Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router(s) issues

This is a discussion on Router(s) issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I was having a problem with my router a few weeks back where it would take (with PC on or ...

Villordsutch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unhappy Router(s) issues

I was having a problem with my router a few weeks back where it would take (with PC on or off) around 30 minutes to load up to allow us to access the web.

I thought it must be on it's way out so I dug out from the box the 2nd router Sky had dispatched to me over a year ago when there was an issue with the internet which turned out it wasn't hardware as they said.

It seemed fine initially, however now it too takes 30 minutes (plus) to load up correctly to allow us to access the web.

Does anyone else have this issue, or can recommend a fix?

I turn the router off at night, should I be doing this?

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Router(s) issues

I turn the router off at night, should I be doing this?
      Just leave it on, unless you are a tree-hugger who worries about every little bit of carbon you create. The cost is minimal and some claim switching the router off/on too often damages the electronics and shortens its life.

The only time I would recommend turning off the router at night is in those few occasions where the line gets so noisy it reduces the router speed. There are not many places where this is necessary.

In saying that it should not take too long for the router to connect, try plugging it into the Test socket and see if that helps. If it does it probably means your internal wiring is causing interference, so you are probably loosing out on speed as well.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Villordsutch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01925
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router(s) issues

Will leave it on from this point on. I thought we needed to turn it all off.

We don't have a test socket. Sounds daft and at one point BT Internet sent a guy out as they thought we were lying.

He came out opened the box and was shocked as there was only one socket.

Will be Wi-Fi'ed through the night now from this point on