Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

is the new sky router worth 35 quid?

This is a discussion on is the new sky router worth 35 quid? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, basicly im still using my old linksys wireless g router thats about 5 years old, which for internet ...

ricflairandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

is the new sky router worth 35 quid?

Hi guys, basicly im still using my old linksys wireless g router thats about 5 years old, which for internet purposes is great. However the wifi is now occasionally cutting out and the range is crap. So im thinking of a new router.

phoned sky who offered me teh new sky router for 35 quid. Is it worth it, does it have a good range, or would i be better going and getting my own router?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: is the new sky router worth 35 quid?

Better get your own router.

OldFourEyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01260
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ricflairandy View Post
      Hi guys, basicly im still using my old linksys wireless g router thats about 5 years old, which for internet purposes is great. However the wifi is now occasionally cutting out and the range is crap. So im thinking of a new router.

phoned sky who offered me teh new sky router for 35 quid. Is it worth it, does it have a good range, or would i be better going and getting my own router?

Cheers
      Yes. I've only had mine (a Sagem F@AST 2504n) a couple of days but I noticed that it found eight other local routers whereas my Netgear 834GT only discovered three at the most, so it certainly has a greater receiving capability.

The Netgear was starting to drop the connection more and more frequently but none with the new one so far.

Download speed is the same but the noise margin is very much better. I would say it's certainly worth 35.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OldFourEyes View Post
      Yes. I've only had mine (a Sagem F@AST 2504n) a couple of days but I noticed that it found eight other local routers whereas my Netgear 834GT only discovered three at the most, so it certainly has a greater receiving capability.

The Netgear was starting to drop the connection more and more frequently but none with the new one so far.

Download speed is the same but the noise margin is very much better. I would say it's certainly worth 35.
      How does your router "find" other routers ?

My Sky/Netgear DG934G ADSL connection was getting unreliable so I checked the PSU voltage and it was well below the rated 12v.
      I replaced the PSU ( cost 10 from Amazon ) and now it's rock solid.

If the noise margin has increased from Sky's default of 7db then your speed should increase unless you're capped or have an intermittant noise issue...

Re: 2504N Router : If you've extracted your details from the original Sky router and are using your own, it's a poor deal, look elsewhere.

If you're happy with the ADSL speed/reliability of your existing router Sky or otherwise, it's a poor deal, add a wireless access point of better spec for slightly less money.

If you're unhappy with your existing Sky router ( assuming it's not actually faulty )and you don't want to go against Sky's T&C, then it's the only option you've got.

ricflairandy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have my details in my current linksys router, i hated the old netgear one. Can you reccomend any good n alternatives to the new sky one?

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It depends what features you want and how much you want to spend.
      Billion brand routers seem to be popular with posters on Skyuser forum at the moment, but quality and fancy spec don't come cheap.
      The Billion 7xxx range seem to start at about 75 and head to the stratosphere from there.
      Top Rated ADSL Wireless-N Router (802.11N)