Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wake On Lan Sagecom 2304N

This is a discussion on Wake On Lan Sagecom 2304N within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have used WOL (Wake on Lan) in the past, to turn on my main (wired) PC via the ...

Ssscrudddy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01604
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Freeview
      Thanks

Wake On Lan Sagecom 2304N

Hi, I have used WOL (Wake on Lan) in the past, to turn on my main (wired) PC via the internet or even on the local network (LAN), so I know how to do it, & I know my PC can do it.

Unfortunately this new sagecom router seems to forget the PC is attached when the PC is turned off, & doesnt bother broadcasting the magic packet.

When the PC to be woken is turned on, I can confirm the magic packet is recieved. If I shut down this PC & send the wake up packet straight away, it will indeed still wake it up.
      However once the PC has been turned off for a while it doesnt work. The router just doesnt bother broadcasting the magic packet.

I have used a reserved address in the router for said PC & assigned the PC to use its own reserved address.

Internet - Sagecom router - PC to be woken

If I add in another router, then it works just fine.

Internet - Sagecom router - Lynksis BEFSR41 (DSL router) - PC to be woken

Basically the lynksis router is always on, the sagecom router knows its on & keeps it in its list of attached devices, & so broadcasts the magic packet to the lynksis router.

The lynksis router itself doesnt drop devices when they are turned off (when set up correctly)

Trouble is the lynksis router is failing & I would rather not use it, its an issue with the sagecome router dropping attached devices when they are not turned on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Is the pub open yet?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Wake On Lan Sagecom 2304N

Never mind, I think I solved it... (I say think, cuz I havent the patience to leave the pc off for a long period of time!)

I had got a port forwarding rule set up (to forward it to the PC that needed waking)
      So basically the magic packet wasnt being broadcast over the network, instead it was being forwarded to the IP address of said PC, which seeing as it wasnt turned on, it didnt have an IP address.
      Bascially a hangover from years of running behind 2 routers

Once I removed the port forwarding rule, the router broadcast the magic packet when it recieved it, & the correct PC then woke up.
      Is the pub open yet?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Well done.

There was an issue with another of one of Sky's routers which wouldn't support WOL. I use WOL with Logmein which uses a different system so I couldn't compare notes.

It is good to hear the the Sagem 2304n does support this feature.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

mmm unfortunately I have changed my mind again. I am getting inconsistent results.

Basically I can get WOL to work locally only, with just the sagecom router involved. Via internet I cant get it to work.

& for the record it doesnt seem to have anything to do with port forwarding... all I can think is that I used the wrong address earlier (or wrong net connection) as I havent been able to replicate it again.

So as of now, WOL will work locally, but not over the internet, wether the port forwarding rule is enabled or not.

Edit, I cant even forward anything to the broadcast address either, so it seems I cant get it to do Wake on Wan, I can only wake locally & not via internet.
      Last edited by Ssscrudddy; 16-06-11 at 06:21 AM.
      Is the pub open yet?