Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router

This is a discussion on Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, my 1st post, im desperate and see there is alot of knowledgeable folks on here so I joined ...

combat squirrel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01248
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router

Hi all, my 1st post, im desperate and see there is alot of knowledgeable folks on here so I joined to ask your advice.

I have sky unlimited on the Sagem 2504N router.......never in my life have I used such a piece of garbage.

My network consists of (in the order it is connected away from the sky router):

Sky Router (on board wireless disabled to try and take 'load' off the router as its awful) ----> Asus RTN56U N wireless ----> wirelessly connects to 3 laptops and ipad and iphone and xbox 360 wireless.

Same Sky Router ----> connects to TP Link gigabit switch 1 (as router is 100mb only)
      ---> switch is connected to another TP link gigabit switch 2 (cable is 20m long) which has 3 network IP cameras attached to it)
      ---> switch one is connected directly to another ip camera
      ---> 3rd plug in switch one connected to a NetGear gigabit switch

--->Net gear switch is connected to:
      - WHS 2011 PC (Always on)
      - Another IP Camera
      - My 'main everyday use pc'
      - view sonic network media player (only used when watchin somet on telly obviously)
      - a 3rd backup PC that backs up everything on the network including the home server (only on once a month)

Now when everything is on (apart from the backup pc).......the networks collapses, the reason I have so many switches is mainly for wiring reasons, its easier to have one cable going to network switch 'nodes'

For some reason when my main pc is on, the network really begins to drag its heals, and when its off, its not to bad, no i dont have virus's etc as its a clean install... also the WHS is serving and sharing media to the whole network, wired or wireless

When i say the network collapses, I mean my internet connection (for some STUPID) reason, drops to like 0.8mb, normally its 16mb..... also my networked IP cameras are dropping frames when viewing them in ispy on the home server......it feels like the sky router just cant handle it for whatever reason, even though I have tried to isolate it off a switch (it was worse before the switch was in place)

Now iv obviously tried to make the Asus 56 the main router and DHCP server, but of course, as you know, sky FORCE us to use there **** and **** routers, but i couldnt get this to work.....I also tried enabling DMZ on the sky router and make the asus the dhcp server.....didnt work.........so currently I only have the asus as an 'access' point......also my sky router connects via MER

And for the 1st time tonight the router is now dropping the connection every 40 mins or so, and is now only connecting at 7.5mb ......what the.............

People what can I do to remove skys abomination from my network ? Also is my network set up 'sensibly' ? How can I extract my username/password from the 2504n sky hidiousness?

HELP HELP HELP

PS: When I turn off all my network cameras, bar one, and my main pc, and only have the server running and say 3 laptops on the wireless network , it all runs 'as expected'......please tell me sky didnt think more than 3-4 pc's would b used with there router....there is no technical reason it cannot handle it, it just doesnt, also as for internal connections slowing the external WAN, i have no idea.....this never happened with my old router when i didnt have sky. This of course was working 'ok' before it dropped to ADSL1 speeds tonight

SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW HELP!

EDIT: Just checked my noise margin which is at 6.2 and 6.4 .... this is bad I believe ? It could explain why my net dropped to 7mb, line attenuation is 20 down and 24 up, so thats ok
      Last edited by combat squirrel; 12-01-12 at 12:59 AM.

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router

For some reason when my main pc is on, the network really begins to drag its heals, and when its off, its not to bad
      When I turn off all my network cameras, bar one, and my main pc, and only have the server running and say 3 laptops on the wireless network , it all runs 'as expected'
      I'm not clear on what exactly appears to contribute to the problem. Is it just the main PC being on, or is it the main PC, all network cameras (bar one).

Also, when you say

drops to like 0.8mb, normally its 16mb
      Are you referring to the sync speed of the modem, or are you referring to an online speed test?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNutWalter View Post
      I'm not clear on what exactly appears to contribute to the problem. Is it just the main PC being on, or is it the main PC, all network cameras (bar one).

Also, when you say

Are you referring to the sync speed of the modem, or are you referring to an online speed test?
      1) It slows to a crawl when the network cameras are all on, obviously I want these on 24/7. It slows down a little when each camera is turned on one at a time, until when all the required cameras are on, its crawling.

When the main PC is on, its ok if all the cameras are off, but with the main PC it adds to lag more, the difference with this PC and the others is that its connected via cable, and not wireless. Also I have software on my main PC (genie timeline) that backs up this PC to the WHS 2011 PC.....when timeline is running (i.e. copying lots of large files to the server), the network begins to drag its heals more and more.....the network cameras start to miss frames, freeze up for 4-5 seconds and resume, things like that.

Basically id say im a 'heavy user' in terms of the internal network, but I didnt think it would be this slow.

2) The sync speed of the modem is maintained but the speed drops to 0.8 when everythings running, this is according to speedtest, and also its very noticeably running very slow, takes minutes to load a webpage....hence why I tested it with speedtest.net

Thanks

Also iv just checked me line stats and the noise margin is 5.9 up and down :O, this is bad right ? also its only syncing at ADSL 1 speeds right now, athough it seems stable.

Just to be clear I have 2 problems now........one is all the above about the router not being able to handle my network

and 2 which just happened last night is my line speed has been cut in half over what it has been since August 2011, the line sync speed is 7989, until last night it was 16899

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I would seriously suggest that you think about getting a non-sky router with 300mb/s WiFi and 1Gbit LAN.

Take a look at this thread to see which router would be a good choice for you:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

Why do I suggest this? It sounds like the throughput on your WiFi and LAN are more than what the router can handle with all that video streaming.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would seriously suggest that you think about getting a non-sky router with 300mb/s WiFi and 1Gbit LAN.

Take a look at this thread to see which router would be a good choice for you:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

Why do I suggest this? It sounds like the throughput on your WiFi and LAN are more than what the router can handle with all that video streaming.
      Sounds good to me, the ASUS is a good router apparently, but id just need a modem to connect to sky........... I have read through many many threads on this forum but I cannot find a guide on how to extract my username and password off the n2504 router..........I tried the guides already on here but the data wasnt saved in the 'backup' firmware off the router.....

What modem do you suggest that I can connect to my ASUS 56N ?

And any ideas HOW on earth I can extract my log in details for sky, im on a MER connection right now

EDIT: Just ran tracert from my router and got this if any use:

C:\>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
      2 331 ms 22 ms 27 ms bm0.wnbg-dhcp.isp.sky.com [90.222.176.126]
      3 * 271 ms 25 ms 10.245.184.209
      4 35 ms 39 ms 39 ms 89.200.131.191
      5 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 212.58.238.189
      6 * * * Request timed out.
      7 * * 32 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
      8 * 95 ms 203 ms 132.185.254.142
      9 314 ms 53 ms * virtual-vip-231.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

10 33 ms 31 ms 32 ms virtual-vip-231.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Trace complete.

Thanks

You have Broadcom equipment in your exchange.

As for which router, if you are looking at a separate modem / cable router combination, then there are a variety to choose from.

Whilst there are some lovely Netgear routers, specification wise, I would strongly recommend that you check out the Netgear forums first.

RangeMax Next Routers - NETGEAR Forums

Of course there are many other good Cable routers available, but I would suggest that you look at what you want to do with your router/Internet connection/home network and see what is available from there. Everyone's budgets are different and with the issue of MER still in the air, I am reluctant to say 'Yes the ABC Widget Modem is excellent, go buy it'.

I am using the Netgear DGND3700 which can be used either as an ADSL or Cable router, although not particularly well as a Cable router it now seems. I have connected to my Sagem 2304n, with the Sagem effectively acting as a Modem, through the Ethernet WAN port. There are some firmware issues outstanding, but Netgear have just released another Beta firmware which I am testing.

As for the Password Generator, the site that used to be excellent and very popular is still down. However there is a great new tool available here:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-web-page.html

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You have Broadcom equipment in your exchange.

As for which router, if you are looking at a separate modem / cable router combination, then there are a variety to choose from.

Whilst there are some lovely Netgear routers, specification wise, I would strongly recommend that you check out the Netgear forums first.

RangeMax Next Routers - NETGEAR Forums

Of course there are many other good Cable routers available, but I would suggest that you look at what you want to do with your router/Internet connection/home network and see what is available from there. Everyone's budgets are different and with the issue of MER still in the air, I am reluctant to say 'Yes the ABC Widget Modem is excellent, go buy it'.

I am using the Netgear DGND3700 which can be used either as an ADSL or Cable router, although not particularly well as a Cable router it now seems. I have connected to my Sagem 2304n, with the Sagem effectively acting as a Modem, through the Ethernet WAN port. There are some firmware issues outstanding, but Netgear have just released another Beta firmware which I am testing.

As for the Password Generator, the site that used to be excellent and very popular is still down. However there is a great new tool available here:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...-web-page.html
      Thats great info, thank you very much however....does the Sagem 2304n you use allow bridge mode to pass through it to the netgear? or does the Sagem just 'think' the netgear is a normal PC ? (my router is the 2504n which doesnt allow bridge)...I have the Asus RTN56U N - which is state of the art and brand new, but its strictly a router and requires the modem/adsl router to connect to its lan port to receive the internet......annoyingly the asus can only act as either the access point or the 'main' router.......I tried disabling DHCP on the sky router and making the asus the 'master' router, but it wouldnt receive internet data off the sky router and required the log in details for the internet access account (no idea why if the other 'modem / router' is acting as the 'modem'.

Im quite happy to sell it all and only get hardware you recommened if you could guide me on how to set it up / use it

Thanks

Re: Hi all your my last hope - miserable existence with Sagem 2504N router

Essentially I followed Tom's guide here: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

By placing the IP address for the Netgear DGND3700 in the DMZ settings, the Sagem allows the Internet traffic to pass through to the Netgear unhindered.

Although it isn't ideal, should Sky turn off PPPoA facilities I can use it as a backup method.

So that it was easier for me to use the Sagem afterwards, I left the DHCP server enabled, but disabled the WiFi. This meant that should I connect a computer to it directly an IP address would be issued and I could communicate directly with the router or on the Internet (another backup plan).

There was some issues with port forwarding for my NAS drive, but I really need to explore these in more detail at a later date. I took my NAS drive with me over Christmas and had issues on my friend's connection too, so it really does need more looking at, but not at the moment.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply again, yeah I tried that guide when I got the asus, I can confirm that it does not work with the 2504n and a MER connection , I assume that I connect via MER is whats causing the issue with mine ? I tried assigning a DMZ IP address for my asus and it just doesnt do anything, the asus in 'server' mode requires information that would be PPPoA log in details....which I dont know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast