Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky's new Wireless 'N' Router...

This is a discussion on Sky's new Wireless 'N' Router... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; FYI I am due to be activated on Friday and received a D-Link DSL-2640s, which was upsetting...called and was advised ...

gregnbaker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Iselworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky's new Wireless 'N' Router...

FYI I am due to be activated on Friday and received a D-Link DSL-2640s, which was upsetting...called and was advised to ring back after activation and tell them it wasn't working!

2. Advertisement
      maceyface is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Just stumbled upon this forum purely for the fact I have just come off the phone to Sky. I wanted to switch my broadband and landline to Sky to take advantage of Anytime+. Sky have confirmed that I be getting the new N router before my 17th of August activation. I didn’t actually have any knowledge of this new N router at the time when I called them. Hopefully it will have Gigabit? Will keep you updated to the model and spec when I receive it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maceyface View Post
      Just stumbled upon this forum purely for the fact I have just come off the phone to Sky. I wanted to switch my broadband and landline to Sky to take advantage of Anytime+. Sky have confirmed that I be getting the new N router before my 17th of August activation. I didn’t actually have any knowledge of this new N router at the time when I called them. Hopefully it will have Gigabit? Will keep you updated to the model and spec when I receive it.
      Hi maceyface, from my conversations with Sky on this issue, they will not start fully shipping the new routers until 15th August so take what they have told you with a pinch of salt! Fingers crossed you do get it though...

Exchange:
      Thanks

All I can said is I double checked with him that it would be N router as I was under in impression it was going to be G. He was adamant it was going to be the N router. I’ll keep this thread updated. I've got to say, he did seem to know his stuff?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maceyface For This Useful Post:

gregnbaker (03-08-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

A few new customers received the router during July.

Information is thin on the ground at present.

Annoying as it might be to everyone, personally I am hoping that if there are any issues coming out, that Sky will be wise this time and fix them before any further samples are distributed.

For anyone new who does know what I am referring to, the last new router from Sky was the Sagem F@ST 2304n. Essentially this router had a lot of problems with the firmware.

Although patched up now, the User interface is the slowest I have seen in a router.

The problems started to appear soon after it's release in Feb 2011 until June 2011. A lot of people were affected as Sky promptly ran out of stock before it was realised where the problem came from and from there how to go about fixing it.

I believe that Sky lost a lot of customer during this period due to the problems and the fact that their customer services were bogged down with calls.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

gregnbaker (03-08-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the further update Scubbie; given the stories about the Sagem I can understand why Sky are trialling the Sagem n-band first and otherwise giving out the D-Link.
      In any case, I can make do with the D-Link to obtain the initial exchange details, allow DLW to run etc and then move over to either my Vigor 120 and own router, or splash out on the correct Billion router!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've got the email address of the guy who I dealt with. We got cut off during the order so he emailed me asking for my contact number to complete the order. I've just emailed him to ask the question. I'll let you know what he says. That's if he hasn't finished for the day?

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am hoping that the new router will allow me and GF the chance to use the UMA service on our Blackberry's that the current D Link modem does not allow which is very annoying as when with Virgin previous worked fine then moved to Sky and it stopped working called Tech support who said sorry doesnt work on that modem

ccsnet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sb742 View Post
      In terms of features, the new router is (1) wireless N; (2) supporting VDSL for future-proofing ahead of future fiber adoption; (3) WPS button/support.

I was also told that the number of allowed simultaneous wireless connections to the router will be greater than as was the case with the current Sky router (although this may just be a feature of the IEEE 802.11n standard, I do not know)

New customers will get it on new orders, existing customers get it for 35. Contrary to what I have read on forums elsewhere, existing customers who have signed up in the last 12 months and are in warranty on their current equipment WILL still have to pay.
      Thanks for the feed back.... I had a good idea of the hardware side its more a question of is there extra functionality in the firmware for firewalling / control ( especially as a parent ) or is it still pretty basic ?

T

realj42 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky's new Wireless 'N' Router... its Here!

Hi - I just realized I have received a new Wireless N router (came last week but I have been on holiday) model is a Sagem F@ST2504n. It has no external indications that it is an N router, no aerials even, but I have just compared signal coverage to my current NetGear DG2000n, and it is at least as good around my large edwardian house.

I dont really have any full N client devices, but my Dell laptop connects at 144Mbs (its max) and my TP Link 150N dongle connects at 65 Mbs (its max) and I managed to get 20Mbs througput on a file copy between two PCs, over a link at about 30 ft distance from router, through two floors.

Sound.

I can't give any DSL or internet stats yet as I am not activated to Sky UL BB yet - no date but my phone line switches tomorrow, so probably will get one then. In the meantime feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)