Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I use a Sky dg934g as a repeater?

This is a discussion on Can I use a Sky dg934g as a repeater? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I'm a newbie so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place. I am currently using a ...

jojohuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I use a Sky dg934g as a repeater?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I am currently using a netgear (sky branded) dg934g as my main router. Unfortunately the only working telephone line in the house is upstairs (which the router is plugged into) so I'm getting a bad wi-fi strength downstairs, and I also can't plug in my Sky HD box to start using the Sky Anytime + service.

I've just been to PC world and they've told me to buy an N series router and use this as my main one (to improve wi-fi strength). Therefore I have purchased a Belkin Surf N300 router that I want to put in upstairs andand then I can use the netgear router downstairs as a repeater to plug my Sky HD box into (and hopefully give a bit more improvement to my wi-fi signal).

Firstly - is this possible?

I've spoken to Sky and they were not much help at all. If it is possible then I'd really appreciate if someone could give me instructions on how to do this.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.
      Last edited by jojohuk; 15-09-11 at 01:14 PM. Reason: updated router model purchased

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Can I use a Sky dg934g as a repeater?

Everything is possible.

You may wish to take a look at these two threads though as they answer all your questions:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Thanks so much for your quick and informative reply. However I have read through both articles and am now probably more confused that to begin with.

I was hoping you could provide with some advice on the best way to go. The sky router has to stay in the main bedroom as that is the only working telephone line in the house.

I therefore want a wi fi access point downstairs in the lounge, and an ethernet connection so I can plug in my Sky STB.

I cannot connect two routers via eithernet as the cable would be far too long and have to trail down stairs with two children in the house.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Everything is possible.

You may wish to take a look at these two threads though as they answer all your questions:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...e-network.html

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The answer to your heading question is no, none of the routers running Sky firmware can be put into any type of bridging mode.

If you read Scubbies PDF you will have seen mention of Homeplugs. If you cannot use a long ethernet cable, these are your best choice. One plug beside and connected to the Sky router and another downstairs connected to your own router would do what you want. This will give you an idea of what they are and the cost, although you should shop around for the best price.

Edit, forgot the link
      Homeplug | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk
      Last edited by Isitme; 15-09-11 at 04:00 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion.

As Tom has mentioned, a pair of HomePlugs would be your best choice. Place the first beside your router in the bedroom and the 2nd could be located near to your TV.

If you set up the 2nd router using the guide 'http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html', then it can then be set up to provide WiFi cover as required.

If you configure the WiFi on both routers so that the use the same SSID (broadcast name), password and security settings, but different channels, then you could easily move around your home with a laptop and it would connect to the strongest signal.

It can also be used to allow you to connect you Sky+ HD STB, if this is what you have.

If that is not the best location, you could actually place the 2nd HomePlug & 2nd router any where you wish.

HomePlugs cost from around 35. The newest document describes more of their features.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I really appreciate both yours and Toms replies.

I did go to PC World with the intention of purchasing DEVOLO dLAN Highspeed II HomePlug Network Kit at cheap prices | PC World these.

However the sales assistant informed me that they would only work if the router and the plug downstairs is on the same electrical circuit in the house.

Unfortunately mine is not, I have a separate circuit for upstairs and downstairs, hence why I purchased a new modem as the assistant then informed me this was the best possible route.

In your experience do you know if this is true (i.e. they need to be on the same circuit?).

If this is indeed the case I may keep my new N router and use it to replace the sky box and purchase an additional cheap G router to use as the repeater downstairs.

Would this be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry for the confusion.

As Tom has mentioned, a pair of HomePlugs would be your best choice. Place the first beside your router in the bedroom and the 2nd could be located near to your TV.

Thanks

If both circuits are going through the same fuse box, then all should be absolutely fine.

When you first get them, set them up side-by-side and check that everything works.

Then Place on beside you main router and the other downstairs.

If your home wiring is particularly old, then HomePlugs can perform poorly.

Another option to consider is a long Ethernet cable. I know that you said that you don't want a long cable where the children can trip over, but have you considered feeding a cable up through the loft, and then back down to the lounge?

Ethernet cable is around 50p a metre at present. Cat 5a would be sufficient, but I normally suggest shielded Cat 6 cable as this can help prevent electrical interference from other sources.

You would also require a pair of wall sockets, such as shown here: RJ45 Modular Wall Outlets : Modular Wall Accessories : Maplin

A short lead could then run from each socket to the routers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I'm afraid I would not take advice from PCW about anything and they are about the last place I would buy anything from. They should be aware that using your own router with Sky is not straight forward and requires a bit of nohow to set it up. The same Develo plugs can be got from Amazon a lot cheaper than PCW, as can most things they sell. [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-Highspeed-HomePlug-Network/dp/B00297IPY0]Devolo dLAN Highspeed II (HomePlug) Network Kit - (3x plugs): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

What router did they sell you?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.