Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Keeps Losing Connection.

This is a discussion on Router Keeps Losing Connection. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, We have been having this problem for the past few weeks and I am still no closer to getting ...

Jewel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Question Router Keeps Losing Connection.

Hi,

We have been having this problem for the past few weeks and I am still no closer to getting it sorted and I'm getting really fed up. I use the internet for work and am meant to be working now but it keeps dropping the connection. Sometimes it will be ok for an hour or so, then it will go, last a few seconds/minutes then go again.

I am not a techie person so don't understand most techie speak. I have downloaded inSSIDer as advised to do by someone off another forum, but I can't make head-nor-tail of that.

I have been on the phone with Sky a few times, have done the troubleshooting and still the same.

I have bought a new microfilter and Sky are supposed to be sending a new one from them out to me, will try that when it gets here.

I have done the test socket thing with the guy on the phone. I can't phone anymore as I have no credit and can't use the land-line as it sometimes goes off when the router does (a lot) Will try that again tomorrow to double check.

There is nothing that could interfere with the signal around the router. It is up in a high position. We are using it Wi-Fi currently with no Ethernet attached, though I did try to connect this last week and it still made no difference.

From the socket there is a micro-filter attached - then in that is the router and the phone line (though we have taken the phone line out to see if that does anything - nothing so far)

Apart from the last two weeks we have no problems at all with it and it's usually fast and hardly ever goes off, certainly not this much.

Below are some random shots I have taken over the past few days:

Lights from the top down:

1 - Green.

2 - Not lit.

3 - Flickers a lot - green.

4 - Flickers a lot mainly orange/red, then green for a while then off and round again.

We are having the same problems on all three laptops in the house as well.
      I don't know if anything shows up as to what the problem could be from the above? Anyone have any other thoughts as I'm going crazy here trying to fix it and not knowing how or what's wrong.

Thanks for reading.
      Last edited by Jewel; 15-09-11 at 02:53 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Router Keeps Losing Connection.

Firstly just a polite mention, Sky's broadband service is not targeted at the business market. A proper business based broadband connection has a guaranteed level of service and you would be paid suitable compensation for the potential loss of earnings if you had such a contract.

That out the way, there is a major clue in your own post as to the cause of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
      ...I have done the test socket thing with the guy on the phone. I can't phone anymore as I have no credit and can't use the land-line as it sometimes goes off when the router does (a lot) Will try that again tomorrow to double check. ...
      Forget everything else, as your stats confirm it is the ADSL connection which is dropping too.

You have a line fault.

It is now very import that you are doing the following:

Connect your router to the Test Socket using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the router and a Microfilter.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Remember that the pictures in the link above are for an NTE5 socket. It has a split front cover. You need to remove this front cover to gain access to the test socket.

You can plug a telephone into the 'phone port' on the microfilter, but for the moment could you just see if the router works first please.

Once you have done this, could you check that every extension is dead.

Having checked that all extensions are dead, you can then plug a corded telephone into the 'phone port' on the microfilter and check that it is working.

Could you now dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise on the line. It should be totally silent, with not hiss or crackling. I am expecting to you hear some crackling. The crackling will indicate that you line has a break somewhere between your home and the telephone exchange.

This being the case, then you need to contact your line provider (i.e. whom ever you pay your line rental to). If it is Sky Talk, then call them on the 08442 414141 number and ask them to ring you back on your mobile if you get disconnected. They can do this.

If you are not with Sky Talk, don't mention the issues with the broadband as this will confuse the issue.

Your line provider is responsible for maintaining your telephone line.

Edit: I forgot to mention: You are responsible for any internal telephone wiring. Your line provider is responsible for the wiring from the test socket to the telephone exchange. If there is any fault from the test socket to the exchange you will not be charged for any repairs (unless you have deliberately done some damage or some other exception). You will be advised of the potential costs of a call out, this is normal.

This is why it is so important to use the test socket to confirm any line fault.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Jewel (16-09-11)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The wide fluctuation in your attenuation indicates a line fault. If this is happening in the Test socket then you will get nowhere with the broadband until the line fault is fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jewel (16-09-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you both so much for answering, those are the clearest indications as to what is wrong that I have been told in the past few weeks.

I have just started working from home and didn't know about a business package will look into that thank you.

Will test and post back asap.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK done the test socket test.

With just the micro-filter and the router plugged in the internet was still the same and actually went off twice during this time.

With the micro-filter+router and the phone plugged in: When we dialed #1 and listened there was a little noise, but not really loud though.
      But when we pressed to hear the dialing tone it was much worse and sounded like a two tone dialing tone, a bit like a siren under the dialing tone with funny noise.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Well done.

The two-tone dial tone could be an indication that you have a message. Dial 1571 to hear it.

In the mean time, you do need to contact your line provider (whom ever you pay your line rental) and arrange for BTO to repair your line.

Hopefully then things can be resolved sooner.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Jewel (16-09-11)

Thanks

a bit like a siren under the dialing tone with funny noise.
      This could indicate a faulty filter, try another one and see if you get the same noise. Apart from that, it does look like your connection is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jewel (16-09-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you both so much for replying. Now I can't connection wireless at all.

On my router up the top now the third light from the top won't even come on at all. It just kept saying network adapter, network connectivity problem. And now the only way I can get any signal is to be sat down next to the router plugged in via Ethernet, without that there's nothing at all and even with it's not great and I really need Wi-Fi.

Will contact Sky as we have the phone with them and everything, just hope it isn't going to cost a lot to get it fixed.

Thanks

Reset your router by pushing a pin into the reset hole on the rear. Hold it there for 10 secs or until the lights on the front begin to flash.

TomD

Useful Utilites

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Jewel (16-09-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Reset it and now it is staying connected as far as I can tell from the past few minutes. If it stays connected via Ethernet does that still indicate a line fault or something else. I can't connect via wireless at all now. And don't know what to say to Sky the problem is.

EDIT: OK just tried plugging the phone cable back into the micro-filter and the connection went again and when I pressed to hear the dialing tone it was full of crackling. ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast