Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

2304n: longest WAN uptime record?

This is a discussion on 2304n: longest WAN uptime record? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by Isitme The WGR614v9 is not an ADSL router so you will not be able to connect it ...

Giskard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: 2304n: longest WAN uptime record?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The WGR614v9 is not an ADSL router so you will not be able to connect it direct to the Internet. You can connect it to your Sky router, but as it is only wireless G the performance may be no better than your Sky router.
      Thanks. It's cable then. Did wonder.

Edit:
      Allow me to correct myself: I was wrong to say cable as it's simply a router, rather than a modem/router.
      Last edited by Giskard; 06-07-11 at 01:56 PM. Reason: I am an idiot

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      For now though, an ideas on my latest development?:
      Link dropping every couple of minutes (over a 40 min span) before I went to bed last night. Checked this morning and WAN back up somewhere around two in the morning and lower speed/higher margin and............PPPoA!

Why PPPoA when I have been on MER since going live just about a month ago?
      Would prefer PPPoA (alternative router option), but don't understand the switch.
      Erm, sorry about this but re-reading my above comments, I see that I did not explain things very well (one of my faults, I'm afraid).

Would prefer to be on PPPoA (which allows for the use of an alternative router option), but don't understand the reason why I have been switched from one encapsulation method (MER) to another (PPPoA)

Again, I'm sorry for my awkwardness in communication - it's pretty cringeworthy

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It seems that both PPPoA & MER are available on some lines with Sky at present.

In the past I have noticed that the Sagem 2304n initially connects using PPPoA, then attempts to connect using MER.

It may well be that something has occurred to prevent the router from connecting using MER.

At this stage I wouldn't see this as a serious problem. However, it a power fault has caused a component to fail, then the rest of the router could fail in due course.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It seems that both PPPoA & MER are available on some lines with Sky at present.

In the past I have noticed that the Sagem 2304n initially connects using PPPoA, then attempts to connect using MER.
      Yes, mine (prior to this event) would initialise as PPPoA/MER, then to MER proper once established.

It may well be that something has occurred to prevent the router from connecting using MER.
      Ooerrr

At this stage I wouldn't see this as a serious problem. However, it a power fault has caused a component to fail, then the rest of the router could fail in due course.
      So, you reckon it's more likely to be the router rather than an issue at the exchange, or systems/someone having to override MER in this case, for some reason?

If this could be an indication of router though, should I not think about having a word with Sky?

Have to say that since the switch to PPPoA, things seem pretty stable.

Thanks for your continued help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
      Have to say that since the switch to PPPoA, things seem pretty stable.
      This being the case, could I recommend that you keep an eye on things.

Since you are connected and things seem to be more stable, why try to 'fix it'?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

This being the case, could I recommend that you keep an eye on things.
      Will update here accordingly.

Since you are connected and things seem to be more stable, why try to 'fix it'?
      Yes, I would much prefer it to stay as PPPoA - just curious as to what was behind the change. I really don't want to talk to Sky unless I am forced to.

When the link came back as PPPoA I had lost over 3meg sync down to 13640, with an associated rise in margin up to 12.4db from around 7db.

I am coming up to 31.5hrs WAN. Even though my sync is lower, I'm going to wait to see if I can get past my best uptime of 66 hrs with the current configuration. Maybe it's clutching at straws but perhaps the switch to PPPoA might introduce a re-training period (?) whereby the sync could potentialy rise from this rate. Wishful thinking, but it would save me from the challenges of trying to make contact with a member of the Sky inner sanctum.

Oh, btw, 'Those who must not be approached' would probably be easier to track down if they were actually within some Himalayan mountainside. Though I have heard accounts of a few Ascended Masters that choose to dwell among us.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, nearly 63hrs WAN uptime under PPPoA and apart from the drop in sync, the connection has been solid, with negligible margin fluctuation.

So, was wondering two things:

1. Could the MER implementation be a bit flaky?

2. Regarding the drop in sync, could a re-boot be worth a shot to see if the re-negotiation would result in a sync back up to around where it was before it changed over to PPPoA? Thought this could be worth a try before resorting to contacting Sky.

Bit hesitant to re-boot in case it reverts to MER. More hesitant to speak to Sky because of the 1st-line support 'Zen' riddles like "Why do you want the extra speed?"

Thanks

I have an MER connection where I live, when I have the Sagem 2304n connected. My stats below were taken with this setup. It was connected and stayed up for 500+ hours.

I currently have a Netgear DGND3700 connected using PPPoA. It's providing me with identical connection speeds.

Whilst the up time on the Netgear isn't as high, this is purely because I've been playing with it. Changing the WiFi details causes the router to reboot. I've also got a large capacity external drive that is also causing it to reset.

Otherwise the router has been connected and on-line for the whole of this month without any issues.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply Scubbie.

Looking at my router config file, apart from now showing PPPoA it shows a different fast2304.skyfirmware.com version than when on MER.

Thanks

Could you post the firmware version that you now have on the router please?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast