Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DG834GT Modem only mode?

This is a discussion on DG834GT Modem only mode? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Every router with LAN ports turns into a Modem if you disable the wireless. Sorry, you are wrong again. That ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: DG834GT Modem only mode?

Every router with LAN ports turns into a Modem if you disable the wireless.
      Sorry, you are wrong again. That has nothing to do with it. To use a router as a modem the firewall and routing has to be bypassed, turning off the wireless does not do that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I don't know whether it's your ignorance or your intolerance but nevertheless I find it amusing..

If you are confused about why I've written this you should go back and read my previous post.

thedon_1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is a firmware option, I have it on one of mine running DGTeam, I can't remember if it was available on the standard Netgear firmware. I doubt it.

The Sky firmware will not allow it.
      I'm thinking of putting DGteam firmware on the router. It seems easy enough through the web interface. When I got sky broadband a couple of years ago they accidentally sent me 2 routers so I have a backup.

2 questions. If I upgrade the firmware, do things that are pre loaded such as my username password cleared? Do I need to extract my details first?

I can't really see anything on their site about restoring firware to what it was originally. Do you have any info on this?

Thanks

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I downloaded the DG834GT DGteam firware. I tried all 3 of the english language .img files and they all got the same error.

Upgrade file is not the correct type or version for this device.

Upgrade failed.

Please obtain the correct file and try again.

I'm using a netgear DG834GT formware version V1.03.87 (CU3.04).

Why can't I upgrade? What if I upgrade to the official Netgear 1.03.23 firmware, would I then just be able to use the link in the first post to change the setting to modem on the page sky's firmware has blocked?

Thanks

You can't just upgrade it to the DG Team firmware via the router web config.
      You need to use the Netgear recovery utility which can be found here: DG834 Router Recovery Utility

Download the firmware. DG Team is here: DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026
      Official Netgear will be on the official site.

Once you have downloaded the firmware. Put it into the same folder as the Utility.

Now turn off your router. Using a pin press and hold the reset button while plugging the power in again. If done correctly the router will go into recover mode and you will see alternating lights flashing rapidly. (amber and green)

Run the recovery utility now and follow directions to flash the router. (Make sure you run it as administrator and in compatibility mode for xp (if you are using vista or windows seven))

You need to be connected via ethernet to flash the router.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      You can't just upgrade it to the DG Team firmware via the router web config.
      You need to use the Netgear recovery utility which can be found here: DG834 Router Recovery Utility

Download the firmware. DG Team is here: DG834GT_V1.03.22_DGTeam_1018_eng_adsldrv026
      Official Netgear will be on the official site.

Once you have downloaded the firmware. Put it into the same folder as the Utility.

Now turn off your router. Using a pin press and hold the reset button while plugging the power in again. If done correctly the router will go into recover mode and you will see alternating lights flashing rapidly. (amber and green)

Run the recovery utility now and follow directions to flash the router. (Make sure you run it as administrator and in compatibility mode for xp (if you are using vista or windows seven))

You need to be connected via ethernet to flash the router.
      I have a mac so I can't use the recovery tool. Do you think it would be ok if I use a parralells version of Windows 7 and use the recovery tool within that?

Also, would getting the firmware released by Netgear (not sky) and updating that via the web utility work? I'm guessing that would unlock the config page to turn it into a modem but i'm not sure if that would be any easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedon_1 View Post
      I have a mac so I can't use the recovery tool. Do you think it would be ok if I use a parralells version of Windows 7 and use the recovery tool within that?
      Certainly worth a shot. I cant give you a definite answer as I have never tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon_1 View Post
      Also, would getting the firmware released by Netgear (not sky) and updating that via the web utility work? I'm guessing that would unlock the config page to turn it into a modem but i'm not sure if that would be any easier.
      No mate, you can't update to a non-sky firmware via the web-utility. The router just wont accept it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      I don't know whether it's your ignorance or your intolerance but nevertheless I find it amusing..

If you are confused about why I've written this you should go back and read my previous post.
      My ignorance! I find it unbelievable that anyone should state that turning off the wireless turns a router into a modem. The OP asked how to get the router into modem mode, not how to piggy-back on to it. Full instructions on how to do this are here http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html I will say no more on this, I just hope anyone reading this post does not believe what you are stating.

Full instructions on flashing the DG834GT can be found here - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...-password.html Using Vista or Win 7 to do this is not recommended. You are liable to just fail at best and brick the router at worst. Even with XP it is recommended that you have 2 adapters installed. The Microsoft Loopback Driver serves this purpose. How to install the Microsoft Loopback adapter in Windows XP

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, so Windows 7 isn't reccomended. Is it ok using XP compatibility mode to run the program or still not?

Thanks

Some claim to have got it to work using Run as Administrator, and running both exe in XP compatibility mode. I have not done this myself and several have failed. It is really time the utilities were upgraded to run with Win 7, XP is now several years out of date.

I meant to add, it is also advisable to disable any AV or firewalls in use as these can sometimes cause a problem, also do not be connected to the internet when trying to flash the router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast