Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2504N Router

This is a discussion on 2504N Router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am thinking about buying this new router from Sky,but i need some information from someone who already has this ...

thunderbird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanford Le Hope
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

2504N Router

I am thinking about buying this new router from Sky,but i need some information from someone who already has this router.

1.How may items can be given their own IP addresses
      Old Netgear gave upto 255.Current Dlink only 10 items,looking for at least 30,
      mainly wireless.laptops,netdrives,phones etc.

2.Does the N wireless make it any quicker to stream data through the internal home network,not too worried about surfing speed on internet.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: 2504N Router

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
      I am thinking about buying this new router from Sky,but i need some information from someone who already has this router.
      I do not personally have this router, but I am familiar with most of the issues now, if this helps.

1.How may items can be given their own IP addresses
      Old Netgear gave up to 255.Current Dlink only 10 items,looking for at least 30,
      mainly wireless.laptops,netdrives,phones etc.
      This depends on how you arrange the fixed IPs. The Sagem 2504N uses the standard Sky GUI. Like any other router, it will address a range of IP addresses. In the case of Sky, the router IP address is set to 192.168.0.1. Any other devices on you LAN can then use 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254.

Whilst you can set IP addresses to be reserved on the router, I do not know the limit on the Sagem 2504N personally. Using another router, I set the lowest automatically assigned number to above 40, 50 or 60 and set any fixed IP addresses below this number.

As an example, a friend's printer is set to 192.168.0.11.

2.Does the N wireless make it any quicker to stream data through the internal home network,not too worried about surfing speed on internet.
      On the whole, Yes! Provided that you have a suitable adaptor to make use of the higher connection speed and are not too far away from the router and have a clear interrupted signal (i.e. brick walls, chimneys, etc.), then all should be much better than a WiFi g router.

With regards to your WiFi adaptors, this ideally requires you to check their actual specifications. WiFi n can mean anything above the 56kbps connection speed that you get with WiFi g.

Whilst the Sagem 2504N works at up to 144kbps, you may find that your adaptor might only connect at 72mbps, for example.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.I will try to post a PDF image of the type of settings which i am trying to achieve.If the image works you can see that only 10 Reseved address can be applied.What i am after is at least 30+ addresses.
      Thank you.
      Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

As I mentioned, I don't tend to use that option. I actually have the Sagem 2304n as well.

Perhaps someone with a Sagem 2504N who uses this feature could jump in to help please?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Thank you for your reply.I will try to post a PDF image of the type of settings which i am trying to achieve.If the image works you can see that only 10 Reseved address can be applied.What i am after is at least 30+ addresses.
      Thank you.
      I am not sure if you have tried to add another address, if so my apologies, but the Address list will grow as you add devices. When you click Add it will normally show you all the address that have already been reserved and others which are connected at that time. This will normally be any other devices on the Attached Devices list. What does your Attached Devices list show?

To be honest I would not be surprised if there is a limit, I doubt very much if the creators of the hardware/firmware would have envisaged that anyone would want to use more than 10 devices on a Sky router. No doubt high end routers for Office use would have such a facility.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.Have check setting,will not allow more than 10 reserved addresses.,unlike the Netgear router which will go to 254 addresses,although the devices attached list will grow..Some people may think that i may be greedy to want to add more than 10 devices.
      The list.
      Sky router
      Sky HD stb
      2 x desktop
      3 x laptop
      2 x Android phones
      5 x network drives
      1 x Internet tv/radio
      1 x printer
      1 x media network to tv hdd
      some of these can be either/or wireless / wired some with both MAC addresses
      As you can see this is a long list,not all of them on at the same time.Need to have reserved addresses so as to stop IP address conflicts.
      Thank you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Networked devices have increased enormously in the last few years. Soon we will be able to network the fridge so that the various suppliers will know when we want milk, meat etc, delivered.

You are not likely to get IP conflicts unless a device is set up with a fixed address that has not been put in the reserved list. If the address has been given out by the DHCP server, you will get a conflict. Best way is to put the network drives and the printer in the reserved list as if their addresses change it could cause problems. The other stuff will work perfectly well with automatic addresses.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Adding to what Tom has posted, if you set the first allocated IP address to a value such as 192.168.0.70, then any temporary devices would pick up an IP address from that point.

You can then set fixed IP addresses for the Internet radio, for example, or other items that are always going to be connected.

From personal experience, the only times I tend to get IP conflicts now are when the router is swapped or reset.

I help a couple of friends with their LANs. On one particular LAN have set up a 2nd router, printer & 3 PowerLine adaptors on one LAN with unique IP addresses. The router is set to allocate IP addresses outside the range that I have allocated for those devices and she has never had a conflict of IP addresses.

If you are looking at preventing unauthorised access, then this will always be a difficult issue. Reserving IP addresses on the router can help, but there are other steps which might be better.