Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Get the new Sky router, or buy my own?

This is a discussion on Get the new Sky router, or buy my own? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I too have the DGND3700 and I would not recommend it at the moment. I have a wireless N laptop ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Re: Get the new Sky router, or buy my own?

I too have the DGND3700 and I would not recommend it at the moment.
      I have a wireless N laptop that should run at 150Mbps.
      However with the 3700 I cannot get the laptop to connect at anything faster than 65Mbps!!! This is on the 2.4Ghz range which the laptop network card is on.
      With my Billion 7402NX router, it connects at 150Mbs. This is great for conexant based networks, do a tracert and see if the 2nd hop is easynet, if it is, then a conexant based router will get more speed out of your line. Otherwise a broadcome based router is better.
      Scoobie, can you get your DGND3700 to work at 130Mbps mode or 300Mbps on the 2.4Ghz, as I cannot!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadbandKing View Post
      ...However with the 3700 I cannot get the laptop to connect at anything faster than 65Mbps!!! This is on the 2.4Ghz range which the laptop network card is on.

Scoobie, can you get your DGND3700 to work at 130Mbps mode or 300Mbps on the 2.4Ghz, as I cannot!!
      Perhaps you would like to start a new thread to discuss this?

My main Laptop connects quite happily at the full connection speed on either frequency. I have a 2nd Laptop which only connects at 270Mb/s though.

Post it in this section: Technical discussion

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Xorro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Hine Hub 3
      Thanks

I'm really in two minds about this.

The problems I have with the netgear are:
      It was randomly dropping wireless connections - this affected the iMac, iPad, iPhones.

Then more recently started dropping wired connections, but this is only apparently on the PS3, as it's the only 'active' thing thats wired. All the other wired things are slingbox, squeezebox, nas - so if they were dropping connections I wouldn't know.

I logged on to the router yesterday and the PS3 wasn't even appearing as an attached device.

I have tried a new microfilter and the master socket was replaced by BT recently.

Someone has offered me their unused Sky Netgear DG938(?) router for peanuts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xorro View Post
      I'm really in two minds about this.

The problems I have with the netgear are:
      It was randomly dropping wireless connections - this affected the iMac, iPad, iPhones.

Then more recently started dropping wired connections, but this is only apparently on the PS3, as it's the only 'active' thing thats wired. All the other wired things are slingbox, squeezebox, nas - so if they were dropping connections I wouldn't know.

I logged on to the router yesterday and the PS3 wasn't even appearing as an attached device.
      I had a Netgear DG934G which was constantly dropping it's WiFi. I was able to get it replaced for the Sagem F@ST 2304n but as this didn't quite offer what I wanted I went and bought myself the Netgear DGND3700.

If you are getting constant problems with disconnections and have tried it on different WiFi channels, then it sound like it is time to change the router. Just because the issue is with one device and not another, it could mean that the device which works better has a better WiFi aerial/adaptor. Now which router you go for is the big decision.

The Sagem 2304n was fairly good on the WiFi once the firmware was fixed. Personally I've found the DGND3700 even better for where I live (there is a large number of WiFi routers in my area).

As for some items not appearing in the 'Attached Devices' list, this is more down to the router's firmware and I wouldn't let it concern you if there are no other issues (i.e. IP conflicts).

I have tried a new microfilter and the master socket was replaced by BT recently.
      This would affect the connection speed, rather than the WiFi connection.

If you want to look at a filtered faceplate instead, then do consider this.

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?

Someone has offered me their unused Sky Netgear DG938(?) router for peanuts.
      If this is suitable for your needs, then by all means go for it.

Just because I like a router which can do a little more than many others, it does not mean that I would ever force someone else to copy me.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

If I'm buying some new equipment then I usually do lots of research (that's half the fun). I wasn't expecting to be looking at routers!

I have read that Sky can be awkward if you don't use their router, so even if I bought my friends Sky router, I might still have issues as it won't have the mac address they expect me to have.
      So, if I'm going to get in to trouble, maybe it's worth doing it over something better than a DG938, OR do I just cough up 35/39 to Sky for their latest offering and hope it's OK.

All I need is a decent router, which does n wifi, that I can configure port forwarding on. Ideally 6 ethernet ports would be good, but domestic routers seem to only have 4.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you want to stay within the T & Cs, piggy back an N router on to the Netgear. This would serve 2 purposes as it would give you N WiFi and 6 usable ethernet ports. The wireless in the Netgear can be disabled. You don't need an ADSL router so you can get a decent one for around 20. Scubbie has done a simple tutorial on how to connect them.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If I'm buying some new equipment then I usually do lots of research (that's half the fun). I wasn't expecting to be looking at routers!
      lol - No problem.

By all means do look around. There are quite a few members who have purchased different Billion routers and other Netgear models. Some have D-Link or Belkins too.

As always, to a look at what you want (i.e. WiFi connection, LAN speed) and work from there.

There are some routers which will also connect to 3G (useful for backup should your ADSL fail and for mobility). Some also allow printers and/or external drives or USB memory sticks to attach.

Take a look in their respective forums too to see what others think of them.

I have read that Sky can be awkward if you don't use their router, so even if I bought my friends Sky router, I might still have issues as it won't have the mac address they expect me to have.
      So, if I'm going to get in to trouble, maybe it's worth doing it over something better than a DG938, OR do I just cough up 35/39 to Sky for their latest offering and hope it's OK.
      Only a few individuals tend to be difficult when you have a problem. For this reason don't throw the Sky router away or sell it on. Earlier this year it was confirmed that Sky wasn't punishing subscribers for using their own routers, and to the best of my knowledge this hasn't changed.

All I need is a decent router, which does n wifi, that I can configure port forwarding on. Ideally 6 ethernet ports would be good, but domestic routers seem to only have 4.
      The Sagem Path F@ST 2504N supports 144Mb/s on a single channel bandwidth. My laptop's original WiFi adaptor would only connect at 75Mb/s if I'd had this router. The adaptor it has now would connect at the full 144Mb/s.

What i am saying is that you may have a WiFi n adaptor installed in a WiFi device, but you need more info regarding what it can connect at.

As for the ports, the simplest answer is to purchase a 5-Port or 8-Port Network Switch.

A 5-Port Network switch which works at 10/100Mb/s will set you back around 5. At the other end of the scale, an 8-Port 10/100/1000Mb/s switch will cost nearer 25.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. I have a 4 port switch which was going spare at work (the benefit of working in IT!), but it would be nice not to have another device using electricity :-)

*edit*

Just realised that i@ve been saying D938 for my friends router, it's actually a DG934G1!
      Last edited by Xorro; 03-11-11 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks

No problem with the switch.

Some modern ones are actually designed to reduce their electric consumption when not in use.

In fairness the actual consumption is very little.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Indeed, but it's another 'thing' to go with all the other things behind the TV stand, lol. It's quite crowded there already!

With regard to my friends DG934G1 can I enter my username and password extracted from my white netgear DG834GT? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast