Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

n type router

This is a discussion on n type router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; how do i go about getting an n router from sky rather than the netgear b&g one i have now ...

jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

n type router

how do i go about getting an n router from sky rather than the netgear b&g one i have now ? can i just buy any router to use or do i still have to have there own one, only when in my house i only get around 60% signal on laptop and ps3 yet when i search for networks i can pick up 100% signal from n routers 3 doors down, this is no good for streaming to the ps3 and am also always getting dlna protocol errors to the ps3 via pc or laptop

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: n type router

You are welcome to call Sky and ask for a Sagem 2504N router. You will be charged 35 for the item. So far most people appear to be very happy with this router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yep even me hehehehe

jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

thanks ill give them a call

markusbrodie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +441977
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

How long have you had your sky broadband connected? I've had mine since late June/early July this year and was frustrated with the wifi performance of the sagemcom f@st 2304. After emailing customer services they advised I ring up, ask for the new wireless N router and would be charged the 35 as an existing customer. I rang this morning, asked for this as advised and was honest with them, that there was no damage to the old router and that it was working, just that the wifi performance was poor and didn't work well in parts of the house. Result: I'm apparently being sent the new wireless N router and not being charged for it! The cust serv rep seemed surprised by this also, but when she put it in as an upgrade the system didn't apply a charge... She seemed to think it was because the old router is still under warranty but who knows.
      Anyway I'll probably be updating this in a few days to say they actually just sent me another f@st2304 and I'll end up paying the 35 after all, but at the moment, it appears I'm getting the new, improved router free of charge!
      If you are a relatively new BB customer I'd advise complaining that the old router isn't sufficient to cover your whole home... Seemed to work for me! Good luck!
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.
      Games Room: Sony Bravia KDL40EX503, xbox360 + Kinect, X Rocker Gaming Chair.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky started shipping the Sagem 2504N to a few customers in July this year. They eventually started to ship it exclusively from mid-August to new customers.

Initially it wasn't available to anyone else, but from September it was made available to existing customers at a charge of 35.

Sky Staff were unable to discount the router or offer it for free at this time.

If some are now able to offer it as a free option, you're the 2nd to post such a comment on this forum, then this is good news for those who want to upgrade to it.

The Sagem 2504N is recognisable buy having a silver top and sides. The Sagem 2304n has silver sides but a dark grey top. Both have a black underside and the casing is smooth & shiny.

The Sagem 2504, Netgear DG934G & D-Link DSL-2640S all have a dull grey case with dimples (like a golf ball).

The original Sky ADSL router is white. This is the Netgear DG834GT.

I mention all of this so that you are sure that it is the Sagem 2504N when you receive it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markusbrodie View Post
      How long have you had your sky broadband connected? I've had mine since late June/early July this year and was frustrated with the wifi performance of the sagemcom f@st 2304. After emailing customer services they advised I ring up, ask for the new wireless N router and would be charged the 35 as an existing customer. I rang this morning, asked for this as advised and was honest with them, that there was no damage to the old router and that it was working, just that the wifi performance was poor and didn't work well in parts of the house. Result: I'm apparently being sent the new wireless N router and not being charged for it! The cust serv rep seemed surprised by this also, but when she put it in as an upgrade the system didn't apply a charge... She seemed to think it was because the old router is still under warranty but who knows.
      Anyway I'll probably be updating this in a few days to say they actually just sent me another f@st2304 and I'll end up paying the 35 after all, but at the moment, it appears I'm getting the new, improved router free of charge!
      If you are a relatively new BB customer I'd advise complaining that the old router isn't sufficient to cover your whole home... Seemed to work for me! Good luck!
      Could be wrong and someone feel free to correct me if need be -

The 'N router' is classed as a sale, not a replacement or upgrade. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you don't receive the N router.

Thanks

Oh I'm well aware of the chances that I'm being sent another 2304, but I did, more than once, ask the woman to confirm that it was the new wireless N router that the email had said I would have to pay 35 for. She said it was and seemed unsure why the system wasn't applying a charge for it.
      I won't allow my hopes to get up too much just yet, but will keep you all posted when the package arrives and confirm whether it's the new or old router that has been shipped to me.
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Could be wrong and someone feel free to correct me if need be -

The 'N router' is classed as a sale, not a replacement or upgrade. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you don't receive the N router.
      You're correct. Its a hardware upgrade. It won't be an N router that is sent if no charge has been applied, because the system won't allow us to order an N router (unless as an in warranty replacement for another N router) unless the 35 payment is taken.

Thanks

Well, the router has arrived according to my gf, so when I get home tonight I'll confirm one way or the other which router has been sent.... Disappointment or joy.... Place your bets now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast