Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New router advice

This is a discussion on New router advice within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My Netgear DG834GT lost it's setting again today, I phoned Sky and told them it keeps loosing connection, loosing it's ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New router advice

My Netgear DG834GT lost it's setting again today, I phoned Sky and told them it keeps loosing connection, loosing it's internal settings, can I get a replacement before it stops working, they said well I can't test it if it's still working but will ask and ring me back.
      I had advice from Scubbie and Exdee before on this forum on my exchange as I am connecting to Easynet DSLAMs, am I better off with a Conexant chipset.
      But the Billion BIPAC 7402NX router recommended is hard to find in stock anywhere, and am I buying a router that is old ?
      So I was wondering 2 things, will my exchange be upgraded at some point as this Easynet seems quite old?
      The other is what about buying a popular modern router like the DGND3700 that I have seen a few people talking about here?
      Currently I get
      Connection Speed 12963 kbps 870 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.0 db 20.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 7.0 db
      but it has been as high as 13500, I have no extensions.
      I have also been wondering about trying this custom DGTeam Firmware I've seen posted, but to be honest I have a few "N" devices now so it would be really nice to get something really fast and up to date.

Sorry for the waffle but really appreciate any help..

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: New router advice

If your current router is failing, the ensure that you have extracted the log in details and recorded them in a notepad file for posterity.

By all means get the Billion BIPAC 7402NX if you wish to get a matched chipset. There will be one available somewhere.

I am liking the Netgear DGND3700 more and more, but it is a new router and the current bugs are to be expected. I have contacted Netgear today with an updated list of issues and am now waiting for their response.

From what I have read on the Netgear forum, some of the issues have previously been documented. Apparently the latest firmware number is up to 15 in testing. 12 is the latest release number.

As I have tried to say elsewhere from time to time, the main thing is to decide what you wish to do with the router and to look at things from there.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New router advice

The Billion 7402NX is a bit short in the UK market at the moment. It's expected to be in stock in August.

I've been looking around for one myself and only these guys have it in stock at the moment. [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-7402NX-Wireless-Firewall-Router/dp/B001RUIMGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310385262&sr=8-1]Billion BiPac 7402NX[/ame]

The same company has a shop on Ebay too. It has got good feedback there. I've ordered one myself and am waiting for it.

Like Scubbie said the decision is yours. It's what you want.