Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Flashing Amber Light- e connection between your access point, router, or cable modem

This is a discussion on Flashing Amber Light- e connection between your access point, router, or cable modem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on this matter. Its a bit difficult as my ...

Deviljester is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Flashing Amber Light- e connection between your access point, router, or cable modem

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on this matter. Its a bit difficult as my parents have been describing the problem and the things they have been doing over the phone, but I will try to relay the info they gave me.

On Friday night the router @ symbol started to constantly flash amber and it has been doing this ever since. According to my parents it has at times been both a solid amber light, flashing one and no light at all.

They have troubleshooted the problem on the pc and it came back with the message 'connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the internet is broken'. We do have an extension cable which runs from our phone socket to the router, but they have tested this connection by bypassing it completely. Unfortunately, we do not have a test phone socket behind the face plate, so we can't access it in this way.

My parents phoned Sky and they did their obligatory tests, running through them, asking my parents to hang up so they could test the line etc. The woman sounds pretty useless as she said she will send a wireless adapter, so we can access the internet via a wireless connection, unlike our ethernet connection now.

However, we tried to connect wirelessly with my laptop and while it detected the wireless it did not connect as there was no internet to connect to.

I have been reading about this on the forum and have come across people with similar problems, saying it was a problem with the BT exchange. Do you think this is the same problem I have and can you suggest any tests I could perform to understand the problem better?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Flashing Amber Light- e connection between your access point, router, or cable mo

Flashing amber internet light = no sync issue. Problem lies between exchange and router. Likely to be wiring/equipment/set-up related. Get the following information from your parents:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Deviljester (12-06-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Flashing Amber Light- e connection between your access point, router, or cable mo

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Flashing amber internet light = no sync issue. Problem lies between exchange and router. Likely to be wiring/equipment/set-up related. Get the following information from your parents:

How many telephone sockets do you use?
      Is there a microfilter connected directly into each telephone socket in use, ensuring that nothing is before the filter?
      Is the router connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
      Are you using the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided, or running an extension telephone cable to the router?
      Do you have Sky tv connected to any telephone sockets?
      Hello,

First answer- we use two telephone sockets. We have one main socket which is connected to the phone and our sky tv as well as an extension cable, which runs to our second telephone sock.
      Second answer- a microfilter is connected directly into each telephone socket, both main and secondary
      Third answer- the router is connected to the extension socket
      Fourth answer- we are using the short, grey dsl cable provided by Sky, connecting the Sky router to the secondary socket
      Fifth answer- sky tv is connected to the main phone socket.

By way of preempting suggestions, my father did by pass the secondary socket and connected it to the main phone socket, but it still didn;t work.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Try the following -

1. Unplug all devices from both telephone sockets, this includes filters, splitters, sky tv etc.
      2. Plug just a filter direct into the master socket with the short grey dsl cable going from the modem port on the filter to the router. NO other equipment involved, such as extension cables, splitters etc.
      3. Power the router on and leave for 60 seconds and check whether the internet (@) light goes green. If so, it's the set-up that is at issue i.e. the extension most likely.

If your parents try that and find still no green internet light, then tell them to check for noise or issues on the landline telephone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Deviljester (12-06-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think they have already done this, probably with the Sky adviser, and it still didn't work.

They did say at one point that the dial tone on the phone line was strange in as much as it wasn't a constant noise but the dial tone going up and down in volume. If this is the case does that suggest a problem with the telephone exchange, i.e. an external one which Sky will have to rectify?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, they'll want to check out why the dial tone is like that. First off, just double check there isn't a voicemail (dial 1571). If it isn't just a voicemail tone, then try the phone direct at the master socket with no other equipment (no filters etc.), just the phone itself.

If you don't have a test socket and you can still confirm the dial tone is playing like that, then I'd advise your parents to call their line rental provider and inform them of this, as it could be a line/exchange fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cheers for all this help.

We pay Sky for our phone, but I assume they just rent the liens of BT. If the tone is normal and the previous suggestion, i..e. direct connection to master socket fails, what would you suggest?

Exchange:
      Thanks

If the dial tone is fine from the master socket with all of the other equipment disconnected, then it'd suggest a piece of equipment is faulty such as a filter.

In the chance that the dial tone is fine, but you still can't get sync with the router at the master socket, then try another filter. Failing that, contact Sky as they need to do further testing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

Deviljester (12-06-11)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hello,

Just called my parents to get them to check the dial tone and they've said that it is fuzzy, jumping between engaged tones and back ground noise. Seems like this is the problem. Thanks for your help, will contact Sky in due course and get them to sort it out!