Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No Connection since Friday 17 June

This is a discussion on No Connection since Friday 17 June within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; It is up to you and something that you should take with care, but I might consider calling Sky cancellations ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: No Connection since Friday 17 June

It is up to you and something that you should take with care, but I might consider calling Sky cancellations and asking for a MAC code because you are not prepared to pay for a new router.

At the best of times it is not advised to cancel your Sky BB connection.

An alternative solution is to search eBay and purchase a 2nd hand Sky router. There are often plenty there. Now that the Sagem 2304n has had the firmware update, it is quite stable at last.

Many people were sent out multiple routers over the past few months, so you might get lucky.

If you do get a Sagem 2304n, check which firmware it has when you receive it. If it is an old version, connect it and allow it to update.

The current version is: 5.14.6.1a4N

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      munties is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warminster
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Thanks for the advise Scubbie,

but if the access codes for the modem are coded in each unit how would one from ebay work on my BB ?

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by munties View Post
      I'm at the end of my contract with sky now & although I've always had a great connection speed, I think I'll cancel the HD package, land line & BB to give Virgin a try.
      When they find out you are doing all this over a failed router they will probably send you a new one for free.

Thanks

but if the access codes for the modem are coded in each unit how would one from ebay work on my BB ?
      One of the joys of Sky BB is that whilst each router is hard coded with details to log into their server, any Sky router can be used on your line without any problems.

The only issues I would emphasis are that some people try to flog off broken routers, others sell of routers that they have copied the details from in order to use their own router & some have tried to flash custom firmwares.

If someone has copied the log in details for themselves, then sold off the router, then they may well find themselves locked out of the Sky servers at some stage in the future. Morale: always keep the router that you have extracted the log in details from.

If the router has had a custom firmware burned to it, and it doesn't work, then pressing the reset button for around 50 seconds can revert the router to the original firmware in some cases.

If the router doesn't work, then you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act.

A final possible issue to be aware of is a rare one. Sometimes Sky locks a router from their servers. If this is the case, then a friendly phone call to Sky will get the router unlocked.

laners is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01761
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I too have the same fault & only live 30 miles away from Bath, I have been told today that I will need a new power supply & will have to pay for it to be sent.

I am not allowed by the user agreement to use my own equipment & I have to pay for something I never chose or have a choice in whether its the best equipment for me.

I understand keeping everyone on the same equipment to make things easier to fault find, but it does seem to sting when all we seem to hear is how the EU is making providers of any service, ensure that the customer has a choice & is not restricted by products of only one manufacture.
      How odd as i had the same problem and i am only 10 miles from bath!!!
      after hours on the phone to sky and trying god knows how many things with them talking me thru it still nothing.
      A week later after being on the phone to them every day a lady rang and said try a different power supply and hey presto i am back connected.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If the router doesn't work, then you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act.
      Unfortunately that is not the case, neither the Sale of Goods Act nor the distance selling regulations apply to private individuals selling stuff on eBay, the local paper or anywhere else.

That is why eBay and Paypal have the resolution center to try and smooth things out.

That's why in these cases it is always "buyer beware", although you should be able to get a feel in a seller is ok or not on eBay.

Although back to the original topic it still makes me laugh how Sky is still sending out a huge amount of routers when they don't need to (ie Sagem router fiasco) and then when they do have to they get all mean and try and charge people.

It must be costing them customers still.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Unfortunately that is not the case, neither the Sale of Goods Act nor the distance selling regulations apply to private individuals selling stuff on eBay, the local paper or anywhere else.

That is why eBay and Paypal have the resolution center to try and smooth things out.

That's why in these cases it is always "buyer beware", although you should be able to get a feel in a seller is ok or not on eBay.
      No problem. I can't say that I have much experience with eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      Although back to the original topic it still makes me laugh how Sky is still sending out a huge amount of routers when they don't need to (ie Sagem router fiasco) and then when they do have to they get all mean and try and charge people.

It must be costing them customers still.
      Reasons why Sky really should look at allowing customers to use their own routers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Reasons why Sky really should look at allowing customers to use their own routers.
      But if you have problems would Sky insist you go out and buy another router before they send out an engineer ? This is their policy with their own routers and they probably waste ŁKs doing it, as 9 times out of 10 it is a line problem and few seem to send the routers back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Whilst I accept that routers can and do fail, even those which are bought from a computer store, it does seem that Sky personnel are very free and easy with sending out replacement routers at times.

If we were able to use our own routers, then I wonder how many people already have more than one router that they could use on an ADSL line?

I would certainly be nice if Sky could offer a choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12