Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can My Sky Netgear Be Hacked

This is a discussion on Can My Sky Netgear Be Hacked within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Hoping you can help, I am trying to eliminate the various problems I am having and it's all a ...

wolfie34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can My Sky Netgear Be Hacked

Hi

Hoping you can help, I am trying to eliminate the various problems I am having and it's all a nightmare, knowing if I have problems with browser hacking, computer hacking or internet hacking. I guess I am paranoid but I need to know if someone is accessing my computer.

How stable is Sky Broadband? Is it possible that my internet could be compromised, and my router be hacked into?

If so what steps can I take to make sure I am blocking any hackers

Sky keep telling me to use MacAfee, but it doesn't work with a Mac and I have been told it slows the computer down.

Is it possible to secure my router / internet from hackers?

Please explain in layman details

Thank you kindly for any help and assistance.

Brian

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Can My Sky Netgear Be Hacked

With the right level of skill, it would be possible to hack most routers made for the home market. There are some basic security features built into the Netgear router to prevent many of the common issues. Some can be tightened up & personalised.

Having said that though, what makes you suspect that you are being targeted by a hacker?

Have you any specific AV software installed?

Which firewall are you using?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The safest thing would be to turn off wireless and use an ethernet cable, at least that way without physical access to the router you should be fine.

Failing that you could use MAC filtering and only allow your specific evices access, lthough jus about anything can be hacked eventually with eough knowlede, this should deter all the kiddie hackers out there.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Provided you have not disabled its firewall, there is little likelihood of your router being hacked, but what can happen is that someone can sign in and use your wireless connection. The best way to prevent this is to use a difficult 'phrase' for your Network Key. This can comprise of 8 to 63 characters, that is everything you can type on your keyboard. Never depend on the default key. You should create one with at least 12 characters, which should not be a word or a date. Something like w8H%sKt&O0pA. Something like this is very forgettable, so write it down and keep it in your wallet/purse/secret drawer

You should also use the highest encryption your adapter and router support, nothing less than WPA, WPA2 if you have support for it. Do not use WEP, it is worse than having no security at all.

Sky make it clear in their T & Cs that the security of the router is your responsibility, if it is used for illegal purposes you will carry the can. It is no use saying 'someone used my wireless without my permission'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I would also encourage people to change their default WiFi name and key.

Anyone who wishes to crack a Sky router just needs to run a program to generate 8 random characters and attempt to sign in. Since they are all capital letters, it is easy to hack a Sky router.

There might be around 208827064600 combinations, but a modern Laptop wouldn't take long to crack it.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Router: TP-Link Archer VR2800
      Thanks

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the 8 character network key was hard coded. I didn't know it could be changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dflour69 View Post
      Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that the 8 character network key was hard coded. I didn't know it could be changed.
      If you press the reset button underneath, then the router will default to the original settings.

However I have changed mine to something different.

Click on the 'Setup' tab in the router user interface and you'll see where it can all be changed. Remember to make a note of it though. It can easily be forgotten.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dflour69 View Post
      Just highlight and delete the existing key and put your own in its place. Remember to click Apply or it will not be saved. Pressing the reset button will return it to the original default. When you have done this, backup your settings so they can be returned easily, should you ever have to reset the router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The default wireless network key for the Sky DG834GT routers have been made available online, so it is important to change the key. It is advisable to change the default wireless network key on other sky routers too, because they are far too short to provide high security. There are absolutely no performance differences in using a 63 character over an 8 character key, just the hassle of typing it into each device.

If you are using the dg834gt, make sure the firmware is V1.03.87 or later, as there was a significant vulnerability in one of the earlier firmwares.

Many routers are vulnerable to reflective attacks which can work via your own browser, or email client, but provided that you have changed the router's default admin password, and don't leave yourself logged in to the router's web interface while browsing (the netgear will automatically log you out after a few minutes anyway), you should be protected from that sort of attack.

Never use WEP it is insecure. Use WPA2 if possible. It is possible to crack WPA-psk using distributed (cloud) computing, someone developed an app for amazon's cloud computing system, which I think they claimed will crack the key in under 20 minutes, costing only a few dollars in processing time.

supersneak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: nsblg
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

Sky do offer Mcafee for the Mac, look at the bottom of this page.
      Sky.com - Security Centre>Article

You can also download Sophos free - that's what I use.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...e-edition.aspx