Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help Blocking Xbox After midnight

This is a discussion on Help Blocking Xbox After midnight within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; it was great while it worked, its just when it gave him a new ip it let him back on ...

sparkymarky87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help Blocking Xbox After midnight

it was great while it worked, its just when it gave him a new ip it let him back on for some reason, this is the dilemma i am facing now. He connects wirelessly with his xbox 360 slim.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I'm afraid anything you do can be overcome if the miscreant has physical access to the router. Resetting the router will remove any settings you make. If he does not have physical access change the router admin password and keep it to yourself.

Maybe a lesson like this?
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gener...tml#post356240

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

sorry when i say reset i mean he un plugged it....does that still lose the settings i change?

thanks

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Unplugging the router will not loose the settings.

Tom's suggestion about changing the access password is an important thing to consider. Make is easy for you to remember, but not one that you use elsewhere.

The default password (sky) is posted all over the web and would be very easy to find.

I wonder if someone taught him how to change the MAC address on his Xbox. If this is the case, find out how to lock him out of those settings and block him on the Xbox.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

He's Definatly not capable of changing his maC address and im pretty sure his MAC address is unchanged. the problem i have is with xbox live you can give him an allowance to use up with his xbox. we tried this and we basicly found that he would stay up all night playing 2 nights in a row to use up his allowance then he wud stay off it. This is Why i would rather try and set up a way that limits him to a time every night. I use a BT home hub 3 at my house and its easy to set up what i need to to do i just select his device from a list of MAC addresses set the times and bang its done.........the sky router doesnt seem to have this feature?

cheers

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sadly the standard firmware that Sky uses is pretty basic and as you have correctly spotted, it is somewhat limited in this area.

What you could consider doing would be to extract the log in details from the Sky router and use a non-sky router that does support these features.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

A restart/reboot will not change the settings.I suspect he has set the xbox up with a manual address, which would over-ride the router setting. It is very difficult to block a determined teenager. You could change the router address and range to something like 192.168.7.xx Set him up with a fixed address and block it in the firewall as before. This may slow him down for a few nights until he figures out what you have done..

I would try the Block Sites route and see how that goes. The only disadvantage is only one machine can be given full access.

Unplugging and locking up the router after a specific time may be the only sure way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

He hasnt chaned anythin on his xbox...he really isnt that bright. iv just checked again his xbox is still on the same ip as it was when he restarted the router? also i have noticed it will only start blocking him once he turns his xbox off and back on? dunno if that helps?

Thanks

He hasnt chaned anythin on his xbox...he really isnt that bright.
      Maybe he has a bright friend who is coaching him.

Did you turn off UPnP? That may be overriding the port block.

TomD

Useful Utilites

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

When he restarts the router its time will reset to the default until it updates it from the timeserver - if the router's default time/ date (probably midnight) is within the allowed schedule, and he established a connection before the timeserver updated then I'd guess it is possible that it might defeat "blocked sites" settings, but I would think that outbound scheduled firewall rules still ought to work, but I'm not sure.

If he is setting a fixed IP addess, or changing the xbox's MAC to bypass the router's block, then you could make that slightly more difficult by reserving fixed IP addresses for each of your devices and putting in an outbound firewall rule in to always block all traffic for all lan IP addresses, and adding additional rules which you'll need to move above the general blocking rule to always allow the IP addresses of each of your devices and one to allow his xbox by schedule. He could still get around that by using an IP address from one of the machines you allow.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 13-02-12 at 02:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12