Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Draytek Vigor28020n won't authenticate ??

This is a discussion on Draytek Vigor28020n won't authenticate ?? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Really need some help guys !! Like most people, I'm not prepared to suffer the inadequate Sagem router that SKY ...

ijtaylor05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chestfield & Swalecliffe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1GB
      Thanks

Draytek Vigor28020n won't authenticate ??

Really need some help guys !! Like most people, I'm not prepared to suffer the inadequate Sagem router that SKY are forcing on us and urgently need my Draytek Vigor 2820n (mainly for the aerial extension that feeds the house next door). I don't consider myself stupid & have 18yrs of IT experience but am failing badly getting this to connect. I've extracted the username (12 characters@skydsl) and the 15 character password generated from the MAC address & default password etc. I'm sure all the settings are correct, 0/30, PAP & CHAP, IDLE TIME 0, WANIP FROM PROVIDER ETC. I've tried it on ADSL2, ADSL2+ and multi modulation. The Draytek recognises the ADSL line fine but refuses to authenticate with "incorrect username/password". Its gettting as far as authenticating for certain. Is it possible this SKY tool for generating the password no longer works ?? Could SKY have changed the firmware on the latest routers so its now generating an incorrect username ? If anybody has any advice or tips on getting a Vigor 2820n to work with SKY, I will be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL !!!! Thanks all.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Draytek Vigor28020n won't authenticate ??

0/30
      This should be 0/38

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry mistype !! Did mean 38

Thanks

Try obtaining your username and password again, I doubt if Sky have stopped it working. This time copy an paste the LAN MAC address from the router status page to the password generator and from there to a Text doc, then to your router. Most find that when they can't get the password to work they have typed it wrongly. The default key is all capital letters, no numbers so there is little room for a mistake there.

You are set to PPPoA and not PPPoE? Some have also had problems when their line has been changed from PPPoA to MER. Has yours been changed?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

ijtaylor05 (17-07-11)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice mate. I'm happy to say the draytek is now working, fantastic !!
      I've gotta give u full credit for this, you put LAN in bold and hit the nail on the head.....I'd been copying the adsl MAC by mistake, 1 number difference but obviously generated a totally different ID and hey presto !! Thanks again, much appreciated.

Thanks

Hah, spoke too soon !!! It is working on PPPOA but a quick check on the Sagem router revealed that we have in fact gone over to MER. So whilst its working and the line speed shows as okay, the actual bandwidth has dropped to just over 1.5mb down (from 11mb down on MER). If I read it right, the Vigor 2820 WILL support MER, I have to just spoof the WAN MAC, use VCI 40 and LLC/SNAP and NOT enter any password/username ?? Then apparently MER will detect the vigor as the sky router. Damn SKY...

Thanks

I would leave it on PPPoA for a while and see if the speed trains up. If it connects with that there is no reason why the speed should be lower.

If you do succeed in connecting with MER, could you report back as no one has managed to do this at present.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Apparently if SKY switch your connection to MER, then any attempts at connecting via PPPOA will result in a diminished service (ie they are purposely reducing speed to stop you doing this if u can believe that !!). Left it most of the day but no change, line speed shows as being ADSL2 11mb down 1.5mb up but actual speed obtained was only 1.5 down and 200k up !! Soon as I reconnected the SAGEM router using MER then back 2 normal. For now, I'm using the Sagem as a dumb modem, everything disabled then using the Draytek with DHCP configured to use the sagem as gateway. Its messy and not ideal, but at least I've got the speed and still got the functionality of the Draytek (specifically the excellent range of the WiFi compared to the Sagem). I think unless anybody cracks MER, this is the answer for now. I read a post about somebody who claims to have got it working, using MAC spoofing, disabling PPPOA and enabling MPOA but nothing I do seems to work here ??

Thanks again for the advice 2day.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ijtaylor05 View Post
      Apparently if SKY switch your connection to MER, then any attempts at connecting via PPPOA will result in a diminished service
      I'll try and put this politely: Bull!

I have no idea who told you that, but I would guess that they were trying to dissuade you from using your own router.

See my stats below. They are practically identical to what I had when I was using the Sagem 2304n last month. The only significant difference is my Line Attenuation was 17dB, which can be explained by the difference in routers.

I'm currently using a Netgear DGND3700 and did consider the Dratek Vigor 2820n at one point.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I'll try and put this politely: Bull!
      I would agree. If you are not getting the full throughput, then something else is wrong wwith your settings. You mention ADSL2, did you mean ADSL2+? If not set the D'tek to ADSL2+ only.

Some found that they had to spoof the MAC address of the Sky router, but I don't know if this was really necessary. If you want to try it, choose that your ISP does not require a login, PPPoE, and copy and paste in your routers WAN MAC address. Save the setting then go back to My ISP requires a Login, and check that the details for Sky are correct.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast