Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

SKY Router frustrations

This is a discussion on SKY Router frustrations within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My old White Netgear DG834GT is on it's way out, it started at the beginning of the year with loosing ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

SKY Router frustrations

My old White Netgear DG834GT is on it's way out, it started at the beginning of the year with loosing connection and it's internal settings (LAN IP setup, ports etc).
      I phone SKY about it, after a lengthy conversation guy says he can't help as I restarted it and it's working , I explain it's definitely not well and can I get a new router, he says he will ring back but never did.
      I've had more disconnection's this week so I call again this time with the router not working, Well I just spent the last 1hour and 30 mins on the phone to SKY!!! the first 30 mins was getting through, on hold for 15 mins, spoke to some who passed me to some one else another hold for 15 mins then I got disconnected!
      So I ring back, another 10 min wait and sen the last 49 mins (it s says on my phone last call length) trying to explain my router is faulty. I'm an electrical engineer so I understand these thing's pretty well. I get the " it could be your wireless" I explain everything is hard wired by ethernet. "It could be the power socket", I explain over and over it's the ROUTER!! The router has actually gone yellow from it getting hot, and I've had it over 10 years! can I please get a new one, he tests the line talks to other advisors, and finally says he will upgrade it to technical help...they will call back and test the socket filters etc..

Jeeeez...
      I am going to get a new router myself but I am concerned about not having a working SKY router in case something does go wrong with the line..

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: SKY Router frustrations

You are supposed to switch the router off and then ring Sky complaining your broadband is not working and your router is not flashing any lights.

Unfortunately that has become the 'procedure' for getting a router replacement. Otherwise they just don't buy it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I am concerned about not having a working SKY router in case something does go wrong with the line..
      Just hold on to the GT, if you have a line problem plug it in. They will probably then say that it is the router and send you a new one
      Giskard likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have a similar problem with my D-Link router, it normally works again after i reboot it a few times but before with the Netgear i never had to do it. If i ring them up and say its only flashing 1 light will i have to pay postage to return the D-Link router?

Also, what router would they send to me? the same or there latest greatest router

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

OP, just suggest that there is smoke coming from it and that it's a fire hazard. A replacement will be sent out.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Is there any benefit for holding out until 1st august when Sky launches it's new WiFi n router?

It's 12 days away.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

From the little we know, it seems these will only be given out free to new customers or at a charge to existing ones. I don't know about you, but I would be reluctant to pay 35 for an unproven router when I could buy a proven one for the same money. Just about every new router Sky has released has been plagued with teething troubles. It took them a long time to sort out the firmware for the original router, which was, and still is an excellent router. The last one was no different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Let's not discuss the issues with the last router please...the nightmares, the nightmares

I posed the question for people to comment on since it is known that the new router is due for release soon. Since the OP has the original router, someone at sky may look and replace it FOC with the new one.

As for paying 35 for it, well I did get myself another router recently for 135 instead.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Since the OP has the original router, someone at sky may look and replace it FOC with the new one.
      Surely that would be the the case, that a faulty router should be replaced FOC?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      Surely that would be the the case, that a faulty router should be replaced FOC?
      It depends on who answers the phone. If the router is out of warranty, like this will be, then they can charge 28 for the replacement router.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast