in as the sender or in the email header. If they are using an ISP address, eg, @btinternet.com, @sky.com, report them to their ISP.
      Just thinking about this a little...

Of course the ISP would shown as Sky if they were connected to your router at the time, so be careful before jumping to any conclusion here.

As for proving that they were connected to your computer, there is a fake page I have seen occasionally where someone had managed to display the contents of my computer on a web page. It would be very simple to include the same coding in an email. If this is the evidence, then it is probably fake.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Of course the ISP would shown as Sky if they were connected to your router at the time, so be careful before jumping to any conclusion here.
      That's true Scubbie, but unless they had the email username and password, they would not be able to send using your account. I think if they faked it the true addy would appear in the email header.

The OP should check that Remote Management is not turned on in his router. That is probably the first thing a home router hacker would do.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.