Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Sagemcom 2504N Poor Signal Strength

This is a discussion on Sky Sagemcom 2504N Poor Signal Strength within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I had the older Netgear g router which gave me 3 bars when I tried to connect upstairs however ...

ayrshiredude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Sagemcom 2504N Poor Signal Strength

Hi

I had the older Netgear g router which gave me 3 bars when I tried to connect upstairs however I have just purchased a new Samsung Smart TV which allows me to stream videos from my PC downstairs to the TV upstairs. Unfortunately the G spec is not fast enough to do this so bought the new
      Sky Sagemcom 2504N from Sky.

My understanding is that the N spec is supposed to give a stronger faster signal. I am now only getting, at best 1 bad or none at all upstairs. kThe TV regularily drops the signal. I have been on to Sky level 2 tech support who diagnosed it as a router fault and have replaced it however the second one is the same.

Can anyone offer any help or advice as how to get a better signal upstairs?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      slm26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Sky Sagemcom 2504N Poor Signal Strength

You could get a wireless repeater which would help increase the strength and range of the signal in the house.
      They cost from around 30 normally just connect to an electrical socket and are easy to setup.

It could also be because something which did not interfere with the old router is effecting this one, such as placement next to other electrical devices especially devices with speakers, windows sills can somtimes be bad, or next to radiators as anything big and metal can cause problems.

I assume if you have spoken to tech support you will have tried changing the wireless channels and encription type on the router?? if not try this also.

Sometimes wireless is a mystery!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Personally I would suggest that you use a pair of HomePlug or PowerLine adaptors. This would offer a much better connection.

A better solution would be to run an Ethernet cable behind the wall, with a socket near the router and the TV.

Both these solutions would allow you to run a 5-Port (or larger) Network Switch so that you can also connect other devices (i.e. the Sky+ HD STB or games machine).

Getting back to your router and the TV adaptor, I don't know the specs of the adaptor which the TV has, but it might be worth looking at the basics with the router to ensure that you are getting the best from it.

• position: Sky routers work better on their edges, using the stand supplied. Next move it around to various different locations, within reach of the telephone socket and see if things can be improved upon
      • TV's WiFi: I have a Samsung LE40C650. I don't have the WiFi adaptor but the one which you can get for it plugs into a USB port. If this is the case with your, then a USB extension lead would allow you to reposition the WiFi adaptor

If you can, I would suggest that you download and install inSSIDer on a Laptop. Place the Laptop next to the TV and use this to help see what kind of a signal you have.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

ayrshiredude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys

The new router is in exactly the same place as the old one was so nothing has changed there. I really don't want to have to use ethernet as I want to interlink the TV with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 whch can control the TV through the WiFi hence why I decided to upgrade to the new router rather than go down the line of major upheaval to install an ethernet cable all the way upstairs to the TV room. The TV is a 51d6900 which has the WiFi built into to it rather than a seperate dongle so unfortunately am unable to extend it. Also the router is standing on its stand.

How does a wireless repeater work? Don't you need to connect the router to the repeater using ethernet? or does it link wirelessly and just boost the signal? Unfortunately the way out house is wired the powerplug adapters don't work as I tried them before.

Sky did get me to try different channels and changed the encryption. I tried it with no encryption but this made no difference either.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

For a brief summary of how WiFi Extenders work see the guide in this thread:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

As for your tablet, I suspect that it actually connects to the TV via the router, rather than directly. This being the case, you should be able to control the TV from anywhere in your home. Also it would mean that you can use the LAN port on the TV.

I have a Toshiba Laptop. The Media Controller app which came with the Laptop allows me to stream music or video directly to the TV . Another app allowed me to stream YouTube, and other Flash content directly to the TV. Sadly with the various flash upgrades this feature isn't working at present .

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.