Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Router needs rebooting

This is a discussion on Router needs rebooting within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Your computer is reporting quite a low signal strength for your WiFi. Were you close to the router at the ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Router needs rebooting

Your computer is reporting quite a low signal strength for your WiFi. Were you close to the router at the time?

Also to find out if there is a better channel, click on the '2.4GHz Channel' tab. It will show you what channels are being used by the other local routers and which, if any, is the clearest.

Also take a look at the time graph to see how strong your router signal is over a period of time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would be inclined to try channel 1 or channel 13. Both are either used or overlapped, but not a s badly as channel 6.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

zubo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You know I started trying not to waste people's time and investigate the tools menu to see if I could find the tool to increase my speed as suggested. None of the tutorials or menus stood out as the one to use and so I stepped through each...

The first one was something to do with adsl and asked me to input my phone number and postcode and the third time I got an invalid phone number message I'm afraid that I gave up.... My exchange is an old one Redditch 01527 and all the phone numbers are 'short' ones like 66666 and even if I pad out to 01527 666666 I still get an error...

So apologies but could anyone point me to the tool I need??

On the other hand I cannot wait until this coming week when I have unfettered access to my system and can experiment (missus at work)... I spotted a thread providing info which is like gold dust .... I have been desperately trying to understand why on earth my PS3 streams videos so poorly and constantly gives me some DNS errors... Yeah... Finally some options to try.....

But do help me with my increase in broadband speed

Many thanks

George

Thanks

The tool mentioned will not improve your speed, it will only estimate what speed you line could support. You will find it here - SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

The one you were trying to use is the Availability checker, which is hopeless for estimating speed, it only give BT information, which is out of date.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

also here is the 2.4ghz usage in jpg
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router needs rebooting-inssider070811-2.jpg  

Thanks

That chart explains a great deal.

Your WiFi channel is identical to a neighbours BT HomeHub which is relatively close. A few other members have complained that a local BT HomeHub is interfering with their router's WiFi.

Initially it looks as though channel 1 would be the most suitable for you to use.

I would also strongly recommend that you change the encryption settings to something other than WEP. Personally I would actually encourage you to change the SSID & password to something different from the standard Sky settings as well.

Sky uses a random set of 8 capital letters on all their routers, which is even easier to crack than WEP. WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK would be much more secure.
      zubo likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

zubo (08-08-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that mate...

I looked at my options - set mode to g&b and noticed that I had channel 13 available so picked that.

Look at the jpg .. there is only one which is a Netgear one I think which spikes upto -20 or is it that spikes down to -20.....

I will look at security - think I changed it when I was trying to setup connecting a hand held PDA a while back before Apple invented iphone ipads... the pda was not good on instructions and I did not really know what I was doing... I just managed to hack a connection.... these days I ask for advice!!

Will the security changes impact on my existing wifi devices - 2 laptops, an ipad, 2 iphones and ps3... I'm guessing each will need reconnecting. My media streamind device connects via cable so think that is ok??

Can you explain what mode means on the router settings... i thought i was being clever by setting it to auto 108 MBs but I have g only and it is now set to g&b

thanks

george
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router needs rebooting-inssider080811.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zubo View Post
      Thanks for that mate...
      Grrr.... {pet hate}

I looked at my options - set mode to g&b and noticed that I had channel 13 available so picked that.
      Good. You should have all the channels from 1 to 13 available though. Have you installed any custom firmware on your router?

Could you confirm which model it is that you have too please?

Look at the jpg .. there is only one which is a Netgear one I think which spikes upto -20 or is it that spikes down to -20.....
      That's kind of strange. It looks like someone has installed a custom aerial or something else non-standard is happening.

I will look at security - think I changed it when I was trying to setup connecting a hand held PDA a while back before Apple invented iphone ipads... the pda was not good on instructions and I did not really know what I was doing... I just managed to hack a connection.... these days I ask for advice!!

Will the security changes impact on my existing wifi devices - 2 laptops, an ipad, 2 iphones and ps3... I'm guessing each will need reconnecting. My media streamind device connects via cable so think that is ok??
      Yes it will and yes they will need to be re-connected to the router. If you don't change the SSID, you will need to delete the SSID from their memory as the change in the security settings will confuse them.

Personally I would suggest changing the SSID & security settings (including the password) to something more personal. Don't use your family name or home address in the SSID though. People would know whose router it was and you might be targeted.

Can you explain what mode means on the router settings... i thought i was being clever by setting it to auto 108 MBs but I have g only and it is now set to g&b
      I didn't think any standard Sky router supported 108Mb over WiFi.

WiFi g & n are the most common standards now. If you have an old WiFi device that only supports WiFi b, then you will need this option, but in fairness it will be old.

WiFi b supports up to 11Mbps
      WiFi g supports up to 54Mbps
      WiFi n supports a maximum connection speed of between 150Mbps-300Mbps, depending on the adaptor.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote:
      Originally Posted by zubo View Post
      Thanks for that mate...
      Grrr.... {pet hate}
      Sorry Scubbie.... it is a term of endearment I only bestow to people I do like... I will refrain ...(my missus tells me off when I talk to girls and say stuff like... thanks luv)

anyway I digress..

I've been with Sky a very long time and as I recall this has been the only router I have ever had from them... it is a Netgear DG834GT and on the web page I am administrating on it says on the logo 108MBPs 2.4GHz 802.11 and has a g on the logo.

to answer your other question - it did give me the full range of channels 1-13 to pick from once I selected g & b mode

and yes the admin settings offers me three modes g&b, g only and Auto 108...
      however the first two modes allows me a choice of channels but Auto 108 will always reset back to Channel 6 and not allow you to change... maybe channel 6 is best for 108MBs ???

So will follow your advice as soon as I have resolved my poor PS3 streaming issues.... on the community updates thread....

george
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

This is available on the original Netgear router, DG834GT, but it requires a compatible adapter to get the 108mbps out of it. When using this, the router channel is always set to Auto and in my personal experience, this always chooses channel 6. It was recommended years ago that unless you had compatible adapters, you should set it to g&b, or if you have no old equipment running at 11mbps, set it to 'g only'. This allows you to use any channel from 1 to 13.

You might want to try using James firmware, this allows you to use settings not available on the standard Sky firmware, including the ability to tweak the noise margin. It is essentially Sky firmware and will show as such when queried by the Sky servers. I have been using it since James released it, several years ago. You only need the Flash image, not the Source Code and it can be applied using the built in updater on the router, you will find it here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...34gt-2.html#58

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast