Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Orange internet light on router - what does this mean?

This is a discussion on Orange internet light on router - what does this mean? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello all, let me start by saying what a great community you have going here! All very helpful! Anyways, our ...

jake_the_pake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Orange internet light on router - what does this mean?

Hello all,

let me start by saying what a great community you have going here! All very helpful!

Anyways, our Sky broadband unlimited & phone line was activated last week (25/05) so I am still within the 10 day DLM period. We switched to Sky from BT partly through convenience of having everything together but mainly as we were sick of the rubbish internet connection we got from BT which we paid through the nose for. 7.50 a month compared to 30 a month is a no brainer! Even if the speed was the same/slightly worse, it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper!

Then I heard that Sky used something called 'LLU' (still not sure what it means) which can be faster than the standard BT broadband and that our exchange is set up for it - so got a bit hopeful!

Anyways, switch on date came, got everything up and running and - wahey - improvement in speed straight away! This fluctuated slightly for the first couple of days but was consistently faster. I believed the DLM period was to steadily increase the speed until the line reached its sustainable peak so was excited at the prospect of this improving further!

However, for the last couple of days - speeds have dropped significantly and I have noticed that this coincides with the internet '@' light turning orange on the hub - which is a Sagem 2304, I believe.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what this means? Is this to be expected during the 10 day period? Will my speeds return to how they were on the first day? Or improve beyond that? My speeds with BT were on average about 1.6 mb/s, on the first day of Sky I was at about 4 mb/s in case that matters.

Thanks a lot in advance for any guidance!

Adam

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

Re: Orange internet light on router - what does this mean?

The @ light is the connectivity light - if it's green then you have a connection and an IP address so should be online without issue. An orange light means you have connection but have no authenticated on the Sky server (no IP address)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

An orange light means you have been disconnected from the Sky server. There have been lots of problems reported about this router and an upgrade to the firmware is ongoing. If you have not received it yet, try turning off the wireless, this sometimes helps.

When the problem with the router is sorted out your speed should return. It should not loose its connection to often while DLM is running or the speed will be reduced. If DLM completes and leaves your speed low it can be manually configured by Sky help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

But my Internet connection is working (I'm using it right now...). It's just a lit slower than when first activated.

I've seen lots of warnings about turning the router off during the 10 day period? Is it safe to do so or should I wait till after and then try switching it Off/on?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jake_the_pake View Post
      But my Internet connection is working (I'm using it right now...). It's just a lit slower than when first activated.

I've seen lots of warnings about turning the router off during the 10 day period? Is it safe to do so or should I wait till after and then try switching it Off/on?
      It is alright to reset your router on an occasional basis.

What is discouraged is repeatedly reseting the router as this can be misinterpreted.

It is also worth pointing out that should you reset your router several times once DLM has completed, you could actually cause DLM to reconfigure your line at a lower speed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

So it's fine to restart my router during the DLM period? This is supposed to be over on Saturday (10 days from switch on) and there seems to be no sign of my speed getting close to what it was on day 1, never mind improving beyond this.

I believe I can phone sky after this point and ask them to manually check/set up the speed of the line?

This just doesn't seem fair to me considering I'm about 500 meters from my exchange!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Could you post your router stats please?

Perhaps members can help you to identify the problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

The only time an orange light should affect speed is when the Ethernet port goes to orange to show it's gone from 100Mbps to 10Mbps
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Just a guess but it is possible you are on a test speed and not properly connected. Another reason could be a faulty PSU, not putting out the correct current.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok so I tried to get my stats and noticed that I could not access my router through the browser as I normally would do. It was giving me a no connection message as if the net wasn't connected - which it was.

Figured what the hell so I restarted the router. The light that was orange is now green and I have been able to access my stats, which are as follows:

ADSL Link
      Downstream
      Upstream

Connection Speed
      3067 kbps
      798 kbps

Line Attenuation
      38.0 dB
      21.7 dB

Noise Margin
      12.4 dB
      16.0 dB

That shed any light on anything? Should I be calling Sky after today to check that the DLM has given me the best speed I'm going to get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast