Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

2304n: longest WAN uptime record?

This is a discussion on 2304n: longest WAN uptime record? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Might be a bit of a naff question, but curious....

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

2304n: longest WAN uptime record?

Might be a bit of a naff question, but curious.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: 2304n: longest WAN uptime record?

Before I finally got myself my new Netgear, the Sagem was up for around 300 hours. There was a national drop in the BB which caused mine to reset a few weeks ago.

I'll continue to watch the Sagem 2304n threads though. Hopefully many of the issues will now fall in line with the other Sky routers.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Giskard (03-07-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, looking through my screen-captures. my best over the 27 days since moving from O2 to Sky is 60 hours

I know it's early days for me but .........

As has been pointed out to me, O2 use lower target noise margins - but dropouts were pretty few and far between. With Sky - and the more conservative margins - dropouts must be more than I ever had in 3 years with O2. My Sky connection seems pretty random.

Sometimes I need to re-boot to either 'wake' the WAN up when router initialises but minus WAN. Or, (like this morning), I was at 4meg/400k - re-booted and back up to just under 17meg/1.1meg.

Just to recap:
      Nothing has changed my end in terms of wiring. Actually, I'm even straight into the test socket (master is the only BT point in the house) for the last week or two.

SVBN

Binned the Sky (LEA) filters as suspect but even having used other filters, my impression is that either there may be an ISAM problem or the router is a bit of a nut-job. I reckon it's the latter

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      Well, looking through my screen-captures. my best over the 27 days since moving from O2 to Sky is 60 hours
      I would be inclined to check the line first, provided that you have the latest firmware. If you have a suitable non-Sky router, you could extract the log in details from the Sagem & set it up to access the Internet.

As has been pointed out to me, O2 use lower target noise margins - but dropouts were pretty few and far between. With Sky - and the more conservative margins - dropouts must be more than I ever had in 3 years with O2. My Sky connection seems pretty random.
      Just in case, have you been able to trace your telephone line from your home to the nearest green street box? Check that there are no trees near to the line & possibly blowing in the wind.

Sometimes I need to re-boot to either 'wake' the WAN up when router initialises but minus WAN. Or, (like this morning), I was at 4meg/400k - re-booted and back up to just under 17meg/1.1meg.
      Again, this would indicate a line problem or dodgy torrent connections (some public torrents suffer from large companies attacking your connection).

Just to recap:
      Nothing has changed my end in terms of wiring. Actually, I'm even straight into the test socket (master is the only BT point in the house) for the last week or two.
      Actually this varies. In some cases the BTO engineer may redo all the connections between the exchange and your home.

In either case, if you are moving from O2 LLU equipment to Sky LLU equipment, then you will now be using different wiring in the exchange and a socket on a different set of equipment as well.

SVBN

Binned the Sky (LEA) filters as suspect but even having used other filters, my impression is that either there may be an ISAM problem or the router is a bit of a nut-job. I reckon it's the latter
      A filtered faceplate is really the best option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Scubbie likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Is that with the 2304n, your Profile lists the 2504?

Interesting you don't use wireless, I think that adds to the stability as the wireless creates more heat, therefore more strain on the router.

I have regular powercuts so could never build up a long uptime.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Is that with the 2304n, your Profile lists the 2504?

Interesting you don't use wireless, I think that adds to the stability as the wireless creates more heat, therefore more strain on the router.

I have regular powercuts so could never build up a long uptime.
      Ah, missed that bit. Wasn't entirely sure what the point of this thread was. Just thought it was one of those bragging threads.

I use the Sagem router as the Modem, wireless is handled by a Netgear N+ router. Ignore my post. Think I've posted in the wrong place with some unrelated uptime of 5 months. Sorry.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your time. I will later come back to the points you have made but I am trying to gather all my notes and enter all my saved stats into a s/sheet to try and reveal any possible patterns. Maintaining a detailed log is looking like an essential thing

For now though, an ideas on my latest development?:
      Link dropping every couple of minutes (over a 40 min span) before I went to bed last night. Checked this morning and WAN back up somewhere around two in the morning and lower speed/higher margin and............PPPoA!

Why PPPoA when I have been on MER since going live just about a month ago?
      Would prefer PPPoA (alternative router option), but don't understand the switch.

Unrelated to this, but I guess I can ignore Sky Portal info as bogus when it reports that my line tesding finished on 24/06/11 and speed set to 4096/512k? Not really important, as I am not set at that - but I am really struggling to find some sort of consistency since moving to this setup with SKY. Do not relish the prospect of another call to Sky, again, because of the inconsistent information which I have had so far Guess if I do contact them it might be better via email rather than phone?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would be inclined to check the line first, provided that you have the latest firmware. If you have a suitable non-Sky router, you could extract the log in details from the Sagem & set it up to access the Internet.
      Extracted my details early on but having returned the O2 router all I have here is a Netgear WGR614v9 given to me by a Virgin customer who recieved two routers. I hadn't messed with it because of my being on MER.

Just in case, have you been able to trace your telephone line from your home to the nearest green street box? Check that there are no trees near to the line & possibly blowing in the wind.
      BT cable is underground.

Again, this would indicate a line problem or dodgy torrent connections (some public torrents suffer from large companies attacking your connection).
      Sorry, The difference in speeds were between computer shutdown in the evening and start up in the morning. Don't use torrents. Oh, one time after router came back up it was stuck at WAN init stage (MER/PPPoA) - ADSL link stats were alive, but zero's across the WAN field. Waited for about 25 mins then I forced reboot myself when it then came back as normal.

A filtered faceplate is really the best option.
      On my to-do list.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The WGR614v9 is not an ADSL router so you will not be able to connect it direct to the Internet. You can connect it to your Sky router, but as it is only wireless G the performance may be no better than your Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast