Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I'm an idiot....help me, please!

This is a discussion on I'm an idiot....help me, please! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; So I thought I would get that bit out of the way....sorry. I've been with Sky broadband forever (or at ...

adamdl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01428
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I'm an idiot....help me, please!

So I thought I would get that bit out of the way....sorry.

I've been with Sky broadband forever (or at least it feels like it). Until recently I was using the Netgear DG934G which they gave me as a replacement a while ago. Anyway, the range on it sucks so I was excited when then started advertising the new Wireless N Sagemcom one (2504N - I think) and I bought it straight away hoping to have wireless throughout my little house. Only its range is equally sucky. Ugh.

I gave up in despair and have just bought myself a shiny Netgear N300 BUT (and this is where the idiot bit comes in).....I can't seem to get the username and passwords from either of the two Sky provided M/Rs that I already have.

I couldn't seem to get James' tool to work (that looks so wrong in writing - sorry!) and the posting on the DG934G page has something that has been removed that I think that I might need...

So....please....pretty please....with a cherry on top....in small words....

Please can someone help me out...I want reception in my house....plllllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaase!

Thanks (and sorry for the dufusness, I can just imagine the amount of facepalming going on right now....)

Thank you kindly to anyone who doesn't slap me in the face with a wet kipper to start out with!

Adam

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: I'm an idiot....help me, please!

Kipper in post! Postie has instructions to slap on my behalf!

(I've sent it 2nd class so that it will be extra smelly too)

In the mean time, take a look at the link below:

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

It may help to Copy & Paste the information from the router to the generator. Then Copy & Paste the resultant information into Notepad and save the file.

Remember that it is the LAN MAC Address which you need. Many people put the WAN MAC address in instead.

I suspect that you may still have an issue with the WiFi cover though. I would recommend that you consider using a 2nd router to provide a new WiFi hot-spot on the other side of your home. See the document shown in the thread below for instructions on how to connect a 2nd router to the first:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

In order to link them both together, you may wish to consider either a pair of HomePlugs or a length of Ethernet cable, perhaps fed behind the wall. Take a look at the document in this thread for further ideas:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Thank you...but it was the skypass that I couldn't get to work. I despair!

I already use Devolo 500s so I think I am just going to get a wireless one to add to the network and use that.

Ugh....my bear of very little brainness is getting to me!

Thank you anyway.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

You do need to configure the router correctly. Check that you have the latest Netgear Firmware installed and use these settings:

Encapsulation: PPPoA
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38
      Multiplexing: VC
      MTU: 1500

Note: MER uses VCI 40. No one has currently been able to connect for the long term to Sky's implementation of MER so you will need to continue using PPPoA.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Thank you...but it was the skypass that I couldn't get to work. I despair!
      In what way is it not working? It is a fairly simple process. The only time it will not work is if you fail to tick the disclaimer and you get a reminder to do this if you don't. If you open the settings of the Sagem and copy and paste the LAN MAC address and the default network key, all capital letters, into the required boxes and press Generate, that is it. Copy and paste the results into a doc for further copying and pasting into your new router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In what way is it not working? It is a fairly simple process. The only time it will not work is if you fail to tick the disclaimer and you get a reminder to do this if you don't. If you open the settings of the Sagem and copy and paste the LAN MAC address and the default network key, all capital letters, into the required boxes and press Generate, that is it. Copy and paste the results into a doc for further copying and pasting into your new router.
      I can't remember the message now but it basically didn't produce any result and gave an error message saying it didn't work....I appreciate that doesn't help you - sorry!

Thanks

I've unlazied myself for a second and tried again....

I got this:

Sky router password generator

It was not possible to determine your ADSL user name and password. Please check the data you entered and try again.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have never seen that before. Normally you will not get an error, if you input the wrong details it will simply give the wrong result.For instance, inputting a completely bogus MAC and key -
      MAC 00120140effe
      Key ABCDEFGH

This what is returned-
      Username: 00120140effe@skydsl
      Password: m2BId8O7001LH7F

No hint of error, the only way you will get an error is if you input a MAC address with more or less than 12 digits. Copy and paste the details as suggested and you will not get an error.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help. I took it back and got a Devolo Wireless N adapter. Best decision ever. The adapter has a massive range, totally eats the sky modem router.