Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sagemcom F@ST2504 N router - pics

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@ST2504 N router - pics within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If it isn't there then, it may be under the covers. I found that I had to remove all the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sagemcom F@ST2504 N router - pics

If it isn't there then, it may be under the covers.

I found that I had to remove all the screws on my new Toshiba Laptop, including some hidden ones. I could the gently prise the covers apart, in order to gain access to the WiFi adaptor under the keyboard.

There was also a couple of screws by the DVD drive. This should be removable once some screws underneath have been removed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (19-08-11)

3. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I would not recommend taking the pcmcia route as usually these cards are longer and will be hanging out from your laptop.

I would recommend replacing your card with an intel 4965agn (or a card of your choice). If I am looking at the right laptop here then your Intel 3945ABG is still very accessible located conveniently under the keyboard.

The disassembly instructions with pictures can be seen here

Just follow steps 1-5 and you will have access to the card located beneath the keyboard. Going by this guide your keyboard is just lift and pull but usually keyboards have at least one screw fixed to them so if you can't push and pull the keyboard off then simply unscrew the screws around the centre of the laptop at the bottom (ram area).

Once you get to the card you will first remove both antennas attached to it (just pull them) and then replace it with your wireless n card.

If you have any problems give me a shout.

This is where your card should be:

Notice in the picture above the card has three antennas. It is a 4965agn. Your card should have two antennas only but toshiba may have left a spare one in there. In case they haven't get a 4965agn with a spare antenna (available on ebay).

The third antenna allegedly helps with the signal and throughput. It is not necessary though. When I got mine I installed the third antenna anyway so I don't know how different throughput would have been if I hadn't. I might take it apart next week and see what it runs like on two antennas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (19-08-11)

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      I would not recommend taking the pcmcia route as usually these cards are longer and will be hanging out from your laptop.

I would recommend replacing your card with an intel 4965agn (or a card of your choice). If I am looking at the right laptop here then your Intel 3945ABG is still very accessible located conveniently under the keyboard.

The disassembly instructions with pictures can be seen here

Just follow steps 1-5 and you will have access to the card located beneath the keyboard. Going by this guide your keyboard is just lift and pull but usually keyboards have at least one screw fixed to them so if you can't push and pull the keyboard off then simply unscrew the screws around the centre of the laptop at the bottom (ram area).

Once you get to the card you will first remove both antennas attached to it (just pull them) and then replace it with your wireless n card.

If you have any problems give me a shout.

This is where your card should be:

Notice in the picture above the card has three antennas. It is a 4965agn. Your card should have two antennas only but toshiba may have left a spare one in there. In case they haven't get a 4965agn with a spare antenna (available on ebay).

The third antenna allegedly helps with the signal and throughput. It is not necessary though. When I got mine I installed the third antenna anyway so I don't know how different throughput would have been if I hadn't. I might take it apart next week and see what it runs like on two antennas.
      Thanks for the help and the very useful guide. That card is just what I was looking for. I found one on Ebay and wondered if you could tell me, if its easy to connect the third antenna (if there isnt one installed already in my laptop) to the laptop/motherboard. I know they attach to the card via a spade type connector, but how do they connect at the other end to the laptop/motherboard?

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate your help

Exchange:
      Thanks

If disassembled the laptop and removed the old wireless card, there was only 2 antennas and theres no third one lying about inside. The wires from the 2 antennas go off in different directions and into the hinge housing.

I was wondering, where I would plug the third antenna into?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

The antenna just needs to be attached to the wifi card.

Mostly in laptops the other end of of the antenna is fixed to a metallic strip towards the top of the laptops display. This may help with performance but is certainly not necessary.

You could just attach the antenna to the card and leave it in the bottom casing or if you want to do things the proper way then take the bezel apart and run it alongside your display towards the top of your laptop.

I personally ran it to the top of the display panel as I had it opened up already because I was also upgrading the webcam to a HD one. If I hadn't taken the bezel apart already I would have definitely left the antenna sitting in the base.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (19-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Having seen how much of a pain the bezel would be to get off, I'm just going to stretch the antenna/antenna cable that comes with the new card, out as much as I can in the bottom of the laptop housing.

Thanks very much for the advice, its much appreciated.

On another note, my new router is supposed to getting delivered today, if it does and if I'm able to do so, I'm planning on taking the cover off and taking some close up pictures of the innards, chipset etc. I thought this might be useful for someone.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've just got the router and set it up (I've taken some pictures of the innards of it and I'll upload later).

One question I have about setting the wireless type to N is:

When I go into the wireless mode where you set the wireless type etc, there is no mention of wireless N, there's only whats shown in the below picture. I was wondering how do you set the router to use Wireless N only?

Just noticed the following in the wireless settings help section on the right handside of the router log in page:

So it would appear the router cannot be used in N only mode, which I find annoying as its wasting resources running on the other modes, I hope Sky release a firmware to allow enabling of only the connection type that your using.
      Last edited by Tal71; 19-08-11 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Add more information

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Not sure, but I rather think they have messed up the firmware. If it is an N router it should have some means of selecting it. These are the settings you would get on an ordinary 2504g.

The only setting there that might put it on N is the Auto one. All you can do is put it on that and see what it gives. Have you got Inssider installed? That should tell you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The only wireless n devices I have at present are the iPad and the iPhone. The laptop is going to be upgraded to wireless n shortly when I replace the wireless card. So at present I'm unable to run insider program as it's on the laptop and laptop is disassembled in preparation for the wireless card to arrive and get fitted.

I've got to admit, I am only getting 2 to 3 on the wifi signal strength indicators lighting up on my iphone, I was getting pretty much the same on my old D-Link before the wifi stopped working on it.

Webpages seem a tad quicker at loading on the iPhone with the new router, than they used to be.

Woodham is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peacehaven
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I just got sky broadband yesterday (didn't know anything about new routers until I found this forum), and looking at the help on the right it seems like you can't set an "N only" mode. (Was the first thing I tried to do after realising it was an N router)
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sagemcom F@ST2504 N router - pics-skyn.jpg  

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast