Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

New Sky Router?

This is a discussion on New Sky Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by pijh I'm after a Wireless-N router so was wondering which type would be suitable for me and ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Router?

Quote Originally Posted by pijh View Post
      I'm after a Wireless-N router so was wondering which type would be suitable for me and my exchange's chipset.
      Broadcom in your case too.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadband-Wireless-N/dp/B002TOKGL8/]Billion BiPAC 7800N[/ame]
      or the relatively cheaper Billion BiPAC 7700N

Keep in mind though that the BiPAC 7700N is a new product. It's being launched in three days time and the initial firmware may have some bugs. Both routers however have the same chipset.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billy_liar View Post
      Is that true that I should expect a replacement router for free?

My four year old DG834GT lost internet connectivity over the weekend and after four days faffing about with customer services I have been charged £28 for an unspecified replacement. Should I be asking for a refund?
      It's a bit of a hit and a miss really. My DG834GT packed up this January and I went through the usual troubleshooting procedure and the advisor herself established that it was probably the router. I did mention to her during our conversation that the router was 3-4 years old. She sent me a free replacement.

But I had to ring back for this. The first two advisors I spoke to tried to fob me off.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      A router with a broadcom chipset will be best suited in your case. Your D-Link 2640s has a broadcom chipset too. But you can improve your sync by getting a router such as a Billion 7800N.
      Thanks very much for the help, its much appreciated

I'm thinking ahead here, but with Sky moving people over onto a MER connection (I know it is still possible to connect via PPPoE) but I am a bit apprehensive on purchasing my own router, as if in the future Sky decide to switch off the ability to connect via PPPoE and instead have everyone on a MER connection.

It would be interesting to see if there are any routers out there that have the ability to connect via MER. I think I'll have a look through the Billion range to see.

The 7800N seems a superb router judging by the reviews.

After looking at the 7700 and the 7800, they both seem to allow a connection my MER:

From Billion website:

ATM and PPP Protocols
      • ATM Adaptation Layer Type 5 (AAL5)
      • Multiple Protocol over AAL5 (RFC 2684, formerly RFC 1483)
      • Bridged or routed Ethernet encapsulation
      • VC and LLC based multiplexing
      • PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
      • PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)
      • Classical IP over ATM (RFC 1577)
      • MAC Encapsulated Routing (RFC 1483 MER)
      • OAM F4 / F5
      Last edited by Tal71; 09-06-11 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

Yh I noticed the MER compatibility bit too. On paper this router is quite future proof. The 7800N is a good investment with it's dual WAN connection which is a quite good keeping in mind the fibre roll outs across the UK. The fact that most of the ISPs in the UK have broadcom kits in the exchange is a plus point too. Should you leave Sky chances are the 7800N will still be a useful piece of kit.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yh I noticed the MER compatibility bit too. On paper this router is quite future proof. The 7800N is a good investment with it's dual WAN connection which is a quite good keeping in mind the fibre roll outs across the UK. The fact that most of the ISPs in the UK have broadcom kits in the exchange is a plus point too. Should you leave Sky chances are the 7800N will still be a useful piece of kit.
      I'm seriously thinking of getting the 7800N, but before I went and purchased it, I would want to know if it was possible to connect with Sky (with a previously extracted username and password) with a MER connection. If if would be, then I would order one.

Thanks

As far as I know MER does not require a username and a password. The maximum you will have to do is clone your MAC address to match that of your Sky router. I would try it but I am on the Easynet DSLAM so no MER for me.

If you do buy online you will be covered by distance selling regulations and could return it if you can't get it to connect as MER.

Exchange:
      Thanks

As far as I know MER does not require a username and a password. The maximum you will have to do is clone your MAC address to match that of your Sky router. I would try it but I am on the Easynet DSLAM so no MER for me.

If you do buy online you will be covered by distance selling regulations and could return it if you can't get it to connect as MER.
      Thanks very much for the useful advice, very interesting. I can remember cloning the Sky D-Link router's MAC address when I used my old Netgear, which was a fairly easy procedure.

I think I'll start my own post and ask people who own the 7800N 'if it would be possible to connect with Sky (with a previously extracted username and password) with a MER connection.

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      I have just done this and was wondering what equipment my exchange has, and based on this, what router would provide me with the best/better speeds. Apologise again for hijacking the thread somewhat.
      yes I should think so...it's my thread I tell you mine!

seriously na it's great to see help here mucho thanks to Exdee for the help.
      I ran the traceroute on my Mac, for fellow Mac users you can use the Network utility in Utilities folder it has a Traceroute function or you can run Tracroute from he terminal.

This is mine Exdee will the Billion router do me too? be great to get a Gigabit router, really appreciate the help..

Traceroute has started…

traceroute to sky.com (80.238.9.179), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
      1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 1.513 ms 1.994 ms 2.754 ms
      2 cr1.lwisl.uk.easynet.net (82.108.10.244) 26.497 ms 27.315 ms 26.274 ms
      3 82.111.100.1 (82.111.100.1) 23.941 ms 23.504 ms 23.415 ms
      4 ip-89-200-130-100.ov.easynet.net (89.200.130.100) 25.659 ms 25.923 ms 25.608 ms
      5 ip-89-200-130-101.ov.easynet.net (89.200.130.101) 25.942 ms 25.807 ms 26.116 ms
      6 ip-80-238-8-10.bskyb.com (80.238.8.10) 69.333 ms 28.642 ms 27.101 ms
      7 * * *

Thanks

You are on the conexant kit. (just like me)

Unfortunately the router for the job from Billion is quite expensive: Billion BiPAC 7402NX

Incase you want to know how to work out your required chipset: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Exdee For This Useful Post:

boomish (11-06-11)

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You are on the conexant kit. (just like me)

Unfortunately the router for the job from Billion is quite expensive: Billion BiPAC 7402NX

Incase you want to know how to work out your required chipset: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...est-speed.html
      Exdee mate I can't thank you enough, I've never even heard of Billion routers but after reading a bit these seem great, expensive but I do work from home a lot, plus I use the net a lot throughout the home, inc an Apple TV and Laptops so any wireless improvement would be welcome.
      1 last question if you don't mind I currently use a Netgear WPN824 on the end of a long ethernet cable out to a garden studio as an extension for my internet, I turn off DHCP in it and it seems to work find extending the network both wired and wireless in the garden. Will I be able to use this the same or is there something else I might need to do the same job? Maybe a compatible gigabit router/bridge etc.
      Thanks again people like you giving up time for advice is what makes great forums..I would never have found this info out..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast