Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changed name of connection - now can't access router settings!

This is a discussion on Changed name of connection - now can't access router settings! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello! First off - had a search of the site and I can find many similar problems but not this ...

IndieSinger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changed name of connection - now can't access router settings!

Hello!

First off - had a search of the site and I can find many similar problems but not this identical one. Sorry if it is a repeat!

I accessed the router settings by going to http://192.168.0.1 and typing in the username and password. I changed a few things (changed "54g auto" to "54g performance") and sped up my Internet - great!

However, I also changed the name of the connection from Sky###### to my surname so it was easier to spot in lists of things to connect to.

And now I just can't access the router settings any more The Internet works with no problems, but the router page won't load. Any advice?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Changed name of connection - now can't access router settings!

Try accessing it with a different browser. Using your own name as the SSID is not a very good idea, not is putting your email address in an open forum. I would remove it if I were you.

If thatl fails, use the reset button on the back of the router to return it to default settings. Push a pin in it and hold it till the lights flash.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IndieSinger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Try accessing it with a different browser. Using your own name as the SSID is not a very good idea, not is putting your email address in an open forum. I would remove it if I were you.

If thatl fails, use the reset button on the back of the router to return it to default settings. Push a pin in it and hold it till the lights flash.
      Thanks for the tip - will try that later. Because I'm a bit slow at these kind of things, could you explain why using my name for the connection isn't a good idea?

I didn't realise the e-mail address I used when registering would automatically be copied over into my threads. Have amended this now - many thanks for your help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

could you explain why using my name for the connection isn't a good idea?
      It is broadcast far and wide, you are not the only one to see it. It gives anyone who dislikes you a start in hacking your connection.

SSIDs are better being anonymous. Some even advocate not broadcasting them at all, but I doubt there is anything to be gained, and it gives some OSs a pain trying to connect legitimately.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.