Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will it make a difference?

This is a discussion on Will it make a difference? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have Sky Unlimited with the original white Netgear Router. I have four PC's on the network, one is Ethernet ...

leggie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Will it make a difference?

I have Sky Unlimited with the original white Netgear Router. I have four PC's on the network, one is Ethernet to the router and the others all wi fi. I also have Sky + HD box connected for Anytime Plus via a 200MB Powerline. Other occasional devices connected are 2 x iPhones and 1 x iPad 2 also via wi fi.

Problem 1
      Recently some of my devices will sporadically not connect to the internet. I get a message saying something like "limited connectivity" and they don't appear in the connected device list. Rebooting the router cures the problem. I've read somewhere that there is a limit to the number of devices you can connect simultaneously. Is this correct or can something be done to cure this irritation. If there is a limitation is it just for wi fi or would there be a problem with multiple Powerlines?

Problem 2
      I have recently purchased Apple TV 2 and successfully connected via wiFi and streamed from Internet and played music from other PC's in the house to my TV. However when "mirroring" the content direct from my iPad there is a horrendous delay between the "live" image and the streamed version on the TV. Putting games up is totally unworkable.

Does any one know if the new Sky N router will make any difference to either problem? I have two portables that are "N" and I think the Sky TV is as well. Will the 200MB Powerlines perform any better with the new router and would I be better off connecting Apple TV via another one of these?

Sort of happy to part with the 35 if there will be an improvement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Advertisement
      leggie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Will it make a difference?

Over 100 views and no replies yet?

Are my question too difficult or too stupid?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Will it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by leggie View Post
      Over 100 views and no replies yet?

Are my question too difficult or too stupid?
      Not at all. Personally I was hoping that someone more knowledgable would have jumped in. I'll have a go though...

I have Sky Unlimited with the original white Netgear Router. I have four PC's on the network, one is Ethernet to the router and the others all wi fi. I also have Sky + HD box connected for Anytime Plus via a 200MB Powerline. Other occasional devices connected are 2 x iPhones and 1 x iPad 2 also via wi fi.

Problem 1
      Recently some of my devices will sporadically not connect to the internet. I get a message saying something like "limited connectivity" and they don't appear in the connected device list. Rebooting the router cures the problem. I've read somewhere that there is a limit to the number of devices you can connect simultaneously. Is this correct or can something be done to cure this irritation. If there is a limitation is it just for wi fi or would there be a problem with multiple Powerlines?
      Specifically which devices give this error? I have a Win 7 Laptop which used to give me this error occasionally. By setting a DNS server (not IP Address!) I have been able to get over this issue.

This comes from a solution which WheelNutWalter made in the post below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/wirel...tml#post340483

The specifications for the router you have should be available somewhere on the Internet, but I'm not sure where. Basically it is a standard Netgear router with Sky's custom firmware. As for Sky's newest router, the specs are very limited.

Problem 2
      I have recently purchased Apple TV 2 and successfully connected via wiFi and streamed from Internet and played music from other PC's in the house to my TV. However when "mirroring" the content direct from my iPad there is a horrendous delay between the "live" image and the streamed version on the TV. Putting games up is totally unworkable.
      The router which you are using has a WiFi g connection. The delay could possibly be down to the fact that you have a slow WiFi connection or it could be down to other factors. Perhaps you may wish to try everything in a friend's home who have a WiFi n router? As it will also be using the WiFi, if other items are using the WiFi at the same time, this could also affect things.

Before jumping at the new Sky router, you should double check the specs for your iPad. If it can connect to a router at 144Mb/s on the 20MHz bandwidth, then you should have no problems. Many devices which are 'WiFi n' enabled would only connect at half this speed.

If the iPad can connect to a 300Mb/s WiFi connection at that speed, then you should have no issues.

Does any one know if the new Sky N router will make any difference to either problem? I have two portables that are "N" and I think the Sky TV is as well. Will the 200MB Powerlines perform any better with the new router and would I be better off connecting Apple TV via another one of these?

Sort of happy to part with the 35 if there will be an improvement.

Thanks in advance for any help.
      If you want to stay within Sky's T&Cs, then the lack of any major reported issues so far for the new Sagem F@ST 2504N is a good sign. Personally speaking I'm not using one of Sky's routers at the moment. You could take this route if you wanted, many others have, but you need to be aware that Sky may one day convert everyone to MER and at present this would stop things from working correctly.

Another option would be to purchase a Cable router and allow that to manage your home LAN. By disabling the WiFi on the Netgear DG834GT, it would then be able to handle everything and you would stay within Sky's T&Cs.

See this thread for a little more information on setting this up:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Cable routers tend to be a little cheaper than ADSL routers, and you have the option to purchase a router which has a far better specification list than Sky's latest one.

The router I am using (Netgear DGND3700) is able to connect either via ADSL or Ethernet WAN (like a standard cable router). My Sky router would then effectively act like a modem.

There are a few issues with the firmware at the moment, but hopefully these are being resolved with the promised fix due this month.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms