Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

n type router

This is a discussion on n type router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Update: the router that's arrived is apparently a DSL 2640s.... So they didn't send me the right one, and didn't ...

markusbrodie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: +441977
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: n type router

Update: the router that's arrived is apparently a DSL 2640s.... So they didn't send me the right one, and didn't even send me another of the one I've already got... They are special bless 'em!!
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.
      Games Room: Sony Bravia KDL40EX503, xbox360 + Kinect, X Rocker Gaming Chair.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I can confirm now it was the D Link router sent to me, though after getting through to customer services the notes on the account apparently said it was the new Wireless N router that was supposed to be sent (whatever!!). Anyway, then got put through to an Irish guy in Broadband tech support whose accent was so thick I literally only managed to pick up every 5th word!

He then spent 5 minutes 'talking to his supervisor' who apparently advised i post it to this Subscribers Customer Relations Dept, with a covering letter explaining what has happened and they will then sort out getting me the correct equipment.

Do i believe it will go as smoothly as that? No. should i have told them to shove it and they sort it out? more than likely. But at least this way i'm doing everything i can at my end and will have proof i returned the item to them!

If i finally manage to get the 2504N and still don't get charged i'll update you all again... but it's looking as though nothing is ever simple with Sky CS!!
      Lounge: Sony Bravia KDL40HX703, Sony Home Theatre HTSS360, Sony Blu-Ray BDPS370, Sky+HD Amstrad DRX890, iPad.

Thanks

well, final update on this one...

Sent off the incorrect router to the Customer Relations Dept as advised (cost about £3.50 by recorded delivery) with a covering letter advising what i'd asked for originally and what i'd actually received and today, 14/11/11, i received my new Sagemcom 2504n! so, didn't get it quite free - if you take into account the £3.50 recorded delivery - but haven't paid the £35 i supposedly should have!
      Will be connecting it all up later today when i have finished work related emails and reports, so will let you know if it's no better or any other issues.

moral of the story is: you can get it free! just make sure the customer service rep is totally clear on what you're asking for!!!

jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

well ive been on the phone to them today, my wifi signal is crap with the netgear (black one) and they would have sent out another b g type free even tho ive had this one over a year, i suggested the n class router but he couldnt do it for free as its classed as an upgrade and the system would not allow an order without the £35 payment made there and then
      should get it early next week so shall see how that goes

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Various members have tried to get the latest router FoC, but no one has been successful to date.

Most people appear to be quite pleased with the Sagem 2504N. After the experiences of the Sagem 2304n it has been nice to see that Sky finally got it right, even if it only works at up to 144Mb/s.

The signal strength appears to be good and the chipset is matched to Sky's own equipment.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Post 13 says he got it free but this seems to be at odds with what we have been told by the Skybods who post on here. Maybe he will confirm he has not actually been charged.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jonnysnatchsniffer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

well got the router and its much better wirelessly, along with that and disconnecting phone extensions and the new filters my speed is up from around 4mb to 5.2mb, the samsung phone only gets 2 bars but the lappy is full now, so happy enough

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
      You're correct. Its a hardware upgrade. It won't be an N router that is sent if no charge has been applied, because the system won't allow us to order an N router (unless as an in warranty replacement for another N router) unless the £35 payment is taken.
      An exception to this is when re-ordering bb at new address after a home move to non-svbn area.

Not sniping, just pointing out a way to avoid the charge.

And where you move home without Sky Line Rental.
      Last edited by bubblegun; 12-12-11 at 11:02 AM.

johnmiller13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi. I have very bad BB connections and wifi signal. I phoned up today and was going to leave sky and go back to bt. I was told I could not get out of the £35 charge for the N type router. So as I'm going through the motions to cancel. They say I need to pay £35 but they will discount my line rental by£12.50 every month for the next 12 months. I bought the router today. Crazy how they won't give you £35 freebie but will give you 12 months line rental back instead. I'm happy and this may be a way around feeling like sky are ripping you off for £35. John miller Glasgow
      Last edited by johnmiller13; 12-12-11 at 05:13 PM.

darrenx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: sky terabite
      Thanks

Hi all been in touch wth sky as the free router was not N after all that.... They said they would have to charge me £35 for new one which I had to pay..... BUT they applied a £35 credit to my next bill bonous!!! Free wireless N router on its way to me... Sagem 2504N

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast