Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new router poor line speed

This is a discussion on new router poor line speed within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi can anyone help? We joined sky in 2008 and have been using a sagem f@st 2504 with good line ...

SJM
      SJM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

new router poor line speed

Hi can anyone help?
      We joined sky in 2008 and have been using a sagem f@st 2504 with good line speed of 3-4 mb but had to recently replace this as lost wireless connectivity.
      We were sent a SAGEMCOMf@st2504N phase 3 router which although worked brought our line speed down to less than 1mb. We were sent a replacement router (same model) but same thing.
      We were then sent a D-link DSL2640S but same thing.
      I have spoken to sky many times and carried out various line testing with them. When I put the original router back on our line speed jumps back up to 4mb!!
      An engineer has been to our house today and agrees that our line is showing 4mb speed. He has referred back to Sky and they have told him they will send an engineer to the exchange to look at sky equipment?

2. Advertisement
      SJM
      Thanks

Re: new router poor line speed

**I ran out of room on original post but here are router stats using the last one we were sent (D-link)
      ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstreamConnection Speed267 kbps640 kbpsLine Attenuation53.0db24.9dbNoise Margin7.2db8.5db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

**I ran out of room on original post
      Just keep typing and the pane will scroll. I don't think there is any limit on how much you can include.

It is possibly the different chipsets which is causing the reduction in speed, but it is hard to believe it would reduce the speed so much. It is a strange one.

What you can do, if you like, is to piggy back one of the new routers on to your original one, to make use of the superior wireless. Instructions on how to do this are here- http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

SJM
      Thanks

Thank you Isitme - this looks quite involved but as a last resort may have to give it a try!

SJM
      Thanks

update on problem:
      we currently have a line speed of 5 meg - I rec'd an e-mail from sky saying they were going to send me yet another router. I rang to try to cancel this and spoke to someone who while I was on the phone going over the problems again, managed to up our line speed!! I asked why he had managed to do it and no-one else had - he said it was 'a little trick he had picked up' and that not everyone at sky would know of it.
      I thanked him for sorting out problem and suggested he start telling other sky customer service staff about the trick.
      Problem with line has been going on for about a month but hopefully now sorted. I think Sky must have sensed that I was looking in to tranferring broadband over to virgin media!