Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Downstream noise margin

This is a discussion on Router Downstream noise margin within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Long story short, Keep getting ping spikes with minimal usage of the internet, Checked statistics and noticed that the downstream ...

IanPearmain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router Downstream noise margin

Long story short, Keep getting ping spikes with minimal usage of the internet, Checked statistics and noticed that the downstream margin is sitting there at 2.5DB changes every so often to between 2.5-3.2. After a-bit of Googling I see that it should never drop below 7, Is there anyway I can fix this or do I need to phone up sky.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Router Downstream noise margin

How long have you been connected to Sky?

There are a few possibilities, the first being that you have just been connected and that DLM hasn't run yet. If this is the case then you connection speed is likely to drop.

Alternatively if you have had your Sky connection for a while, and you haven't been moved to new Sky equipment, then something has occurred to slow your connection.

It may pay you to look at your connection in either case to see if you can improve things. Some quick things to go through include the following:

• ensure that anything connected to your telephone line is going through a Microfilter or you have a Filtered Faceplate on the Master Socket
      • use the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router
      • triple check that the Sky STB's telephone connection is not plugged directly into the telephone socket, but goes through a Microfilter
      • see if a burglar alarm is correctly filtered
      • perform a 'quiet line test'

To perform a quiet line test, plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise on (i.e. crackling, hiss) it should be totally silent.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, Well I've been on sky just over 3 months now, Or somewhere close to it. And we had a problem with the sky person setting the microfilter wrong but that was sorted so i think that's fine.
      When i dial 1 on the phone i hear a really quiet buzzing but that's all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IanPearmain View Post
      Hi, Well I've been on sky just over 3 months now, Or somewhere close to it. And we had a problem with the sky person setting the microfilter wrong but that was sorted so i think that's fine.
      What happened with the microfilter?

Also do you have any telephone extensions?

Quote Originally Posted by IanPearmain View Post
      When i dial 1 on the phone i hear a really quiet buzzing but that's all.
      Hmmm... Can you confirm whether you had the router connected when you performed the quiet line test please? If so, then does the buzzing sound like a high-pitched fax machine?

If this is the case, then your microfilter needs to be changed as it isn't performing well enough. The Microfilters supplied by Sky and most other ISPs are not really that good and tend to be hit or miss. A Filtered Faceplate will use better quality electronics and last much longer. Microfilters will normally last around 2 years.

If the router wasn't connected and you could hear the noise, then you need to speak to your line provider as you have a line fault.

Your Line Provider (whom ever you pay your line rental to) is responsible for the telephone line from the telephone exchange to the Test Socket. You are responsible for the telephone wiring after that point. If a problem were found to be caused by an extension, for example, then you could be charged 160. This is why we ask for such test to be done in the Test Socket (link in previous post).

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What happened with the microfilter?

Also do you have any telephone extensions?

Hmmm... Can you confirm whether you had the router connected when you performed the quiet line test please? If so, then does the buzzing sound like a high-pitched fax machine?

If this is the case, then your microfilter needs to be changed as it isn't performing well enough. The Microfilters supplied by Sky and most other ISPs are not really that good and tend to be hit or miss. A Filtered Faceplate will use better quality electronics and last much longer. Microfilters will normally last around 2 years.

If the router wasn't connected and you could hear the noise, then you need to speak to your line provider as you have a line fault.

Your Line Provider (whom ever you pay your line rental to) is responsible for the telephone line from the telephone exchange to the Test Socket. You are responsible for the telephone wiring after that point. If a problem were found to be caused by an extension, for example, then you could be charged 160. This is why we ask for such test to be done in the Test Socket (link in previous post).
      I tested it on the phone that is plugged into the microfilter and the router was also connected, The buzzing was barely hear-able. I'm also using the microfilter that sky sent and my telephone line rental is with sky. I have 3 phone sockets in my house, One that i'm using is the master socket in the living room, There's also a old small BT box on the stairs and another master socket in the bedroom, These was all here when i moved into the property and non expect the master socket in the living room is being used, I think the bedroom socket is connected straight to the street also as the wire from that socket runs down the outside of the house.

Thanks

Interesting what you are saying about the two sockets.

Could you check to see which is the main master socket please? A master socket will have a yellow capacitor the size of a AAA battery behind the faceplate.

Also can you confirm whether either is an NTE5 Master Socket?

If one or both is an NTE5 socket, then could you plug a phone into the test socket behind the faceplate and see if you have a live line?

Technically you should not have two masters on the same line. This can cause other issues. It is possible that the main master socket is the one in the bedroom. If this is the case, then it is likely to produce the best connection stats for the Sky router. Whilst this might be a little inconvenient for some, there are things that can be done so that you can get access to the router around your home.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry for the slow reply was busy, But i bought a new microfilter today and its back up to 7.4 DB. Thanks for the help.

And as for the master sockets, Neither had anything yellow that was visible when i removed the faceplate, Although the one in the living room had a blue bundle of something that was around the size of an AAA battery which the bedroom one didn't. Also the one in the living room has BT wrote on the case while the bedroom one has virgin media written on it (No idea if this makes any difference).

Thanks

There may be a third socket hidden somewhere in your home or you may have a grey box on your outside wall connected to the incoming telephone line.

It is known for the master socket to be hidden in the loft in some houses.

If possible could you post some photographs of the sockets with their faceplates removed. Someone here might be able to help correctly identify everything for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay well. I couldn't find the a third socket or a grey box on the outside, But i have low noise margin (below 3.0) again. So i guess its not the microfilter?

Its really irritating since whenever the noise margin is this low the ping spikes drastically and its near impossible to use the internet at all.

I'm thinking about phoning up sky about this but i fear they're like virgin media helpline, Braindead and don't know anything other than their script. Is there nothing else you can think of that could be causing this?

Thanks

I don't know what the Customer Services are like with Virgin when it comes to tech support. I know what they can be like when it comes to moving or a few other things though.

As for Sky, whilst the majority are very nice to speak with, they do have to follow a script when it comes to fault finding. Some have access to the systems which allow them to reconfigure a line, others don't and will swear blind that it cannot be reconfigured at all, when the truth is that they can't do it and don't know or care that someone else can.

There are a few other things that you may wish to try out. Take a look at the following link:

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast