Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem router and Tenda W311R+ WDS

This is a discussion on Sagem router and Tenda W311R+ WDS within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This has been discussed on these boards before, but I thought I'd post my experience and setup with this router ...

RapidBadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Smile Sagem router and Tenda W311R+ WDS

This has been discussed on these boards before, but I thought I'd post my experience and setup with this router as I didn't find all the info in one place.

I recently bought an LG nas and had this wired to the Sagem router downstairs. The fan noise was a little annoying and the cables were all over the place so I thought I'd try to move the nas upstairs out of the way. I couldn't use cables to connect the nas to the router but I'd heard that you could connect two routers together using WDS (wireless distribution system). I purchased a Tenda W311R+ for about 12 off amazon and decided to give it a go. Only after geting it did I find out that both routers need to have WDS to talk to each other, but after some digging it seemed like the sagem could do it, but the feature was hidden.

What I now have is the sagem router downstairs hooked up to the phoneline and doing wireless. I have a computer upstairs wired to the Tenda along with the nas. The two routers are connected wrielessly with WDS and I can access the nas from all other computers in the house and the tv and blu-ray, even with the computer off.

So these are the steps I used to get it all working:

Don't connect the Tenda yet, go tothe admin page of the sagem and change the DHCP range to something small. I used 2 to 48, but any number will do. Numbers outside this range will be used to staticly assign stuff. Then go to the wrieless setup and change to a fixed channel. You can't leave it on auto. I ussed inSSIDer to find out what channel it was already using and set it to that - 1 in my case. Apply this setting. Then you'll need to disable any wireless security. Just until we get it going. Make sure that you can still connect to the sagem and that all internet still works.

I then set my computer to have a static IP address. This doesn't seem to be strictly needed, but I intended to use a static IP for the nas, so I thought I'd use it on the main computer too. Change the adapter settings in windows (7) for the IPv4 stuff to static instead of dynamic. Change your DNS and gateway to be 192.168.0.1 to go through the sagem. I set my IP to be 50 for the computer. If you can still get to the net then carry on...

Disconnect from the sagem and then plug in the Tenda with an ethernet to a computer. Go to it's settings page. Then go to advanced and to LAN. Change the Tenda's IP address from 192.168.0.1 to something else that outside the range you set in step one. I put my main computer on 50 and the nas was going on 51, so I put the Tenda on 52. It will then reboot.
      Going to this new address will now bring up the settings page. Go to advanced, DNS and make sure the tick box is off. Then go to WLAN settings and make sure wireless is on and that it's using the same channel as the sagem - 1 in my case. I also changed the SSID to be the same as my sagem one. It's SKY<XXXXX>. Also on this page make a note of the BSSID mac address for the Tenda. We'll need to put this in to the sagem in a bit.
      Make sure the wireless security is disabled on the Tenda, just like the sagem. Apply all these settings. Next go to DHCP and make sure it's off. We only want to sagem doing any DHCP stuff.

Turn the Tenda off and connect back up to the sagem. This next bit is the hack to get WDS working. Go to maintenance and to backup settings. Do a backup to a file on your computer. It will save a file call sky_settings.conf. Open up this file in notepad or similar (notepad++).
      You'll need to change the following lines...

bridgeRestrict="enabled"
      wdsMAC_0="put mac address of Tenda here"

Save this file, then go to the router and use restore to read the settings back in. The sagem should now be able to accept WDS requests from the Tenda.

Disconnect from the sagem and back to the Tenda. Go to WLAN and WDS and pick "bridge mode" from the drop down. You'll need to scan or enter the mac address of the sagem in the box. Make sure any security on this page is off.
      Apply these settings and the router will reboot.

Fingers crossed the router will boot in WDS mode and connect to the sagem. The network icon in the task bar should say your sky router SSID and that you have internet access.

If this all worked test out any other kit you have and that everything can see everything correctly.

If you missed any steps here you'll probably not get it working. First time I missed turning DHCP off on the Tenda and couldn't get to the net, then I missed the gateway off on the staic IP and got the same result.

You can only use WEP security with WDS. Make sure everything is working first then activate WEP in THREE places. On the sagem as usual and on the Tenda in wireless security AND in the WDS settings. This is what I have running now. My computer to the nas speeds are really good, because it's LAN. I did read that WDS can decrease your wireless speeds, but I can still download fast and can stream HD footage to my tv with no stalling. I also stream music to my ipod and phone.

All in all for an outlay of 12 it's all working really well . Hope someone finds this guide useful.

Steve

2. Advertisement
      KeithJeb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router and Tenda W311R+ WDS

Hi,
      What model of sagem router have you got? I can't see any specific model names but have 'v6' written on the product info sticker.

The reason I ask is that my conf file doesn't have any mention of the two settings you suggest changing.

RapidBadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router and Tenda W311R+ WDS

it's a sagem F@ST2504 (I think, the first sagem router sky supplied, dark grey). There are no model or version numbers on mine, just the sky sticker with my info. It has firmware v2.8. Which settings don't you have?