Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

DG834GT Modem only mode?

This is a discussion on DG834GT Modem only mode? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme My ignorance! I find it unbelievable that anyone should state that turning off the wireless turns ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT Modem only mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      My ignorance! I find it unbelievable that anyone should state that turning off the wireless turns a router into a modem. The OP asked how to get the router into modem mode, not how to piggy-back on to it. Full instructions on how to do this are here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html I will say no more on this, I just hope anyone reading this post does not believe what you are stating.
      Looks like I am going to have to break this down for you.

I said that that disabling wifi on the router turns it into a modem to go in line with what the OP wanted. His definition of 'modem mode' includes the modem handling the following:

Quote Originally Posted by thedon_1 View Post
      But are there not any other things that the modem does such as routing, handling ports etc?
      Now I could give him a long lecture on how conceptually this was wrong. Or I could just ignore it and play along and that's exactly what I chose to do.

And there is no such thing as the recovery utility failing on Windows Vista and 7. It all comes down to your LAN card. Either you have one that is compatible or either you don't. (The utility wont work even on XP if you don't have a compatible card)

2. Advertisement
      thedon_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT Modem only mode?

Ok guys, so I got a Windows XP machine and managed to put the DGTeam firware on the router. I set it into modem mode and then turn on the time capsule which is connected to the netgear router via the WAN port.

I can't seem to get the time capsule to access the internet. It creates a wireless network which I can connect to but I just can't get the net working.

Any idea what settings I should be using? I've tried a couple of combinations and none have worked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123