Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?

This is a discussion on Strange logs and slow Wifi speed? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all I wondered if anyone can answer a few questions please. For a while my lap top speeds have ...

villanuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?

Hello all

I wondered if anyone can answer a few questions please. For a while my lap top speeds have been way down. This morning is was 900 DL and 500 UL. So having a look around of the forums i decided to have a look at my sky logs.

I saw this and not sure what it is, but to say i wasnt online and not sure if its a cause of the problem ( network or router ) and or is it somone else trying or using my network.Over the last month like many, my speeds have dropped and for some reason i lose my wifi connection ( although its 1 meter away ) and i have put it down to "one of those things" but after seeing this i would like your thoughts?

I was on my PS3 last night and gave up as "wired" my download speed was 1.3 meg and just unplayable tbh, so again not sure if this helps?

Mon, 2011-08-08 04:33:19 - Administrator login failure - IP:192.168.0.2
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:33:31 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:30 - LCP down.
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:32 - Initialize LCP.

Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:32 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:34 - CHAP authentication failed
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:35 - LCP down.
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:40 - Initialize LCP.
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:40 - LCP is allowed to come up.
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:34:40 - CHAP authentication success
      Mon, 2011-08-08 04:54:35 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2

Here are some logs which may or may not help, as ive never even got close to 9meg download.. unless wired, I have changed chaneel from 11 to 6 and still no better

System Up Time: 155:46:37

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up TimeWANLANWLAN
      PPPoA 45295 57082 0 1663 7595 02:10:49
      100M/Full 1416279 1286712 0 1670 346 155:46:32
      11M/54M 53257 42942 0 8450 1874 01:48:24

ADSL Link Downstream UpstreamConnection SpeedLine AttenuationNoise Margin
      9853 kbps 604 kbps
      40 db 16 db
      6 db 16 db

Many thanks if you can help

2. Advertisement
      AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Re: Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?

If it wasn't you or anyone else in your house logging in to your router at 0433 this morning someone else was.
      Unless they have managed to sneak an ethernet cable into your router without you noticing they used wireless.

I'm guessing that you use the default SSID (Sky XXXXX) and Network Key for wireless.

Change them immediately.
      Also change your router login password to something else other than 'sky'.

Sky issued a warning several years ago for the DG834GT that from the router MAC address and default SSID it was possible to work out the Network Key (and thus for anyone to access your router).

It looks like they rebooted the router (possibly to obtain another IP address).
      I might speculate that may be because of dodgy downloading.

If someone is stealing your wireless it might explain why you don't have good download speeds (but there are many other reasons).

Andy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJG For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Andy, thank you for the reply..

Well im no techno nut whe it comes to this, so sorry in advance when i ask the folowing stupid questions.

As for logging in, well it just automatic,,ie i open my lap top and i have the net. I did check and im on WEP ( which i belive isnt good?? )

whats the ssid?
      The password im guessing is the key to get on the wireless network?... EDIT changed password for getting into the "admin"

Well we were in bed, so certainly we didnt log. I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, so im hoping this is not the case, albeit i did look at the logs and that was my first thoughts.
      Last edited by villanuk; 08-08-11 at 09:15 PM.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by villanuk View Post
      Well we were in bed, so certainly we didnt log.
      If you are sure no one in your household (sons,daughters,lodgers,grandad or whatever ) was using the internet and logged in to your router at that time you have been hacked.

The default SSID is printed on the underside of the router (along with the Network Key).
      It is the name your router broadcasts so that you can connect to the right one if there is more than one in the area.

You have changed the log in password to the router interface which will stop anyone else accessing it but they can still access your internet connection.

Why are you using WEP?
      From what I understand WEP can now be cracked in about five minutes so you should change to WPA as soon as possible.
      This may not be possible though as some older devices will only work on WEP.

As you are only a metre away from the router why not use a cable and switch the wireless off altogether.
      That way one can steal your internet.

Andy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJG For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJG View Post
      If you are sure no one in your household (sons,daughters,lodgers,grandad or whatever ) was using the internet and logged in to your router at that time you have been hacked.

Hi Andy, do their are only me and my partner live here..This is quite scary tbh !! Is their any other way this could be happening like a line drop or somthing? I just cannot imagine anyone hacking my line where we live and checking all the other "connections" some are not even locked...
      The default SSID is printed on the underside of the router (along with the Network Key).
      It is the name your router broadcasts so that you can connect to the right one if there is more than one in the area. Got it thank you.

You have changed the log in password to the router interface which will stop anyone else accessing it but they can still access your internet connection.

Why are you using WEP?
      From what I understand WEP can now be cracked in about five minutes so you should change to WPA as soon as possible.
      This may not be possible though as some older devices will only work on WEP.

Will be changing it now, but i havnt as you can see played with any on these settings?

As you are only a metre away from the router why not use a cable and switch the wireless off altogether. Well most of time im not, but i did it for a testt tbh
      That way one can steal your internet.

Andy
      Many thanks for your post Andy,

Edit, yup it happened again last night, 5.15 ( admin log in ) is it possible that the line is just dropping??
      I have changed all the wap, and ssid.
      Last edited by villanuk; 09-08-11 at 07:07 AM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Changing the SSID will make no difference, the router will still be broadcasting its MAC address, which is what a hacker would use.

By WAP I take it you mean WPA. Make this at least 10 random characters, with a mixture of lower case, upper case, numbers and punctuation characters like &, !, % etc.

Change the router log in password in the same way.

If you want to go a step further, change the IP address of the router to something like 192.168.75.1 and change the address range accordingly. Add your own PC to the Reserved Devices list, give your PC the same fixed address and switch off the DHCP server. Without knowing the address range it would be difficult to hack into the router. Most leave this at the manufacturers default which makes it that bit easier for a hacker.

Check that your router is set to the correct time.

The most secure wireless is one that is switched off

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi tom, thank you for the reply

I spoke with sky today, and a guy was quite helpfull but didnt really have the knowlage of what was going on although he did say it could well be compromised.

Yes your correct, its WPA and ive changed all passwords. I have changed the wifi to non visable and im currently turning my router off when im not here. At the same time ive got the monthly usage from sky and its around 8 gig a month which im told is quite high ( i dont download films or music but use PS3 20 hours a week ) so im going to monitor this as my router wont be on while im not here.

I have no idea how to change the IP address. I have noticed the router is an hour behind, but again not sure were to change that ( looked on settings )

I have quite an old sky router ( their are new which he told me ) so not sure what can or cannt be changed, but your advice of the IP and PC etc, is beyound my knowlage im tbh

I will re-change my passwords to make them more complex like you mentioned. Once again thank for your input and this forum.

Thanks

I have quite an old sky router
      So have I

With regards the time, click Schedule in the left column and under Time Zone at the bottom tick the box for 'Adjust for daylight savings time'. Click Apply and the time will be corrected. Also make sure your Time Zone is correct.

Come back, if you still have problems and we will take you through changing the IP address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

There is another way that you can use to prevent unauthorised access to your router over the WiFi. Essentially there is a section that allows you to register all the WiFi devices which are allowed to use you router.

Click <Setup Access List> beside the heading 'Wireless Station Access List'

Add any known & safe WiFi devices to the 'Trusted Wireless Stations' list. If they are connected, then this process will be relatively easy as the device name & it's MAC address will be shown under the heading 'Available Wireless Stations'. Just click the radial button beside each one and click <Add>.

For any that are not listed, you will need to locate the WiFi adaptor's MAC address for it. These can then be added manually in the section 'Add New Station Manually'. Here you can also give the device a heading (e.g. villanuk-mobile, villanuk-iphone).

Once completed, click the box beside 'Turn Access Control On' and then click <Apply> at the bottom of the page.

The advantage of this is that only devices which you have approved can then connect via WiFi. The disadvantage is that you can forget this section when you try to connect a new device.

Should you wish to add another device, you can either add it manually or disable it whilst you add the device using the radial button method.

If someone were to try to hack your network via the WiFi after this, then they would need to spoof an accepted WiFi MAC address at the same time. Whilst not impossible, it is something that they may have considerable difficulty with.

Finally, something that I don't think has been asked, but do you use a pair of HomePlugs or PowerLine adaptors?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Thanks

Click <Setup Access List> beside the heading 'Wireless Station Access List'
      The Menu is completely different in the GT Scubbie, the Wireless settings are at the top of the column on the left. It is more like the standard Netgear layout, not the Sky type.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast