Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By stubrown17

F@ST2504 N vs DSL-2640S

This is a discussion on F@ST2504 N vs DSL-2640S within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area but I ...

stubrown17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01493
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

F@ST2504 N vs DSL-2640S

Hi

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area but I would like pick your brains on a few points.

I switched to sky from tiscali (now talktalk) a couple of months ago and have been inundated with problems ever since. I previously used my own wireless-n router (D-link DSL 2740B) with tiscali and since changing over have seen drastic changes in broadband quality. I assume that this is solely down to the router (DSL-2640S) and not the broadband service provided by sky? Even though it seems to be poorer on wired connections too...

Anyway, at my wits end, thanks to your forum, I have found out that sky are now selling the F@ST2504 N and am thinking about buying the new router (or calling and threatening to leave if the don't give me the username and password details so that I can go back to my old router).

I am running a vodaphone suresignal connected direct;y to the router. Three xboxes, one desktop, one slingbox connected via homeplug. One Ipad, one or two Iphones and two or three laptops connected wirelessly.

Whilst I'm sure that the wireless quality will improve, my questions are:-

1. Will the wired connection (LAN) improve with the new router?

2. Does the new router have Port Forwarding so that I can get my suresignal, slingbox and xboxes all connected with open NAT (I still haven't really managed to get this working right with the DSL-2640S)

Honest opinions of the new router vs the DSL-2640S would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      bbtech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: YEOVIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: F@ST2504 N vs DSL-2640S

Hello,

I am currently using the new router and have no issues with it since connection and it provides a decent signal quality too, similar to my old BT HomeHub v2 which we have had over the past year or so before Sky.

It does has Port Forwarding, referred to as Services on the new Sky router. Admittedly, the interface is rather basic, but its final outcome is the same.

I would recommend updating to the new router.

As for the LAN connection, I couldn't comment.
      How to get your router statistics
      Remember: Sky use a target SNR of 7dB.
      Remember: New connections to Sky broadband undergo a 10 day training period.
      Attenuation Speed Calculator
      SNR Explained

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have been using the new router since 7th September, quality is excellent, wireless works all over the house.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stubrown17 View Post
      1. Will the wired connection (LAN) improve with the new router?
      Both routers have 100Mb LANs. If you are looking for a router which offers a faster LAN speed, then perhaps you should consider one that has a 1Gbit LAN.

There are essential two paths you could adopt:

1. a non-Sky ADSL router
      2. a Cable router

Whilst technically using a non-sky router is against Sky's T&Cs, many people do use their own routers without any problems.

The Cable router option would mean that you could disable the WiFi on the Sky router and use it effectively as a Modem, connecting it directly to the Cable router. The Cable router could then manage your home LAN & WiFi connections. This would keep you within Sky's T&Cs.

I'm currently using the Netgear DGND3700 and it can be used either way.

Other routers worth considering are discussed in the thread linked below:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

Quote Originally Posted by stubrown17 View Post
      2. Does the new router have Port Forwarding so that I can get my suresignal, slingbox and xboxes all connected with open NAT (I still haven't really managed to get this working right with the DSL-2640S)
      Port forwarding has already been mentioned. However some people have mentioned issues with the Suresignal on some of Sky's connections. If you do, it may be down to the IP address. Some of Sky's start with '2' and these used to belong to the US Military. Currently yours isn't in this range, but it could change.

If this happens, contact Vodafone. They have already been told about some IP ranges in the past.

Also most people seem to have a few issues when there are two Xboxs on the same connection. Whilst one will connect well, normally the other won't be able to host any games.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stubrown17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01493
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Thanks for your responses.

Just wanted to let you all know that I called Sky and gave them 3 options:-

1. Give me the password so that I can use my own router
      2. Give me the new router gratis
      3. I will cancel

As you would expect, the person I spoke to went away and can't back with negative responses to the first two BUT had an alternative for me...

I pay the 35 quid for the new box and get a credit of 35 against my bill.

The new router is on it's way!!!
      Scubbie likes this.