Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Think my router is dying

This is a discussion on Think my router is dying within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Many things can leave your noise margin high. In fairness though, you have a very long line. Often members have ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Think my router is dying

Many things can leave your noise margin high. In fairness though, you have a very long line. Often members have been advised to see if they can get their connections changed to ADSL (or G.DMT) when they are this long. This can often improve your speed a little.

If you have tidied up you home connection so that nothing is interfering with it, and if DLM has completed, I would be tempted to call Sky and ask if someone can uncap your connection.

You may get someone who doesn't know what you are on about, so you may need to call back a few times.

Repost your stats when it has been completed.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney13 (10-06-11)

3. Advertisement
      craney13 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Braintree
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Thankyou scubbie, i remember speaking to someone before and they informed me that my line was capped at 4mb so i thought that would be ok as i will never see that speed. Is there a way of finding out via my router if i am on adsl or adsl2+?

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      ...i remember speaking to someone before and they informed me that my line was capped at 4mb so i thought that would be ok as i will never see that speed.
      As things stand, your download speed is maxed out with ADSL2+.

Quote Originally Posted by craney13 View Post
      Is there a way of finding out via my router if i am on adsl or adsl2+?
      The connection speeds are always divisible by 32. Yours are an odd number, no maths required in this instance.

To confirm this, log into your router and click on the 'Maintenance' tab. In the section under 'ADSL Port' is a sub-heading 'Network Type'. Mine is currently show MER, which is also ADSL2+. If yours were on ADSL, then one of the fields would show 'G.DMT' and the 'Network Type' would be PPPoA (PPPoA can also be ADSL2+).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

craney33 (10-06-11)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@ Scubbie: Broadcom chips vary a lot. For instance if I remember correctly one of your netgear routers has a broadcom chip but it still gives you a lower sync then your Sagem router (broadcom chip too). How would you explain that?

The Billion routers are superior to what Sky supply you with. There is a lot of tweaking that can be done with these to push your speed up. One other thing they are popular for is stability for the longer lines.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      @ Scubbie: Broadcom chips vary a lot. For instance if I remember correctly one of your netgear routers has a broadcom chip but it still gives you a lower sync then your Sagem router (broadcom chip too). How would you explain that?
      I know that the Netgear DGN2000 syncs at a lower rate than the Sagem 2304n. I don't know enough about router chipsets to be able to explain it all, so I would bow to better knowledge or personal experience of specific chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      The Billion routers are superior to what Sky supply you with. There is a lot of tweaking that can be done with these to push your speed up. One other thing they are popular for is stability for the longer lines.
      As I tried to point out, there are many different routers out there. Whilst I appreciate the issues over matched chipsets, there are always other factors to consider.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

To confirm this, log into your router and click on the 'Maintenance' tab. In the section under 'ADSL Port' is a sub-heading 'Network Type'. Mine is currently show MER, which is also ADSL2+. If yours were on ADSL, then one of the fields would show 'G.DMT' and the 'Network Type' would be PPPoA (PPPoA can also be ADSL2+).
      You can't tell by that Scubbie, the Network type and Line Mode are two different things. MER can be G.DMT or ADSL2+ as can PPPoA.

If you can divide by 32 then it is G.DMT ADSL2+ will always sync a few kb lower so will give a figure which is not divisible by 32. As an example the stats above will be set at 2752 down and 608 up. ADSL2+ reduces these to the figures shown.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I just bought an RJ11 ADSL 2+ 1m cable from adsl nation as i think it might be a bit better quality than the adsl cable supplied by sky. One thing i have noticed though is that the sky adsl cable only seems to have to gold pins connected to the end of the plug where as the new adsl cable seems to have 4 gold pins attached to the end. Any idea what the difference is?

cheers

craney33 is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thinking of purchasing the billion 7700n think it would be a worth while investment?

Is there any specific setting i would need to change i order for it to work like spoofing the mac adress from my sagemcom?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12