Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dlink router locks up when connected to phone line

This is a discussion on Dlink router locks up when connected to phone line within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has come across this and if there is a possible solution. To begin ...

Splont is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dlink router locks up when connected to phone line

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this and if there is a possible solution. To begin with a quick history lesson!

Back in September last year we lost the internet for a couple of hours, when it came back magically (Sky person I spoke to said they did nothing) my speed had halved from 7mb to 3.5mb. After we had about 9 BT engineers out, god knows how many calls to Sky and a replacement router we magically got back to 7.4mb just before Christmas when a Sky rep reset the line, bam from 3.5mb to 7.4mb! Confusing. And it has been this way until this morning.

The replacement modem we got was the black Dlink one (not wireless N) which was good because it matches the AV equipment better and seems to give me better wireless coverage.

This morning I was on the internet setting some downloads off on my NAS and I went afk for 5 mins and came back to discover internet had gone, I had a dual dial tone on the line and the router had locked up completely, but I could not investigate further as I had to go to work. At work I looked online and the general consensus was it was a message waiting. Never knew we had this service with Sky (we have the phone line with them) but tried the 1571 number when we got back and sure enough a message was waiting from DECEMBER from a BT engineer!!! I cleared this and returned to a normal dial tone.

I then turned the router off/on and the internet light flashes yellow and then stays yellow, the second light (tick) slowly flashes green and I cannot access the router interface nor anything else on my internal network. I rebooted it again with no connection to the phone line and the internal network is fine, as soon as I connect the phone line it locks up again.

I then dug out the old white Netgear router and this connected first time at 6.9mb!

So has anyone seen this behaviour before? Do you think the Dlink router is broken? Any information appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Dlink router locks up when connected to phone line

From your description it sound like your router has failed.

Sadly this does happen from time to time.

Unplug the white Netgear and give Sky a call. Let them know that you have borrowed an old router from a friend to confirm things.

When you get the replacement router remember to swap both the PSU and the router over.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.