Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

New Sky Router?

This is a discussion on New Sky Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; You will be able to continue to use your Netgear WPN824 with the new router. You may need to change ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: New Sky Router?

You will be able to continue to use your Netgear WPN824 with the new router.

You may need to change the IP address and the DHCP settings on it so that it refers to the same IP range as the Billion router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

boomish (12-06-11)

3. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No worries boomish. You should have no problems just like Scubbie explained. Although with wireless N you should be looking at a significantly better range then G and may even get a good wireless signal in your garden studio on a wireless N device.

If you do get the router don't forget to share your experience with us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

boomish (12-06-11)

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      No worries boomish. You should have no problems just like Scubbie explained. Although with wireless N you should be looking at a significantly better range then G and may even get a good wireless signal in your garden studio on a wireless N device.

If you do get the router don't forget to share your experience with us.
      Will do mate , I ordered it from here PC and Laptop Shop : Ballicom.co.uk - Cheap Laptops, PC's, Monitors, Printers, Software and Networks (not sure if it's ok to post a direct link)
      146 + 2.99 delivery plus I did it through Quidco for a 1% discount , not a lot cheaper but it all helps

I have a new Macbook Pro and an iPad so really looking forward to the N Wireless.
      Exdee likes this.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well after waiting nearly 3 weeks it turns out they haven't got any stock! Plus I can't seem to find a store that has any. Well there are a few like the one I ordered from that show as in stock but it turns out they don't actually have any.
      Is there an alternative Exdee?

Thanks

I'm currently putting my new router through it's paces.

The Netgear DGND3700 is connecting to my Sky LLU connection on par with the Sagem 2304n router. I have the same type of equipment as yourself.

DGND3700

Netgear DGND3700 review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Modem routers

If you have the ability to access the 5GHz WiFi channels then it provides a great opportunity to have a clear channel as not many people currently are using this range.

Before you get stuck in with it though, do check the specifications for the WiFi adaptor/s you have as not all of them are able to work on the 5GHz channels. I bought a new Laptop last December and it does not work in this range.

The Netgear DGND3700 currently costs from around 135. Typically most sites are around 150-160. This is a nice little package:

Netgear DGND3700 N600 Wireless Dual Band ADSL Modem.. | Ebuyer.com

Currently I'm pushing the router through it's paces. I'll report in more detail in due course.

The stats below were taken just now. I changed the 2.4GHz WiFi channel just now to see if I could improve things, hence it's showing an up time of 15 minutes. Last night I was attempting to play with MER, so the overall up time is only around 6 hours.

Check here for more information:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...3700-n600.html
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Sky Router?-stats-29-06-11.jpg  

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

boomish (29-06-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, well I went to bed last night only to find the router had lost internet and all it's LAN ip settings, a reoott got the service back , but I woke this morning and the service had gone again, so it's got to go, I shall ring Sky to see what they say but to be honest I'd rather get something I know will work well.
      What about this point of getting a router with the same "conexant kit" for my connection? or shall I wait and see what you think of the Netgear you are testing?
      Thanks again for the help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      Thanks Scubbie, well I went to bed last night only to find the router had lost internet and all it's LAN ip settings, a reoott got the service back , but I woke this morning and the service had gone again, so it's got to go, I shall ring Sky to see what they say but to be honest I'd rather get something I know will work well.
      We all would like a router that works well and doesn't keep letting us down. Many people now rely on having a good Internet connection and I believe that this is going to become more important as we progress.

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      What about this point of getting a router with the same "conexant kit" for my connection? or shall I wait and see what you think of the Netgear you are testing?
      Thanks again for the help.
      I've been having lots of fun these past few days (I can be evil ) and seem to have found it's weak points. I'll be cross checking with the Netgear forum and contacting Netgear in due course, but overall this does seem to be a nice router.

I would like others who have this router to contribute their experiences before coming to any conclusion. Whilst I'm not the most extreme user, I would argue that this router is having some problems with me pushing it at the moment. There is a thread elsewhere on this forum where people can discuss things more.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...tml#post328893

Edit: Apparently there are several DGND3700 owners experiencing frequent disconnections. Perhaps until this is resolved, it might not be such a good idea to purchased this router.

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115
      Last edited by Scubbie; 29-06-11 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks

A router with a conexant chipset will give you a higher sync. There's not much to choose from as it's a rare chipset. Apart from the 7402NX the only other router which I know of that uses a conexant chipset is a Netgear Dg834gv5. It's not N rated and has no advanced configuration options like the Billion 7402NX.

The 7402NX is the perfect tool for the job. You should be able to get it. Might have to make a few phone calls to check stock availability. I would personally get in touch with expansys and ask them about availability. Maplin says it has it in stock but the price is a bit high in comparison to the other websites.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Last night I was attempting to play with MER, so the overall up time is only around 6 hours.
      As someone who is interested in using my own router. Were you able to connect to Sky broadband with MER with the Netgear DGND3700. And if so what settings did you use.

The Netgear DGND3700 looks a nice bit of kit (may consider buying it). Is DGND3700 able to use a DG Team custom firmware?

Thanks

DGTeam stopped developing firmware last year.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (30-06-11)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast