Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fauty router?

This is a discussion on Fauty router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Could a dying router produce the problems I'm having? It's a Netgear DG934. Sorry for the long message! Until ...

dstewart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fauty router?

Hi,

Could a dying router produce the problems I'm having? It's a Netgear DG934. Sorry for the long message!

Until recently my line (LLU) has been stable for days or weeks on end around 9400kbps. Last month I switched line rental to Sky. DLM kicked in and set an 8000kbps limit. I had the profile increased and performance was back where to where it's been.

Since then I was losing sync at least once a day. I tried new filters with no difference and put it down to DLM, general noise, or a slightly more noisy line because there would have been a physical change at the exchange.

Last Saturday the line kept losing sync and resyncing about 5 or 6 times in a half hour period. Each time it came back at the same or higher speed.

It settled down again until Friday when it started losing sync every 5 or 10 minutes from 7:30pm to 11:30pm. I phoned Sky and we ran through *all* the tests (new filters... again, test socket, etc) without anything showing. It did resync a couple of times in the test socket, but I'm not sure if that was due to the problem or config changes.

We reinstated the 8000kbps cap to monitor things. The router was put back in the master socket and was stable for half an hour...

Connection Speed 7994 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41 db 21 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 16 db

I watched this drop out, and the cycle of resyncs resumed for another half hour or so.

Saturday was fine, sitting at the same speed with a solid 10db margin all day and a 1 or 2db variance in the evening. I also picked up a cheap corded phone for a silent line test - it's fine.

Today's logs showed an overnight resync and a short cycle of resyncs just before 9am. The overnight resync was due to DLM. It was still running and had increased the upstream. I called Sky and had it suspended - one less variable.

Tonight I get back in and find the connection has been down most of the afternoon. Half a dozen resyncs from 1 to 2pm, then "LCP is allowed to come up", "Initialise LCP". This is the first time the LED has been out.

I reset the router and it came back for a bit before losing sync and the LED going out.

I phoned Sky again and went throught the whole flipping test process again. The router was left in the test socket... Fine for about an hour and... loss of sync and lights out.

The next Sky bod really irritated me. He insisted the line can only support 4meg and could never have been higher. He promptly cut the cap to 4meg and wouldn't listen to the years at 9400 or DLM's own 8000 limit... and the call mysteriously disconnects.

Frustrating, but I was going to suggest a really low cap to prove it wasn't just a bit of line noise. Sure enough I got another loss of sync with these stats. 16db. No slow degradation, just bang - 0kbps.

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38 db 24 db
      Noise Margin 16 db 16 db

The last person I spoke to was incredibly helpful. The call has now been formally escalated - I thought it had been on Friday. Just have to wait 72 hours now!

So, we're in the test socket with new filters, a huge noise margin, no problems reported by 17070, no problems detected by Sky... It does seem to point to the router? I'm not adverse to buying a new one (especially if it's the new N type) but it would be reassuring to know a new router fixed a similar problem for someone.

Thanks for listening!

-David

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Fauty router?

When Sky calls you back, it depends how the line tests. If it's fine and given the router is from about 2008(?), then replacement could be the first thing done. If you had another one just to test with in the meantime whilst waiting for the call-back, then give that a whirl. If it's still dropping sync with another router, then a SFI broadband engineer will be booked.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'll be pushing for a new router. Touch wood it's the source of the problem. If not... well, it will be interesting. I think I'll want to start building up a diary of evidence before letting an engineer anywhere near.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Without trying another router it is not possible to rule out a line problem or even a fault in the exchange card. They have put you on G.DMT but even that cannot rule out a fault other than the router. It would be handy if you had another router to try while Sky get their finger out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've just had a call back from Sky Customer Services. I'm not sure if they were picking up on the number of calls, or filtering things for support, but either way they were very helpful. The call is still going across for investigation, and they've arranged for a replacement router. Sadly it's not one of the new ones, they've no spare stock, but at least it's free.
      Fingers crossed!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I thought I'd post an update - it might be useful if someone is searching similar problems.

It looks like my issue is radio interference. Things went back to normal after the new router went in on the 19th and the profile was manually reset. (Probably sooner - I don't recall problems since the 15th.)

Tonight I had a burst of resyncs before the router stabilized slower than normal - 7611 & 11db. Since then I've been watching the margin periodically drop by 3.5db and recover.

That gave me a chance to run around with the AM radio. There's a louder static-like brrrr every time the margin drops. It seems to be across the range . Last time I tried this I didnít hear anything. I think it was because I only listened at the test socket and normal router location. Both are at the front of the house, and I can only pick up the interference at the rear.

Iíve been round the house and switched things off systematically. Itís not me! Iíll speak with the neighbours, but practically I donít think thereís much Iíll be able to do. Touch wood tonight was worst case and not just quieter noise. It suggests the Sagem is more tolerant than the Netgear, and a lower cap would work this time round. I'll see how things go before speaking to Sky again though.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I had a similar RFI issue; you could trying fitting an iPlate in the Master Socket as it contains an RFI filter, or a 'BT 80B RF3' from RunItDirect.

See this thread for more info:
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...sconnects.html

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that's useful information.

I'll look into getting one if the noise becomes something the new router can't handle. In fact, I might get one anyway for the router end of the extension. The ring wires are all disconnected, so I'm guessing another 40 feet of cable won't matter.

I've also grabbed a copy of RouterStats. Wish I'd found that sooner!