Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sagem 2504n router - what improvements should I see/if any ?

This is a discussion on New Sagem 2504n router - what improvements should I see/if any ? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just bought one and before i did, had around a 4meg line speed to my exchange. I understand ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Sagem 2504n router - what improvements should I see, if any ?

I have just bought one and before i did, had around a 4meg line speed to my exchange.

I understand that it will not give you quicker broadband but how do I find out if it has improved things or not ? I connect to my router with my laptop (Samsung Q210), Xbox 360 and mobile phone.

I ran a speedtest on my laptop and it actually came out lower than the usual download speed but maybe this is just coincidence ? I am unsure how to find out if my xbox and phone connect better to the router now ?

Lastly, what are the recommended settings for the router i.e. security type, channel, wireless mode etc ?

Thanks if anyone can help

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New Sagem 2504n router - what improvements should I see/if any ?

Ok loading web pages are quicker and listening to internet radio buffers quicker but my router log in page shows that my line speed is now 0.5 meg less than previous router (the black sky netgear one). I have plugged then both in twice and got the same result. Any ideas why anyone ?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Your connection may need adjusted for the new router. Post your stats.
      How to get your router statistics

With regards your security, you should use WPA2, change the default network key to one of your own making, using at least 10 characters. The channel depends on your locality, download and use Inssider(link below) to find the channels in use in your area. Set yours to one as far from those in use as possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your connection may need adjusted for the new router. Post your stats.
      How to get your router statistics

With regards your security, you should use WPA2, change the default network key to one of your own making, using at least 10 characters. The channel depends on your locality, download and use Inssider(link below) to find the channels in use in your area. Set yours to one as far from those in use as possible.
      Thanks for the reply.

I am using WPA-PSK for security (Wi Fi Protected) but even if I changed that, it is not going to alter my line speed or wireless performance is it I imagine ? I will have a look at Inssider too but that may improve the wireless performance but not the line speed ?

My stats are as follows :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3552 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58.5 dB 36.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.8 dB

Thanks

I will have a look at Inssider too but that may improve the wireless performance but not the line speed ?
      No that was in reply to you asking for the recommended WiFi settings. Changing the channel may improve your wireless speed, but it has nothing to do with your download speed.

It looks like you are getting about as much speed as you can with with the present settings. This is not too bad really, with your attenuation a speed beween 3-4Mb would be expected. Like we tell all others with long lines, ask Sky if they can try your line on G.DMT(ADSL1), this sometimes performs better on long lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No that was in reply to you asking for the recommended WiFi settings. Changing the channel may improve your wireless speed, but it has nothing to do with your download speed.

It looks like you are getting about as much speed as you can with with the present settings. This is not too bad really, with your attenuation a speed beween 3-4Mb would be expected. Like we tell all others with long lines, ask Sky if they can try your line on G.DMT(ADSL1), this sometimes performs better on long lines.
      The point I am making is my line speed with old netgear router is 4meg but my new n range one drops to 3.5 but I cannot understand why

Thanks

The point I am making is my line speed with old netgear router is 4meg but my new n range one drops to 3.5 but I cannot understand why
      It may be a case of the chipset in the new router not being matched to the exchange equipment and the old one is. Have a look at this thread by Exdee, it is aimed mainly at non Sky routers but it applies to Sky routers as well, as different router models have different chipsets.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have e-mailed Sky and asked if they can do anything.

Thanks.