Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Lan Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Lan Connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all. I have the old style Netgear DG834T white router. Been fine for years. In the past few days ...

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Intermittent Lan Connection

Hi all.

I have the old style Netgear DG834T white router. Been fine for years.

In the past few days however, I can't seem to get a stable Lan wired connection to the router. On a Win 7 PC the connection just disappears and no resetting the adapter on the PC can bring it back (drivers are all up to date).

Most times it's solved by rebooting the router. Other times, the connection just comes back on it's own (after what seems like ages).

The wireless connection however is fine, as I can still connect to the router and browse the internet from my phone.

The stupid Lan card is on the motherboard, so at the moment I'm trying to source another network card to see if that's the issue. In the meantime, does anyone know of anything that may cause this? Is the router on the way out? Or is the most likely culprit the PC?

I tried contacting Support via Sky's website, told them all what I've just said above...got an email just now (hence why I'm here!) telling me to change the wireless channel on the router.

Would you believe in writing this post the lan connection has just gone again....good job I saved this to a text file.

I dispair!

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Intermittent Lan Connection

I tried contacting Support via Sky's website, told them all what I've just said above...got an email just now (hence why I'm here!) telling me to change the wireless channel on the router.
      Like changing the channel is going to effect the ethernet ports

What might help is turning off the wireless altogether. The wireless card in the router uses resources and also creates additional heat, this can effect other parts of the router. Changing the channel will not make one bit of difference, as you probably know.

Have you tried plugging into a different port on the router? As routers get older, different ports may give different results. Also try turning your cable round, plug the end you have in the PC into the router and vice-versa.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Would you believe that I tried replying yesterday and my lan connection dropped again! Doing this from work now.
      I've tried a different port, no joy.
      Will try a different cable tonight (will borrow one from work!)
      Going to get a mate to get me a new lan card as well to borrow.

Thing is, I could phone sky up and tell them that I've tried all these things and they'll probably still want to take me through the mundane diagnostics!

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi kan.grewal,

Sorry to read about the issues you are having trying to connect wired to your router and apologise in the incorrect information you received by email advising you to change the wireless channel on your router.

Did you manage to try another ethernet cable or LAN card?
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Thanks

Haven't managed to try a different card as I've got win 7 64 bit and it's a bit tricky to get a card from work with 64 bit drivers!
      Going to try a new cable tonight if(when) the connection goes!