Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router

This is a discussion on Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; You're using a LOT of gear for a residential connection - sure you're not using Sky for business use? First ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Hi all your my last hope - miserable existance with Sagem 2504N router

You're using a LOT of gear for a residential connection - sure you're not using Sky for business use?

First port of call should be Sky router to one PC, if that works it's something with your vast network setup causing the issues. As to what is anyone's guess
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      combat squirrel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01248
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You're using a LOT of gear for a residential connection - sure you're not using Sky for business use?

First port of call should be Sky router to one PC, if that works it's something with your vast network setup causing the issues. As to what is anyone's guess
      Haha no, im just a 'power user' I guess............ yeah it works to one pc, my previous netgear router with similar load never missed a beat, just this sky one sucks and well, does all of what i posted origonally........... I may try connecting everything wirelessly, that may sound random but I get the feeling they optimised it for wireless duty ?

andymcq is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I too have had a totally miserable time with this router, 3 weeks ago I had random disconnects the usual stuff the line dropped back from 14mb to 6 it was disconecting every 20 minutes... I replaced the fileters and got a proper bt faceplate and ripped out all phone extensions SKY also did something to the line...

However since then I have had nothing but problems.. I have a similar setup as the OP with 2 Gigabit switches, 4 500mbps power line adapters and openwrt wireless repeater, (in binned the windows home server) and replaced it with a windows 8 box running drive bender.
      I also have a a Samsung 16way cctv dvr, one wireless printer and one wired printer.. also there is 2 xboxes, sky anytime, 3 ipads, one playbook, 3 ipads one rasberry pi and 4 wifi smartphones and 3 laptops.....

I have found that basically the sky router despises the wired network, if I disconnect the wired network from the sky router and give everything its own ip idress or use one of the windows bxes to supply dhcp everything is fine...

The wifi clients (when connected to sky router) just work fine... however there wired stuff is up down, cant et ip addresses, the pages on the router slow to a crawl etc etc...

Ive tried using a linksys box but it had random disconnects of sky.... so went back to sagem

I contacted sky this morning, the only option was 39 for a new hub, I asked for cancellations as basically if I cant use anytime+ then im not paying for the service, due to other issues Ive had with sky they have offered me another outer and ill see where we go...

What I would say to the original op is he needs some separation on his network, I am not fond of ip cameras, if they are used I would run them on a separate switch connected to a dedicated network card on whatever file server they use...

Then whs can have a nightmare with gigabit, mine took an age to configure, you need to get your head round jumbo frames etc etc get it workin on its own on the network, the best file transfers speed I ever got was 20mbit the sata drives throttled quite badly...
      I have found that windows 8 using several usb 3.0 caddy and drive bender is alot faster as windows 8 handles the gb out the box and drive bender doesn't rush to sync drives over the disks.. which whs does and it causes considerable slow down... also are you mixing sata disk and ide in in the whs, whs is only as fast as its slowest disk..

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Hi andymcq,

your profile indicates that you have the Sagem 2504, not the Sagem 2504N. There is a difference between the two. The Sagem 2504N is a shiny black underneath and silver on the sides and top.

As for your issues with the WHS, having been helping someone set on up recently, there are a whole host of things which can slow one down. Certainly it helps to connect it to a 1Gbit Switch as the Sky router is limited to 100mb, but it might be worth ditching the HomePlugs if transfer speed is important to you. A lot of people find that they don't give the full connection speed.

You may wish to consider running an Ethernet cable behind the wall, with suitable faceplates to tidy it up.

If you are still experiencing connection issues, please feel free to start a new thread. There are many reasons for this issue. some of which you may be able to address.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have found that basically the sky router despises the wired network, if I disconnect the wired network from the sky router and give everything its own ip idress or use one of the windows bxes to supply dhcp everything is fine...
      Unless you disable the DHCP server on the Sky router, you are going to get IP conflicts which will make your network unmanageable. What is wrong with reserving IP addresses for your devices in the Sky router?

I think what we should also remember that Sky is a domestic service and there is no way they would envision having about 20 devices connected to one of their routers. For that sort of use you really need a high end router, not the 'just does its job' type supplied by Sky and many other home broadband ISPs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think what we should also remember that Sky is a domestic service and there is no way they would envision having about 20 devices connected to one of their routers. For that sort of use you really need a high end router, not the 'just does its job' type supplied by Sky and many other home broadband ISPs.
      I wouldn't be surprised if 20-odd devices becomes quite normal in the near future. Given the number of internet-ready TVs, Sky On Demand, consoles, NAS, printers, smart phones and tablets that are making their way in the the 'average' home routers are going to have to cope with this as standard.

As for the OPs problem, I agree with Isitme. The problem could be IP conflicts or the router is slow at handing out/controlling IP addresses across all of your devices. Try creating static IPs or reserve them on the router. Whilst you have plenty of gigabit switches, switch 1 is still connected to the router at 100Mbits, so could be creating a bottle neck. Turning DHCP off on the router and using something else as the DHCP server might help alleviate the load.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised if 20-odd devices becomes quite normal in the near future.
      I agree, looking around our house.

2 x Laptops
      1 x PC
      4 x Phones
      2 x Spare phones (with another 2 for Xmas that I know of)
      3 x HD boxes
      1 x TV so far
      1 x Xbox
      1 x DVD Player
      1 x Printer

Thats 17 devices off the top of my head.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if 20-odd devices becomes quite normal in the near future.
      I agree, however the present Sky routers were not built to carry this sort of load. In the words of an old Blue Eyes song, "Somethings Gotta Give".

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I've managed to load the Sky Hub with quite a few devices since I have had it.

If you take into account too that on occasions I have had my Laptops connected via both Ethernet and WiFi for short periods, as well as the laptops and mobiles of friends when visiting, I guess 20 devices isn't so hard to reach.

Just now mine is showing 11 active devices.

In a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers) it is very easy these days to exceed 20 devices. If you take into account each having say a Sky+ HD or SkyHD STB in their bedrooms, plus one in the lounge, smart phones, laptops or tablets (say one each), network printer, NAS drives, smart TVs, Blu-Ray players, Xbox 360s and/or PS3s and perhaps an IP Cam watching the garage, things can very quickly add up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

So, it's either a more beefy router to cope with the demand or Sky start providing training on how to set up a segmented network?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast