Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Router Downstream noise margin

This is a discussion on Router Downstream noise margin within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Its really irritating since whenever the noise margin is this low the ping spikes drastically and its near impossible to ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Router Downstream noise margin

Its really irritating since whenever the noise margin is this low the ping spikes drastically and its near impossible to use the internet at all.
      You can reboot your router and it will sync at a sustainable speed. This will be lower, but 2 or 3Mb that you can use is better than 4Mb that you can't. You can regain the speed when the noise margin goes up.

Are there any wires attached to the faceplate of your master socket? If there is not, can you remove the inner plate from the master socket and check how many wires are connected to the A and B terminals? When the face plate of the master is removed, do your other sockets still have dial tone?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      IanPearmain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hmm well I'm really beginning to think its not anything to do with my end, I'm getting massive lag spikes at all times and its really annoying me now.

Doesn't this indicate that its not my end at fault (for the ping spikes which i think the noise margin is causing/affecting)

I did many of these and the 1st and 2nd hops was always the same while the other 5 varied in ping spikes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can reboot your router and it will sync at a sustainable speed. This will be lower, but 2 or 3Mb that you can use is better than 4Mb that you can't. You can regain the speed when the noise margin goes up.

Are there any wires attached to the faceplate of your master socket? If there is not, can you remove the inner plate from the master socket and check how many wires are connected to the A and B terminals? When the face plate of the master is removed, do your other sockets still have dial tone?
      I have rebooted my router many times to try and fix this problem, Nothing changes within the settings.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      How long have you been connected to Sky?

There are a few possibilities, the first being that you have just been connected and that DLM hasn't run yet. If this is the case then you connection speed is likely to drop.

Alternatively if you have had your Sky connection for a while, and you haven't been moved to new Sky equipment, then something has occurred to slow your connection.

It may pay you to look at your connection in either case to see if you can improve things. Some quick things to go through include the following:

• ensure that anything connected to your telephone line is going through a Microfilter or you have a Filtered Faceplate on the Master Socket
      • use the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router
      • triple check that the Sky STB's telephone connection is not plugged directly into the telephone socket, but goes through a Microfilter
      • see if a burglar alarm is correctly filtered
      • perform a 'quiet line test'

To perform a quiet line test, plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise on (i.e. crackling, hiss) it should be totally silent.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?
      When suggesting that a quiet line test is carried out, the result is hardly ever total silence, a low hum is quite normal, as is hiss (hiss depends on the type of wired telephone used, some have a very poor responce in this respect) If the hum is due to an earth loop fault somewhere on the line this will certinly affect BB performance, but the hum and possible crackle is then so loud that normal conversation becomes difficult.
      What the quiet line test is really for is to allow any crackle to show up which may otherwise be masked by normal speech or information tones.

You can get an idea of what to listern for by killing the dial tone with a single digit and then gently waggly the phone plug, or withdraw it a little bit, the noise you then hear is tipical of the sort of thing to listern for.

If your phone plug is very noisy when you try this, a very light squirt of WD40 will cure it, or switch cleaner if you have it.
      Last edited by Brian69; 24-10-11 at 04:15 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian69 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (24-10-11)

Thanks

I have rebooted my router many times to try and fix this problem, Nothing changes within the settings.
      Try power cycling the router by switching off the power for a minute then switch it on again. If this does not resync at the default of around 7db, there is something wrong with your router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try power cycling the router by switching off the power for a minute then switch it on again. If this does not resync at the default of around 7db, there is something wrong with your router.
      When i reboot it like this, the noise margin is 7.4. Then 10-20 minutes later it'll change and become unstable.

Thanks

It looks like there is something wrong with your line. All you can do is phone Sky and put the problem in their hands.

I would have liked a reply to the questions in my post #11, we might have been able to give more advice before you call Sky..

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12