Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This has been getting worse over the last week. The noise margin on the downstream jumps from about 11db to ...

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection

This has been getting worse over the last week. The noise margin on the downstream jumps from about 11db to 2147483642db as soon as I load Firefox or IE. The connection then drops and it can take about 10 mins before it comes back up. The connection was up for about 20mins so I decided to test the line by downloading a Linux ISO as soon as I started the download the upstream noise jumped to 2147483647db so roughly the same as the downstream. I have the router permanently connected to the master test socket. I have changed the 3 microfilters and that appeared to settle the line but it's now back to it's old ways again. Anything else I could check? I have attached a screen print of the download and upstream noise margins

Oops before I forget, the router is a Netgear DG834G, I have also changed that for the black Sky DG934 that they sent me a long time ago but same thing happens with that one.
      Attached Files Attached Files

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Intermittent Connection

Since you are using the test socket, can you double check that any hard wired extension is dead?

If this is the case, then it may be useful to perform a "Quiet Line Test".

Using a corded telephone, dial 17070 and follow the prompts for a quiet line test.

Also on a separate call, again using the corded telephone, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

If either test fails or you can hear any noise, then it is definitely a line fault. In any case I suspect that this is a line fault and you will need to call your line provider (i.e. whom ever you pay your line rental to).

If your call provider isn't Sky, don't mention the ADSL problem.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Redman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Ok dialled for the quiet line test and after about 6 mins I got a reply saying thanks for using the service and that was it, nothing to say whether there was a fault. I can hear a lot of crackling on the line but that appears to be intermittent as well. I'll now have to wait for the wife to return as she is the only one able to speak to our line provider. Thanks for the help so far.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

That 'crackling' is the problem.

It can be caused be many things. Typically it'll be a overhead line that has become damaged.

If you have any trees near your line between your home and the green street box, then this would be a good place for someone to look.

If this is the case, then the branches will need to be trimmed and a new telephone cable installed by BTO.

Similar problems have occurred with underground wiring.Poor connections, water damage or ground movement can be the cause in these cases.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Ok dialled for the quiet line test and after about 6 mins I got a reply saying thanks for using the service and that was it,
      You do not get a verbal report for the quiet line test, you just have to listen and if there is anything other than a very faint hiss, you have noise on the line. Did you do this check with the router disconnected? If so try it with it connected, noise then could indicate a faulty filter. If you are using filters from the same batch they could all be faulty. Try it with a non Sky one, the Sky filters can be really bad at times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.