Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?

This is a discussion on Strange logs and slow Wifi speed? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; No problem. I would hope that something similar is available with the DG834GT. The headings were taken from the Sagem, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?

No problem.

I would hope that something similar is available with the DG834GT.

The headings were taken from the Sagem, which should be the same for all the other Sky routers, but they do differ from the Netgear DGND3700. For example 'Wireless Station Access List' becomes 'Wireless Card Access List'.

I forgot to mention a final point: Navigate to the page that allows you to 'Backup' the settings. Should the router lose it's set up, then it is the easiest way to restore them.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@ Isitme: Is WPA2 available on the standard sky firmware for the DG834GT?

If yes then setting the encryption to WPA2 along with a long password should suffice considering the OP is not very techy minded.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Like most routers the wireless setup page is the same. This is how the main menu looks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strange logs and slow Wifi speed?-netgear.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Unfortunately the WPA2 encryption is not available on the GT with the Sky firmware. It is available on the Standard Netgear and DGTeam firmware. Sky should have updated to allow this a long time ago. I doubt if it will ever be done now

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

That looks similar to the DGN2000.

villanuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So have I

With regards the time, click Schedule in the left column and under Time Zone at the bottom tick the box for 'Adjust for daylight savings time'. Click Apply and the time will be corrected. Also make sure your Time Zone is correct.

Come back, if you still have problems and we will take you through changing the IP address.
      Thank you for the post, Got the time sorted thank you. Now i havnt done the IP yet, as i have just followed subbie's post.. One tweak at a time..

Exdee, im fine with Pc's ( building them ) Virus'es im really good at them..but i havnt played with BB for many years now, so im so out of date with it all and cant belive how little i know..So i will be reading these forums more often i think, but your right simple is needed for me on this im afraid.

Scubbie, great advise done that and worked..many thanks for that !!. Now homeplugs or powerlines... Well i dont have a homeplug, just plug in the power socket into the mains, and then telephone cable into the router if that makes sence?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by villanuk View Post
      Exdee, im fine with Pc's ( building them ) Virus'es im really good at them..but i havnt played with BB for many years now, so im so out of date with it all and cant belive how little i know..So i will be reading these forums more often i think, but your right simple is needed for me on this im afraid.
      Sadly the nature of this beast means that what works today, may not be suitable tomorrow.

Your armoury needs to be constantly reviewed. Currently I would recommend something like the following:

• a good Anti-Virus package
      • a good firewall package
      • something to scan your emails, not just for viruses, but also for nasty links
      • Anti-Malware software
      • a good mind
      • keep any updates for your O/S and any other software current
      • use the most secure encryption for WiFi that you can

There are threads on this forum that will name favourites that people have.

Quote Originally Posted by villanuk View Post
      Scubbie, great advise done that and worked..many thanks for that !!. Now homeplugs or powerlines... Well i dont have a homeplug, just plug in the power socket into the mains, and then telephone cable into the router if that makes sence?
      No problem with the Wireless Access List. It is something that I started to use some time ago. It does make it considerably harder for someone to hack into a WiFi network, but not impossible. Do remember that should you purchase a new Laptop, for example, you will need to add it to the list of approved devices, otherwise it won't connect over the WiFi, even with the correct password.

If someone were to get caught, then it does mean that a criminal prosecution would be easier to prove as there would be clear intent to breach your security and hack your network. Just using your bandwidth is actually considered theft if you have not given consent, even if you have the Sky Unlimited package.

As for the HomePlugs, if you don't have any, then they do not represent a problem in your instance. Whilst they do use a key system, so that two or more will only communicate with each other, it is possible for them not to be correctly setup in some cases. This can leave them open to accidental intrusions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

villanuk (09-08-11)

Thanks

I think I mentioned before that anyone who is capable of breaking WPA will get past a wireless access list with no problem. If it makes you feel safer then use it, but only in conjunction with real security like WPA.

I think the OP has homeplugs of some kind. Homeplug and Powerline adapters are the same thing using a different standard. The Homeplug Alliance is supported mainly by Devolo, Solwise, ZyXELand others, while the Powerline Association's standard is used by Netgear, D-Link and BT(Comtrend) and others. There is little difference between them except one standard is not compatible with the other, which must be taken into account when expanding a network.

If the signal is 'spilling over' it may be advisable to change the network address. Now that the wireless is secure, if you still find you are getting intrusions, this is probably what is happening. Keep an eye on your log over the next few nights.

TomD

Useful Utilites

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

villanuk (10-08-11)

villanuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for that scubbie. Sorry about the late reply, as i spent last night just loading, installing double checking all my pc,s.. god that was an exciting night

Ive had no weird logs since all the changes and my laptop speed is back to normal and running well and of cause very secure..

So once again thank you very much for all that advise .

Isitme, yes im going to keep an eye on this every day and if i do see that somone is getting in then i will take the advise from scubbie and take this further. Im not going to change my IP yet, just going to see what happens. Sky are aware of whats happened and agree with you guys that somthing was a miss.

Thanks again to all that have helped, i wouldnt have got here without your help, sky bless em fumble around..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12