Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504

This is a discussion on V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; First Post on this forum. Never had any issue with Sky Broadband until I bought a Buffalo NAS and connected ...

nnj10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504

First Post on this forum.

Never had any issue with Sky Broadband until I bought a Buffalo NAS and connected to my Router.
      When it is connetced my internet access becomes very slow, and then improves randomy(i.e. goes back to normal speed what it should be), and then slow again.
      Cant do any BIG downloads on my NAS.
      (Sometimes downloading a small file of 100MB takes more than half an hour)

Don't know if this is just something wrong with the ports of my router etc. or anything else?

Also when I switch off my NAS, my interenet access seems to work generally at very good speed.

Sky Customer Service is not very helpful.
      Looking forward to any help from expert on this.

EDIT: My Sky router is F@ST 2304, and not F@ST 2504

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504

Could you post your router stats please?

Also it should be pointed out the your download speed of a torrent will vary according to whom you are connected to and their upload speed.

Public torrent sites suffer badly with low upload speeds on old torrents. New torrents and private torrent sites often produce goo download speeds.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are my router stats:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504-snap.jpg  

Thanks

Thank you for those.

Currently you have some room for improvement, but before getting this looked at it would be useful to check how your router is connected to the telephone line and if there is anything that can be done to improve things.

Ideally you should only connect an ADSL router to the Master Socket using the short grey ADSL cable supplied by Sky with the router and a microfilter that plugs into the socket.

Sky supply a pair of microfilters, but these are not always brilliant.

Do you have any telephone extensions?

If you do, could you post a copy of your router's stats from the Test Socket. See the link above for the Master Socket and this will help you to locate the test socket.

You may not see any improvement in the connection speed. We are looking at all the figures to judge whether there would be an improvement.

Currently your upload speed is set at 509kbps. I tend to recommend that people limit their upload speed for torrent to 2/3rds of the max upload speed. In your case I would suggest that you set it to no more than 25kB/s, which is about half your potential upload speed.

Note: In case you aren't familiar there is a difference between the figures indicated by 'b' & 'B'. One is bits, the other is Bytes.

If you have it set too high, it will impair your browsing on the web. If it is unlimited then it will impact your download speeds. If it is too low, then your ratio will be very poor.

If your router's upload speed can be improved, then you can increase this later.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you for such a detailed post.

I do have a telephone extension and my router is plugged into the microfilter which is connected to a phone line extention.

Also I have noticed that if I was to plug the router into my master socket, my speed would improve only slightly, but anyway I am posting the router stats. from my Master socket.

I have also amended the upload speed for bit torrent to lower it as suggested.

However, what I dont understand is that why would just connecting a NAS drive to my router would slow down the internet speed such that I cannot even open a webpage?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V.V. Slow internet Connectivity when a NAS is connected to Sagem F@ST 2504-snap1.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it is set to automatically connect to the internet, torrents,P2P etc, this will cause a slow down in your connection. I doubt if it is a faulty port, but try changing the port you are using, see if that helps.

You need to call Sly and ask them to increase your upload speed. You should have almost double the speed you have.

If you are using a trailing telephone extension as opposed to a fixed wall socket, this can cause noise on the line, not necessarily all the time, but it will impact on your speed. If you must use an extension get a good quality one made up of twisted pair cable, ordinary telephone extensions are no good for broadband,

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

nnj10 (28-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nnj10 View Post
      I do have a telephone extension and my router is plugged into the microfilter which is connected to a phone line extention.

Also I have noticed that if I was to plug the router into my master socket, my speed would improve only slightly, but anyway I am posting the router stats. from my Master socket.
      There is a noticeable improvement in your figures by you using the Master Socket. For a start your Line Attenuation on the download connection dropped from 44dB to 42dB. The noise margin didn't improve, but on the upstream connection a similar improvement is visible, along with an increase in the Noise Margin.

If you were to connect to the Test Socket and get the stats again, I would expect the Noise Margins to increase again.

Why is this good? It demonstrates that your extension is reducing your connection speed and that you have room for improvement. This is a very common issue.

If you were to purchase, fit and use a filtered faceplate, then you would definitely benefit. Once this has been done, give Sky a friendly call and let them know that you have made significant improvements to your internal wiring.

You may need to purchase an IDC tool at the same time.

Please take a look at the page linked to below for a little explanation of this:
      ::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

Sites such as run-IT-direct & ADSL Nation can supply you with everything that you need. Give them a call if you can't find what you need.

If you don't have an NTE5 Master Socket though, you will need a different faceplate than the normal options.

Once you have the filtered faceplate, the router will need to be located by the master socket. If you need a wired connection elsewhere in your home, then please look at either of the following options. Each has a different price bracket but for different reasons one may not be suitable for your home:

• long Ethernet cable (anything from 1m to 100m. 10 Cat 5e can cost under 5)
      • pair of HomePlugs (uses your electrical wiring to extend your LAN. Requires good home wiring. Costs from around 35. Various different designs are available, do take a look at the different options. I would suggest that you aim for a pair that supports 100 or 200mbps and has a pass-through socket if electrical sockets are short and they don't function well on Surge Protected extensions)

A Network Switch can be used to provide multiple LAN ports in the 2nd location if required. A 5-Port Network Switch costs around 6. If you have an old Router, it could be configured to work in place of the Network Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by nnj10 View Post
      I have also amended the upload speed for bit torrent to lower it as suggested.

However, what I dont understand is that why would just connecting a NAS drive to my router would slow down the internet speed such that I cannot even open a webpage?
      Any Torrents would be competing for all your upload bandwidth. You would be unable to send a request for a particular web page, let alone send an email.

I have also found that when I've left it to run unrestricted, it actually causes it's own downloads to slow down as it cannot send fresh requests for further data.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

nnj10 (28-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I managed to get my NAS working with no noticeable drop in speed by just swapping the physical port on my sky router, so far it is looking good.
      If I again see drastic drop in internet speed I would have to follow your recommendations, but too geeky for me.